Lowering my Lightning

Sperm Rocket

Established Member
I bought my Lightning this year and the previous owner said it had a 2/3 drop. At the time I didn't know much, and believed him.
After looking at pics of Lightnings with actual 2/3 drops, they look alot lower than my truck.
I can't tell if the rear shackles are stock or aftermarket, everything has undercoating.

Here's a pic of my truck. The front suspension is extremely stiff, I'm wondering if he had the springs cut. The rear is very soft and squats easy. The rear looks lower in the pic for some reason. The tires are 325/30/22.

I figured it'd sit a little lower... I've replaced a ball joint already, and the steering rack is rattling and getting beat up. 2 alignments in less than a year =(

75864_1612514083112_1544089264_1481428_7235070_n.jpg

I can get pics of the springs and shackles if need be.

jwiles6186

I Hate Speed Bumps!
Established Member
The pictures you've seen of lightnings with a 2/3 drop were they sporting the stock wheels? Cause those 22" wheels will make it sit up a bit higher than it would with the stock 18". Also you can tell very easily if the shackles are drop shackles, climb under the truck and if the shackle has two sets of mounting locations for the the end of the leaf then its a drop shackle.

Rednick99

That Guy!
Established Member
^^^ +1

I bought my Lightning with a set of 22's and traded some guy for a set of stock wheels. That was a lowering kit in itself.

Dusten

Established Member
I can't see your pictures, but in my sig is my truck with a 2/3 or 2/4 drop. If you want, measure the trucks height from the top of wheel arch on the fender to the middle of the wheel, that will eliminate wheel and tire height, you can post that and compare others.

As said, stock shackles v drop shackles are easy, drop shackles have several sets of holes. As for your front springs, post pictures. or count the loops and post to compare.

Sperm Rocket

Established Member
Yea the guy sold the stock wheels so these are what I'm stuck with. Id love a set of stock wheels though.

I checked the rear shackle and there's 1 mounting hole so I'm assuming the front springs must be cut. ill try to get pics up later when it stops snowing :-(

So, I have no idea how the front of my truck will sit with a 2" drop. Anyone with 22" rims have any rubbing issues?

Ford racing sells a 1" drop f/r but I'm not sure if that will drop it enough. I want this thing as low as possible without rubbing the fender when I turn. Not worried about the rear.

Dusten

Established Member
the rear can be dropped with springs or shackles.
the front can be dropped with springs or spindles.

As far as amount of drop, the wheel size in theory shouldnt matter because you can get tires that match the overall size of the tires on the truck. Many guys are running 4/6" kits, but i believe you have to c-notch the frame. I wouldnt go beyond a 3-5 because they become tough to drive(clearance)

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
looks to be a 2/3 drop......the shackles should have more than one mounting hole on the top where the leafs mount to if they are drop shackles.....if they are cut stock springs they prolly still have the svt sticker on them........so you want to go lower than in the picture? figure out what parts you already have and we can get you lower after that....

Users who are viewing this thread