Rear differential cooler

Andy M

Established Member
A few of us (mostly those of us who track our R's) have the Kenny Brown diff cooler installed. It is kinda pricey! Around $2000.00 installed.

Some folks have also built their own by ordering the parts and putting together a system from scratch. You can save a ton of money by doing this. I think maybe Brian did this??

Mine is mounted inside the trunk of the car. Although a better location is to mount it under the car behind the fuel cell/gas tank. More air flow there.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by BillsSnake
Just how necessary is the cooler?

If you're going to be "tracking"? ABSOLUTELY necessary!!

I'm going to be putting my diff cooler in starting the beginning of February. Brian has posted some pictures on the SCMC board and they will be a huge help to me. (Thanks Brian:thumbsup: ) I think I spent about $350.00 in parts but have to buy the fittings and lines yet.

:beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Cobra-R

Established Member
Guys,
When I get over to dads hanger (my 01 is stored there) I will shoot some pics of how we mounted the cooler on that car. I mounted it outside the car behind the fuel tank and it looks real good. It might take me a week or two to get over there (35 miles) but i will get it for ya.

Brian

Terry Moenich

Established Member
What do you guys think about this idea. Instead of installing the cooler in the rear of the car like many have, how about installing a second engine cooler in front, above the original one, pump the fluid to the front of the car and back, no fan needed or anything. I have a Tilton pump that they swear can pull room temp 90 weight fluid straight up 12 feet without a problem. I explained what I wanted to do and they said the pump could handle that without a problem.

What do you guys think?

Hey Brian, did you do this without taking the diff out of the vehicle?

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by BillsSnake
Just how necessary is the cooler?
Bill,

The diff in our cars gets VERY VERY hot under track conditions... not sure exactly what the temps are as I have not yet installed a temp gauge (next on my list) but I know it gets damned hot. Just ask Joe Johnson. He ran a few track events without one when he first bought his R and melted the diff!:( :burn:

If you plan to open track the car and run it hard a few times a year, I would not do it without a diff cooler installed.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Terry Moenich
What do you guys think about this idea. Instead of installing the cooler in the rear of the car like many have, how about installing a second engine cooler in front, above the original one, pump the fluid to the front of the car and back, no fan needed or anything. I have a Tilton pump that they swear can pull room temp 90 weight fluid straight up 12 feet without a problem. I explained what I wanted to do and they said the pump could handle that without a problem.

What do you guys think?

Hey Brian, did you do this without taking the diff out of the vehicle?

Terry,
I considered doing what you suggested also to my 95 and 01. My concern was with putting more coolers up front that I may be choking off air to the radiator. When I get the pics from my 01 install, I think alot of you guys are gona like that setup. It is totally outside the car, looks good, and doesn't need a fan.

Yes, I left the driveshaft and half shafts connected but otherwise unbolted the diff. You could then drop it down enough to get the cover off and do the drilling off the car. I did do the one suction line hole in the housing it's self with the diff in the car, but with the cover off it was no big deal. Drilled the hole and tapped it with 3/8" NPT.

Andy,
My diff runs in the 210-230 degree range at Road America with the cooler running on a 65-70 degree day. SVT told me they get concerned when the diff gets to 260 or above. So as you can see, with the cooler on there us still a little margin, but if the ambiant temp got above 90 I would sure be keeping my eye on the guage. At Mid-America in May, the diff wouldn't even get to 170 degrees with outside temps in the 80's, so the type of track makes a difference also.
I burned a diff up at Hallet this year in my 01 from not having a cooler, so the need is deffiantely there.

Brian

Just so you know. I have my 00 wired up with two temperature senders. One type is just a open/closed type that closes at around 180 degrees and opens at 160. That way if I forget to turn the manual switch on, the cooler will come on by it's self if need be. The other sender is for the temp guage.

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Where can I get the on off sensor Brian is refering too. Those are the exact temps I want to use.

I can't remember where I got it for sure, I want to say Jegs or racesearch.com or a place like that.

Brian

Cobra-R

Established Member
Ok, Here a the pics I promised.

01diffcooler5.jpg

01diffcooler4.jpg

01diffcooler3.lpg

01diffcooler1.jpg

Andy M

Established Member

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
Man, I feel like such an idiot for buying the Kenny Brown cooler... boy, did I get screwed on that one!!!:bash: :( I paid $1700.00 plus install!!:eek:

The price of being a pioneer, I guess. :smmon: Oh well, we can all be idiots together, Andy. :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Andy M
Man, I feel like such an idiot for buying the Kenny Brown cooler... boy, did I get screwed on that one!!!:bash: :( I paid $1700.00 plus install!!:eek:

Andy don't feel bad. Think of how much a new rear end costs! It's good insurance!

But I do hear ya! :cryying: Shelling out cash hurts. I'm doing lots of it getting ready for tracking next year :beer:

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Hey Brian, When you killed the rear end in your 01, did you upgrade it with the better axlews and a torsen. I sold my 95 R so my 00R will be my Track car I jacked it up today to start planning the cooler and am trying to talk myself into the upgrade of the torsen and better axles like Joe Johnson did.

Andy M

Established Member
Hey Brian, When you killed the rear end in your 01, did you upgrade it with the better axlews and a torsen. I sold my 95 R so my 00R will be my Track car I jacked it up today to start planning the cooler and am trying to talk myself into the upgrade of the torsen and better axles like Joe Johnson did.
Terry,

If/when my diff starts to give me problems, I plan on doing the Torsen T2R upgrade with the new halfshafts also. Joe has been having great results with this combo so far.

A cooler is a MUST if you plan on doing open track though!

Users who are viewing this thread