New Cobra Mod

WIECH

Established Member
hey hssss03 nice job on that mod.:rockon:

i want to so that to my cobra too but i dont think im going with the touch screen i was looking at the alpine iva-d900 its a motorized screen that pops out that would replace the stock radio and cd player. why did u choose the touch screen over a motorized screen was it becuse then u woulnt need a keyboard/mouse to control windows i was just going to use a wireless mouse and maybe run linux:rockon:

anywho nice job and nice setup :beer:

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
The touchscreen rocks. I probably would not have done this project without it. The reason why I didn't go with a indash screen is because I didn't want to be looking down at the gauges or to change songs. Also you have to worry about the wiring harness if you swap the stock head unit. For me the screen is in the perfect spot so I can keep my eyes on the road as well as read my gauges.

Also I don't think the indash models are VGA screens (a must).

I thought about using Linux, but it's not very user friendly when it comes to media.

Last edited:

phreakness

Established Member
The wiring harnes is too easy now a days for swaping source to source (like an alpine from a stock radio) 40$ in harnesses and your done no more wireing. now the custom type jobs that Hssss03 is doing is a totally different animal. I'm looking at some indash motorized screens also

numbaonestunna

Established Member
???

Originally posted by hssss03
The touchscreen rocks. I probably would not have done this project without it. The reason why I didn't go with a indash screen is because I didn't want to be looking down at the gauges or to change songs. Also you have to worry about the wiring harness if you swap the stock head unit. For me the screen is in the perfect spot so I can keep my eyes on the road as well as read my gauges.

Also I don't think the indash models are VGA screens (a must).

I thought about using Linux, but it's not very user friendly when it comes to media.

xmms and gmplayer. What do you mean not user friendly? =)

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
Re: ???

Originally posted by numbaonestunna
xmms and gmplayer. What do you mean not user friendly? =)

Compared to windows? ;-) , not a chance, besides Autotap is made for Windows. :rockon: ;-)

phreakness

Established Member
Not to be a thread jacker but here are a few pics of my "Carputer" install

This is what it looks like with the grills on when you look into the window
carputer%20grill.jpg

upclose without the grill (plz excuse the vinyl pulling away,) Theres an 48Ch Digital I/O board that goes there but its in my development computer.
carputer.jpg

thats the indash DVD / CDRW and the alpine CVA-1005
dash%20DVD.jpg

Another one
carputer%20full.jpg

The whole system works off of bluetooth.. the wireless modem, the GPS, the keyboard mouse (coming soon) file transfers and the supension system. Its a PIII 1.3 Ghz with 512MB ram and 60GB HD. ATI vid card and Opus Power supply. Tri-booting Windows 2003 advanced server (just to see if it would work) and WinXP embedded / Winxp Sp1

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
Freakness, I changed cell phones from this summer. Email me and lets set up a time to get together.

coleman

Established Member
how does one get internet access?
via phone or what?
and what's the cost to do that?
i'd like to be able to look things up while i'm in my car...

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
You could use a cellphone to connect to the internet. I use a wireless lan, but it only works in my garage or driveway. I just use it to transfer files from my main computer.

coleman

Established Member
got it ... i was hoping there was some newer technology available.
wireless LAN from near the house would certainly help.

coleman

Established Member
oh, and i'm actually considering NOT having a touch screen.
i'm afraid that the touch screen would deteriorate over time like all the touch screens we have around here at work.

just go for a remote/wireless control ... maybe PDA as a remote? i think that was mentioned. i don't see how to get away from a keyboard/mouse...

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
You could rig up a USB Ten Key pad and use that as a remote. I stand by my touchscreen. I wasn't going to do it at first, but after reconsidering it I decided it was a must have and now that I have it installed I know I made the right choice.

If you try and go cheap on a screen you'll get what you pay for. Search here before you buy one. www.mp3car.com They saved me a lot of time and money by doing it right the first time.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I use my Treo 600 and PDAnet to get online from anywhere! And it uses free data minutes not phone minutes.

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
Install a Wi-Fi card and just connect on all the open wireless routers that don't run a firewall.

Originally posted by hssss03
You could use a cellphone to connect to the internet. I use a wireless lan, but it only works in my garage or driveway. I just use it to transfer files from my main computer.

Users who are viewing this thread