R888 vs. RA1

medrick

Established Member
R888 vs. RA1 vs. R1R

If price didn't matter which would be better for a limited driven street car?

Discuss...

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
They are both road course tires therefore have stiff sidewalls. I have R888's and can go 80mph in the rain, by looking at the RA1's good luck! I'll be switching to a softer sidewall Nitto NT-05r as the car barely sees the light of day, let alone rain anymore.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Then R888's if you must have a Road racing tire.. Why do you need a tire like this?? Unless you have a ton of hp it's kinda pointless.

medrick

Established Member
i dont need them but i like the look of a fat tire out back and sometime this year my mach will make the power to need them anyways so might as well do it now instead of buying tires twice. my thoughts anyways.

Teej281

Established Member
They are both road course tires therefore have stiff sidewalls. I have R888's and can go 80mph in the rain, by looking at the RA1's good luck! I'll be switching to a softer sidewall Nitto NT-05r as the car barely sees the light of day, let alone rain anymore.

Why would you say that? The RA1's actually have a tread pattern and circumferential grooves to allow water to escape from the contact patch. The R888's have very little tread pattern and to me would be more dangerous in the rain. I have RA1's and my friend has R888's. I'd feel much more comfortable with the RA1's over the R888's.

And the R888 is more competition oriented than the RA1's I think. The R888's are a more slick tread design. I'm pretty sure that they are made with the same tread compound because they have identical treadwear ratings. Just different contact patches.

DocB

Established Member
In light of your future power goals, the look you want for your car, and how and where you drive your car, here is something you may want to consider:

Run R888s in the rear (you will not be disappointed!).

Run RA1s on the front.

I have not seen this combo before, but it makes alot of common sense in your situation. Reread the previous posts, go to the Toyo website and look at the tread patterns, and see if this makes sense to you.

OR R888s in the rear and a GOOD street tire on the front. (Prudent choice).

I can tell you one thing, with the first combo no one will pass you in a turn on the streets! And, the rears will hook good enough to get you a ticket before the end of the on ramp (in the rain).

Disclaimer: You will not get 30,000 miles out of combo #1, but you will have a heck of a good time!

Also: Remember to take the tires (R Compound) off the car before it freezes, deflate to 15 psi, and store them in a heated area.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Why would you say that? The RA1's actually have a tread pattern and circumferential grooves to allow water to escape from the contact patch. The R888's have very little tread pattern and to me would be more dangerous in the rain. I have RA1's and my friend has R888's. I'd feel much more comfortable with the RA1's over the R888's.

And the R888 is more competition oriented than the RA1's I think. The R888's are a more slick tread design. I'm pretty sure that they are made with the same tread compound because they have identical treadwear ratings. Just different contact patches.

I would say that based on the experience on my own Cobra by actually being able to sustain 80 mph in the rain with R888's.
Additionally I have friends that roadrace and the typically roadracer uses SHAVED (read less tread than when their manufactured) R888's as their WET weather tires. R888's replaced the RA1's. Any more reasons needed on why I would "say that?" :nonono:

Last edited:

medrick

Established Member
pulled the trigger!

335R888.jpg

255R1R.jpg

DocB

Established Member
Smart move. Let us know how that combo works out for you.

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
I got the R888 in all 4 corners couldn't be happier... Can drive in the rain no problem .. Of course I don't push the car but the tire is pretty stable in the wet

Users who are viewing this thread