Home heat in winter

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
If natural gas is not available in your area, take a hard look at high efficiency heat pumps. They will be cheaper to run than propane or oil. Not sure against pellet stoves that is not a real comparison.

We are out in the country, so no NG nearby. I priced out hybrid heat pumps last year but it was around $16k to replace both units completely. A bit more than I was hoping for.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I thought it was more, but I'm honestly not sure. It would depend on how far the gas line has to be run and how much digging is needed. And then you have the cost to convert your baseboard radiator (hot water) system to a vented system. I have central air so I'm assuming I would just use the existing duct-work.

You cant just keep the baseboard radiators?

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I don't see why not. You are just changing to a high efficient on demand water heater or combo boiler.

Thats what I figure. My boiler right now is heated by burning oil. I figure the water can also be heated by burning natural gas. Same pipes, just a different boiler.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Jake I have a 3500 sf home and heat with oil (forced hot air). Just spent close to $900 to fill my 275 gl oil tank here in ct. Hate it and it kills me to spend that much on heating. I also have a 1000 gl propane tank buried in the yard that we use for our whole house generator and pool heater as well as a gas fired fireplace with a thermostat and blower to regulate it. Propane was $1.81 a gl when I just filled it last. I will be converting our furnace/HWH over to Propane in the spring. As for now we try to heat the house with the FP and it works out great but the LR where it resides gets pretty damn warm. That's ok with the kids and the dog but drives me out lol. But the energy savings is fine with me. That thing heats up the entire house. We have a grand entrance and it goes right up there and enters all the upper rooms. cuts down enormously on our energy bills during the COLD months!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I am thinking geo-thermal might be my next move. House is plumbed for HVAC so with some changes it should work.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I am thinking geo-thermal might be my next move. House is plumbed for HVAC so with some changes it should work.

Best investment of them all. You will receive every dime of your money back in 5-7 years. I have performed many home energy audits, the average payback period is 4.75 years. I've installed hundreds of tons of geothermal systems as well.

Not to mention, Maryland residents can participate in the Renewable Energy Credit market. Certified Geothermal equipment's BTU capacity is converted into kilowatts which is then converted in REC credits. These credits are traded on the market, divined reimbursement check are issued quarterly thus reducing your payback period to less than 4 years.

Last edited:

Nukem1040

Established Member
Sorry I didn't read all 3 pages if someone already mentioned these. My parent-in-laws have one of these and their gas heater barley turns on during the night. This heater takes care of there home in all rooms. Not huge on square footage but maybe if you bought 2? Saves them hundreds every winter. Thought I'd share.
Shop infrared heaters at Lowes.com: Search Results!

newbie1276

Established Member
Goodman forced air 95% plus efficiency natural gas unit. The best investment I have put in home. $350 plus heat bills per month prior to unit install.
Gas bills dropped to just under$ 200 per month after unit. Then nest thermostat dropped bills another $40-50 a month. Temp is set by nest to 68-70 degrees.

97StangSVT

Established Member
I have a cape cod house, roughly 1600 sq. ft. The original propane gas furnace is still in the house, it is about 20 years old. My propane tank is in the ground and I own it. I filled it up with about 240 gallons of propane back in July and I paid $1.249 a gallon. Best thing I ever did was to buy the tank because the company that leased it to me wanted to charge me $3.89 a gallon. I paid about $380 for the tank. I go through about 2 tank fulls when I run the heater. I can't complain!

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member

As long as you have the land and well to support an open loop or the money to support a closed loop it's great. Like I posted before, electric bill is never more than $200 in the winter. Goes up to $250-275 in the summer when the compressor has to run. That's in a 3,500 sqft house. That's the only utility we pay... no gas, no oil, etc. We have a fireplace and a wood stove and tons of free wood out back if I wanted to get that winter bill even lower, too. We have an older unit, probably 15-20 years on it now. Had to get the AC charged at the beginning of this summer, was told that I should look into moving to a new unit as they are much more efficient.

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
We open the windows in the winter here. Summer kicks our butts though.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Jake I have a 3500 sf home and heat with oil (forced hot air). Just spent close to $900 to fill my 275 gl oil tank here in ct. Hate it and it kills me to spend that much on heating. I also have a 1000 gl propane tank buried in the yard that we use for our whole house generator and pool heater as well as a gas fired fireplace with a thermostat and blower to regulate it. Propane was $1.81 a gl when I just filled it last. I will be converting our furnace/HWH over to Propane in the spring. As for now we try to heat the house with the FP and it works out great but the LR where it resides gets pretty damn warm. That's ok with the kids and the dog but drives me out lol. But the energy savings is fine with me. That thing heats up the entire house. We have a grand entrance and it goes right up there and enters all the upper rooms. cuts down enormously on our energy bills during the COLD months!

$1.81!!!! Propane up here is only pennies cheaper than gas....amazing

Users who are viewing this thread