Illegal to tape/record a police officer?

olefafl

Established Member
^^ That was the story that inspired me to make this thread. I guess since he's in Maryland he needs the 2 notification rule.

If thats the story I think it is, in that state you can't record the police. Its not a 2 party thing, its the law.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
New York is a one party notification state, but the statute only applies to "wiretapping, mechanical overhearing of a conversation, or intercepting or accessing of an electronic communication".

In New York photographing and video recording in a public place is permissible. New York does have an unlawful surveillance statute but it only applies to a place and time when a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy which is defined as "a place and time when a reasonable person would believe that he or she could fully disrobe in privacy."

So, in answer to the OP, in New York you can record a traffic stop without the LEO's permission or knowledge.

Last edited:

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
If you are in public, you have no expectation of privacy as a citizen or as a police officer. it's perfectly fine to record/tape whatever, as long as you do in such a fashion that it does not interfer with the officers work.

Not in MD.

OP if you're talking about that guy on a bike on youtube recording msp, yes they can technically charge him with tape recording the stop, however its being asinine IMO. He wasn't setting out to record the stop, it just kinda happened. But whatever, yes its illegal in MD without getting both parties consent

kent1

Established Member
Speaking of the Devil..... WHAT A crock of $h!T!!!!

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

If I were this guy, I would challenge this until the end of time. This is the slipperly slope of making it ileagle to record the police(gov't) doing anything. If if the state courts uphold it, keep appealing it as im sure SCOTUS would be more than happy to issue an opinion in the other direction.

If they seized the computers etc as evidence of a crime that is one thing, however, seizing it under the two-party consent law is complete non-sense. I'm sure this is not what the spirit of the law was when it was drafted/passed.

Wow! That is some scary stuff for just filming!!

LS2GTO

Established Member
yes its illegal in MD without getting both parties consent

So is it consent or notification, because as sfadchi said those are two different things. In those states, can you just notify the officer he is being taped and that counts as a 2 party notification, or do you HAVE to get consent/permission to do so from the other party?

It wasn't the filming that got him in trouble. That occurred when he decided to be cute and post it to Youtube...

Ok so I guess that bringing the video to the public that way was a moron thing to do, but what if he was bringing that video up as evidence in court for something? That is not being 'cute' and putting it up on Youtube, but bringing it into a court of law as evidence. So then that would be ok right? Even tho this happened in a state that requires both parties to know.

Last edited:

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
It wasn't the filming that got him in trouble. That occurred when he decided to be cute and post it to Youtube...

But at the same time, why shouldn't he beable to show the tape or post it on youtube?? If this is the way the law was intended, I would think anytime a news or media agency reports on a traffic accident, crime, etc, where the do filming they would have to walk up to each and every officer and gain their consent to broadcast the images/voices they recorded or they would also be in violation of the law. I think we would all agree that would be obsurd. Hence, the slipperly slope that this D.A. is standing on, and working his way to the edge where he will slide down.

This D.A. is either a moron or a genious. On one hand he could be well on his way to making bad case law for everyone in the state, or he could be using this case as a way to challenge the existing statutory law and get it clarified or tossed for the better good.

Last edited:

95t88h

Established Member
So if I get pulled over in CA and I want to record the stop, I must tell the officer right away that I am recording? That being said, what if the officer declines consent? I need to turn off the recording device?

In addition to this statement if the l.e.o says no he doesnt want to be recorded, can you then say that you don't want him to record you, since you don't concent to him recording you will he have to turn his cam off.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
To all of the confused, it is not consent that is necessary, it is knowledge. In two party states the other party must have knowledge of the taping.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
To all of the confused, it is not consent that is necessary, it is knowledge. In two party states the other party must have knowledge of the taping.
It depends on the wording of the statute.

New York Penal Law Section 250.00
intentional overhearing or recording of a telephonic or telegraphic communication by a person other than a sender or receiver thereof, without the CONSENT of either the sender or receiver, by means of any instrument, device or equipment

FordSVTFan

Established Member
It depends on the wording of the statute.

New York Penal Law Section 250.00

True, but we all know how screwed up NY Law is :D

Plus that statute relates specifically to telephone conversations. We aren't discussing telephone conversations.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
True, but we all know how screwed up NY Law is :D.

I play the cards I am delt, besides there is still California and the Napoleonic Code out of Louisiana.

Plus that statute relates specifically to telephone conversations. We aren't discussing telephone conversations.

I know but our surveillance statute states "without ...knowlege or consent.":shrug:

Hmmm, maybe you are right about NY Law:lol:

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I play the cards I am delt, besides there is still California and the Napoleonic Code out of Louisiana.

I know but our surveillance statute states "without ...knowlege or consent.":shrug:

Hmmm, maybe you are right about NY Law:lol:

I agree about Cali and Louisiana too. I prefer a State that has its Rules of Evidence Codified. :D

2k3gt

Established Member
Depends on the state where you live. Some places require only one party consent, some require both.

This doesn't even make sense. How does only one party consent?..either the officer agrees to be recorded (both parties consent) or you're allowed the record without his consent. Those seem to be the only 2 scenarios.

:shrug:

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
This doesn't even make sense. How does only one party consent?..either the officer agrees to be recorded (both parties consent) or you're allowed the record without his consent. Those seem to be the only 2 scenarios.

Read up on involved statutes for different states and you will see it does make sense. I don't make this stuff up to pass the time.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member

One Party Consent = Either party consents

Two party consent = Both parties consents

No Consent = Neither party consents to my recording them and I am not a party to the conversation

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Michigan must be a two-party state. I tape recorded a conversation inside my house, and when I played it for my lawyer, he nearly went through the roof, even though the recording showed the other party was proposing an illegal act (which I refused).

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
the police were trying to get him for illegal wiretapping, which by definition is not what he was doing. He was publically recording.

And all Americans should be able to freely show things like this when an wrong his done.

first, the guy was wrong for speeding and was probably recording it much like guys with cobras do "in Mexico."

second, the cop was WAAAAAAY out of line pulling the gun. the motorcycle was not evading an officer or anything and was unarmed. The cop needs to lose his badge and in fact he could, but it won't happen when the judge, the cops, the chief, the prosecutors, etc. are all scratching each others backs.

There is nothing wrong with the video. And the cops don't have a case. They are using scare tactics. If they had the case, they would have arrested the guy since they went through all the trouble of going to his house to threaten him.

Cops can make recordings of us without our consent. Only right that we can too. Too many abuses of power nowadays to have it any other way.

Users who are viewing this thread