leftover 2012 or 2013

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
So, what would you guys do? If you had a chance to get a damn good deal on a leftover 2012 on the lot, or wait for the 2013's to come out? Im leaning on waiting a little to get the 2013 but there are some good deals on the 2012's out there.

I dont care about how well it handles or anything like that. I just want a base model. It will be my Daily and take to the 1/4 mile track every once in a while. Also there will be some other roll racing in "mexico" if you know what I mean. :)

And yes, this is the official I might be coming back to the dark side soon..................

Last edited:

peteypab2133

Established Member
Why would you drive to mexico to do roll racing? Better hope you do not end up roll racing a 2013 in your 2012 while in mexico!

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Good deal or not, if the money isn't a factor much, I would go with a 2013.

But you know, I might be a little biased since I ordered one lol.

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
2012, and I sell them, with a tune and minor mods, you have 650 HP, and can probably save $10,000.00 or better vs a 2013. Just my thoughts...enjoy whatever you decide on

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
2012, and I sell them, with a tune and minor mods, you have 650 HP, and can probably save $10,000.00 or better vs a 2013. Just my thoughts...enjoy whatever you decide on

This particular point has been discussed a few times on here.

Unless HP is all you care about, saying throw on some mods and a tune and you'll have 650hp isn't the only point of the 2013.

5.8 vs 5.4. Reworked transmission, suspension, physical appearance, cooling, etc. if you were to take a 2012 and match everything the 2013 has I'd be willing to bet you end up paying almost the same amount as a 2013, maybe even a little more because of labor for the work. And then to top it all off, you do all that to a 2012, well sure maybe you obtain the same numbers as the 2013..... But where's your warranty lol.

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
And then to top it all off, you do all that to a 2012, well sure maybe you obtain the same numbers as the 2013..... But where's your warranty lol.

BINGO!!!! Thats what my biggest factor was in deciding the 2013. Im going to goto my dealer tomorrow and look at the 2012's they have but my main goal is to see what kind of deal they can give me on the 2013's. Im NOT going to pay more than MSRP I can tell you that. Plus im going to see what kind of trade in they will give me for the 392 Challenger.

MOB 5.0

Established Member
im in the same boat bro i cant decide. But today i went to the dealer and saw the 2013 and i think its looks way better then the 2012. plus you get the led lights which rock lol

Panzerfaust

Established Member
Get the 2013. My 2011 SVTPP is simply over-geared. The car needs 3.73's like I need a hangover. Not. Modding it and adding 100 hp to an overgeared car will just make things worse. And you'll still get to listen to the "normal" moan from the disc-type differential every time you go around a corner. Joy! I can't wait to get a Torsen....

As another poster said, by the time you get a 2012 sorted out, you'll have 10K plus into the car and your warranty will be gone. Launch control and doing 0-60 in first will make you a stoplight demon. I'm sorry, but hearing the guy next to you on the street in the 2013 GT500 engaging launch control and the motor popping against the rev limiter at the traffic light will simply freak out most challengers.

Also, being able to drop the car into second gear at highway speed and do a roll-on in second will make you tough to beat on the highway as well. With the 2013 model, Ford has finally gotten the Shelby sorted out. I thank the ZL1 Camaro for motivating that.

At the end of the day, it's only money. I grew up restoring an old muscle car because I came from humble roots and had no $$$. I always wondered who ordered my car when it was new and what adventures the car had been through. I have the yellowed and battle-scarred shift knob from my 1970 442 on my 2011 GT500 right now. It's a connection to the past.

Now that I've busted my hump for 20+ years and have the cash, I feel obligated to get these super hot cars out of the factory and onto the street. Someday, 40+ years from now when I'm gone, some young guy will be restoring my Shelby and wondering about who drove it off the showroom floor all those years ago. I literally drove mine off the showroom floor, with my wife beside me, urging me to do a burnout in the showroom....Ah, now there's a good woman!!

If we don't buy these cars today, young Americans will be stuck restoring Camrys. Somehow, that just seems wrong......

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Get the 2013. My 2011 SVTPP is simply over-geared. The car needs 3.73's like I need a hangover. Not. Modding it and adding 100 hp to an overgeared car will just make things worse. And you'll still get to listen to the "normal" moan from the disc-type differential every time you go around a corner. Joy! I can't wait to get a Torsen....

As another poster said, by the time you get a 2012 sorted out, you'll have 10K plus into the car and your warranty will be gone. Launch control and doing 0-60 in first will make you a stoplight demon. I'm sorry, but hearing the guy next to you on the street in the 2013 GT500 engaging launch control and the motor popping against the rev limiter at the traffic light will simply freak out most challengers.

Also, being able to drop the car into second gear at highway speed and do a roll-on in second will make you tough to beat on the highway as well. With the 2013 model, Ford has finally gotten the Shelby sorted out. I thank the ZL1 Camaro for motivating that.

At the end of the day, it's only money. I grew up restoring an old muscle car because I came from humble roots and had no $$$. I always wondered who ordered my car when it was new and what adventures the car had been through. I have the yellowed and battle-scarred shift knob from my 1970 442 on my 2011 GT500 right now. It's a connection to the past.

Now that I've busted my hump for 20+ years and have the cash, I feel an obligated to get these super hot cars out of the factory and onto the street. Someday, 40+ years from now when I'm gone, some young guy will be restoring my Shelby and wondering about who drove it off the showroom floor all those years ago. I literally drove mine off the showroom floor, with my wife beside me, urging me to do a burnout in the showroom....Ah, now there's a good woman!!

If we don't buy these cars today, young Americans will be stuck restoring Camrys. Somehow, that just seems wrong......

very well said....:beer:

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
OK, just got back from one dealer............time to goto another one that can actually help me. This dealer said they have 2 allocated and they cannot get anymore in after that even if I wanted to order one. I was like..........uhhhh whatever. Then I asked the "market adjustment" question. He said they will not put a market adjustment on them. "They will just add around 2600 bucks to the MSRP" (Umm thats a market adjustment) They will not sell them for less than MSRP period.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I guess it depends on what you want to get. The 12's are still great cars and good deals can be had. For a 13 you are going to have to search a bit or travel for a good deal. just the way it will be for a while.

As for the mod thing, if you get it done right, or even have a svt dealer do them, you can still have a warranty. The work done on my car is STILL with my warranty. It just depends on the relationship you have with the dealer. My 08 Mustang GT was modded up. Saleen S/C Fr3 Suspension, LCA' UCA's and Side exhaust...All warranty. Now gratnted I still had some warranty left, but I was told that the warranty died with me when I traded in.

As I said, depends on your relationship with your dealer. If was me ? Hmm not sure really. I love deals, and if I could find a good good good deal on a 12, I would probably pull the trigger.

ShelbyKid

It sounds stock..
Established Member
I love deals, and if I could find a good good good deal on a 12, I would probably pull the trigger.

that's the boat i'm in, or will be in come summer when i start shopping around.

If I can save over $10k by going with a 12', I may have to do that. Once the 13's start hitting the lots is when we'll see the prices start to drop big time.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
This particular point has been discussed a few times on here.

Unless HP is all you care about, saying throw on some mods and a tune and you'll have 650hp isn't the only point of the 2013.

5.8 vs 5.4. Reworked transmission, suspension, physical appearance, cooling, etc. if you were to take a 2012 and match everything the 2013 has I'd be willing to bet you end up paying almost the same amount as a 2013, maybe even a little more because of labor for the work. And then to top it all off, you do all that to a 2012, well sure maybe you obtain the same numbers as the 2013..... But where's your warranty lol.

This is a great point. The 2013 gives us everything we've ever wanted in a Mustang and with a full warranty. The car will be faster on a road course than a Ford GT and probably accelerate about the same through the 1/4. It has launch control so it will make this thing a breeze to get off the line, even for those who aren't talented drivers. Just an all-around well sorted out car to a level that we've never seen before.

AngeloViewDrive

Sports Car Enthusiast
Established Member
Go with the 2013. If you get the 2012, I think after a few months when the 2013s hit the streets you 'll regret that you didn't get the 2013. If money is a big issue, wait for 9 months and you'll probably be able to find a 2013 at a decent price.

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member

Now that I've busted my hump for 20+ years and have the cash, I feel obligated to get these super hot cars out of the factory and onto the street. Someday, 40+ years from now when I'm gone, some young guy will be restoring my Shelby and wondering about who drove it off the showroom floor all those years ago. I literally drove mine off the showroom floor, with my wife beside me, urging me to do a burnout in the showroom....Ah, now there's a good woman!!

Good post, and I agree, but to play devil's advocate:

If you're going to go for 800ish crank horsepower (which a fair number of people do), you're probably going to have to do the same mods to each car, I 'm not sure you're going to get there with bolt ons and a lower on the 5.8.

Whether the 5.8 is equal to the 5.4 at those power levels in terms of longevity remains to be seen.

If you're going to roll around on fat drag radials on the street and/or slicks at the strip, the 3.31s and the launch control probably aren't going to be doing you any favors.

With the 2500 dollar rebate you're talking around 43k for a base 12 or 46.5k for an SVTPP 12. In terms of what you're losing out to a base 13 at 55k, or a PP/TP 13 at 61,500, I'd say that a 12 at those prices is still a very solid choice.

Can't really go wrong either way, IMO. That said, I may very well be trading up, but I'm probably gonna wait around until the 14s are out and see what kinda deal I can wrangle.

Users who are viewing this thread