How many of you with 600+ RWHP have rebuilt/upgraded your T-56?

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
A TVS or Whipple is finally in the not so distant future along with some fuel system upgrades, but it also occurred to me that it might be time to rebuild the transmission since it's got 88K miles worth of abuse on it. How many of you with over 600 RWHP have upgraded? How many haven't and blown up your T-56? What rebuild kits do you recommend?

JrSVT

Established Member
I had to have mine rebuilt with only 450rwhp...A lot of the wear and tear that your transmission sees is in the way you drive your car. I took my car to the drag strip on a weekly basis and would power shift every time down the track....sometimes on the street too during "spirited driving". The T-56 is pretty stout and I've seen people with 600+ rwhp with no problems out of a completely stock transmission, even with a 10 spline input shaft.

Honestly if your transmission shifts fine and you are happy with it, there is no need to get it rebuilt.

If you are doing the rebuild just to prevent breakage down the road I would suggest Tick Performance in North Carolina. They do a lot of T-56 work for the LS guys. http://www.tickperformance.com/t56-rebuild-packages-9/

Jr.

olympic

Established Member
I have a Tranzilla T56 by Rockland Standard Gear, installed by the previous owner. A little overkill at 600 HP but pretty much bulletproof. I may not have chosen that option myself since I don't drag race the car but it's definitely an option and a very well built trans.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I will rebuild it when it breaks, and it will be new carbon fiber/kevlar syncros/billet shift forks. The 26 spline input shaft is the main thing that needs to be done, after that, at 600rwhp, I really wouldn't worry much.

I've seen mixed reviews on the Tranzilla AND the magnum at the roughly 700rwhp level, so I will just get this one rebuilt.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
I will rebuilt it when it breaks, and it will be new carbon fiber/kevlar syncros/billet shift forks. The 26 spline input shaft is the main thing that needs to be done, after that, at 600rwhp, I really wouldn't worry much.

+65000

FWIW Steve, My car's making 619whp, and is on the factory 10 spline still, and other than a beefier clutch, is running OE Trans. A few of our cars I can think off real quick are at 800+ on factory trans, no need for upgrade unless something catastrophic happens.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
+65000

FWIW Steve, My car's making 619whp, and is on the factory 10 spline still, and other than a beefier clutch, is running OE Trans. A few of our cars I can think off real quick are at 800+ on factory trans, no need for upgrade unless something catastrophic happens.

It's a good point, if you already have a clutch capable of holding the new found power, don't touch the input shaft. When it's time to upgrade the clutch, do the 26 spline. (or when/if the stock 10 spline breaks)

AMP-D

Established Member
It's a good point, if you already have a clutch capable of holding the new found power, don't touch the input shaft. When it's time to upgrade the clutch, do the 26 spline. (or when/if the stock 10 spline breaks)

Typically 450 fwhp is the point of failure on the 10 spline shaft depending on weight of the car, clutch type, type of tire and how much you're beating on it. Will some people have better luck with a 10 spline shaft at higher levels? Sure.

With a 26 spline shaft, you're typically going to strip the teeth off the gear before the splined portion fails.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Hmm, I guess the consensus is to leave it be until it pops. I've already installed a 26-spline input shaft, Spec Aluminum flywheel & Stage 3+ clutch/pressure plate, FRPP TOB, and Lethal retainer sleeve. I guess I'll leave it alone until it's time for a new clutch and then consider a rebuild.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Hmm, I guess the consensus is to leave it be until it pops. I've already installed a 26-spline input shaft, Spec Aluminum flywheel & Stage 3+ clutch/pressure plate, FRPP TOB, and Lethal retainer sleeve. I guess I'll leave it alone until it's time for a new clutch and then consider a rebuild.

I have to disagree.

If you wait till something breaks, you are going to be spending a lot more money fixing other hard parts in the trans. Get some metal in there and you'll be replacing gears as well and things are going to add up real quick. Then you get to sit there and go "hmm, should I just go Magnum".

At the end of the day, the Magnum has stronger gears. None of the rebuilds or upgrades address the stock gear set of the T-56.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
I have to disagree.

If you wait till something breaks, you are going to be spending a lot more money fixing other hard parts in the trans. Get some metal in there and you'll be replacing gears as well and things are going to add up real quick. Then you get to sit there and go "hmm, should I just go Magnum".

At the end of the day, the Magnum has stronger gears. None of the rebuilds or upgrades address the stock gear set of the T-56.

I agree with the above. Waiting for something to break could end up costing your more money. I am at 600RWHP now and feel that my stage 1 from Tick could use more beefing up. Below is what I did with mine from Tick Performance.

-Carbon kevlar synchro rings
-Keys and springs
-Seals
-Billet 1-2 keys
-Billet 3-4 keys
-Bronze 1-2-3-4 fork pads
-Bronze shifter bushing
-Steel 3-4 shift fork
-26 spline input shaft
-Steel TOB tube

modFTW

Established Member
That's false Corbic. I have a GForce built T56 and they do have awhole new gear set. Magnums are great and all but I had that option and chose to save another $1800 and have the strongest T56 possible. Yes mine is a dog tooth trans but drive the wheels off my car and love the mechanical feel. Plus its good for 1200rw. No its not in the mach1 in my sig.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
cobra spec t-56's already have the steel 3/4 fork, hope you didn't pay extra for that boosted...

the main weak points on the stock unit are the 10-spline, stamped tob retainer, and the stamped shift keys. also maybe the plastic fork pads.

upgrade those items and the trans is stout. another vote here that op is good to go, just run it...

Dave.O

Established Member
I have had mine apart for various repairs 3 time with the last one being a full "rebuild/upgrade" when I broke 3rd due to bad done shift at speed, <50K miles but I track my car and its only pullied (approx 460 rwhp). I now have all the upgrades boosted listed above.
The tolerance or life span of the T56 is based on usage as JrSVT indicated above.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
Way back when, I did the 26 spline input and steel tob sleeve on mine, and otherwise left it all factory. It lasted for a LONG time under some serious abuse. Multiple power levels, all the way to 915 wheel where 5th gear finally let go at 160+. But, it was all driver. I put a borrowed trans in and finished the weekend with no issues.

It is amazing what these can hold. especially in a car that has some weight removed.

Users who are viewing this thread