Rear differential cooler

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
Brian:

Are you saying you do or do not have a fan on this particular set-up in the photo?

:shrug:

Nope, I totally believe there will be enough air circulation for cooling. (cooler is larger than the KB also)

Last edited:

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
How much extra fluid did you put in your system? Did you install any kind of anti drain back?

I could see that there might be too much fluid in it when you aren't running the pump.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Dean95CobraR
How much extra fluid did you put in your system? Did you install any kind of anti drain back?

I could see that there might be too much fluid in it when you aren't running the pump.

Dean,
On the 95 and 00, yes there is a check valve. On the 01, the cooler is aprox the same height as the differential, so we brought the lines up beside the top of the fuel tank, which is higher than the differential. So the only oil that will drain back is what is in about a foot of the hose. A check valve would be simple to screw in the line and I would do that with a solid axle car since the diff moves up and down.
The cooler added just over 2 quarts to the system, if I remember right.

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Hey Brian, I am in the process of doing my diff cooler. I found the parts you refered to for the fan switch and relay.

I am thinking about using the fill hole for the oil return. Your thoughts? good idea or bad? Just try to eliminatedrilling another hole.

I have fabricated bracket which mounts in all factory holes on the rear reinforcement. This bracket (it is sort of big) will hold the cooler ( same as in the front of the 95 and 00R's for the engine cooler) as well as the pump. The whole thing will be able to be assembled on a bench, including the discharge hose to cooler.

Once installed, connect one electrical plug, the pickup hose to pump and return line to cooler and it's in. I have built it in such a fashion that if it don't cool properly I can easily add 3 4" Spal fans.

I plan to test it in April to prepare for September!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Terry Moenich
The whole thing will be able to be assembled on a bench, including the discharge hose to cooler.

Once installed, connect one electrical plug, the pickup hose to pump and return line to cooler and it's in. I have built it in such a fashion that if it don't cool properly I can easily add 3 4" Spal fans.

I plan to test it in April to prepare for September!

Terry:

If you have a camera we would love some photos? The more photos we see the more ideas we can steal :lol:

:beer:

Terry Moenich

Established Member
I have a camera, how do you attach the photo to a thread here.

Do you think using the fill hole will work good for the return line?

Cobra-R

Established Member

Do you think using the fill hole will work good for the return line?

Terry,
Using the fill hole will work fine. I did that on my 01. The only reason it wasn't done on my 00R was I added two senders to the housing and one was put in that hole.

Lets see pics. :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Terry:

When you reply, before you hit the "submit reply" button, right above that is a browse button; hit that and that will browse your computer to find your photo then double click on your photo and it will automatically be attached to the reply.

If you have any more questions regarding that, just holler!!!

Bruce

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I'm also going to use the fill hole for the return....Terry, did you use the same size oil cooler as the one up front? I've checked into a few different sizes/configurations as well....please post pics when you have a chance, THANKS! :thumbsup:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Brian, I was looking at the pump and cooler from Racer parts wholesale, and was just wondering what size cooler/ number of rows is everybody using? Thanks.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by DAVESVT2000
Brian, I was looking at the pump and cooler from Racer parts wholesale, and was just wondering what size cooler/ number of rows is everybody using? Thanks.

I would suggest the 11"x11". :beer:

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
me, being mr overkill, has gone with a 15x6. doing gears and stuff here at the end of the month, i'll try to add to the "diff cooler gallery" as it gets done..

{edit}speak of the devil, the UPS guy pulled up not long after i posted this.....here's the cooler. only thing that i have a tad of concern over is the -12 fittings being reduced to -8. my line of thought tho, is that it'll move a bit more oil, more surface area on the cooler, and less taxing on the pump. of course, that's the redneck line of thought there......feel free to chime in...

cooler.jpg

edit: new pic link

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by ragansrcobra99
me, being mr overkill, has gone with a 15x6. doing gears and stuff here at the end of the month, i'll try to add to the "diff cooler gallery" as it gets done..

It's not the size that matters, Steve. :lol: Jeez, I have said it so many times I am beginning to believe it. :shrug: :shrug:

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
well brian, see, i'm thinking due to the location, size actually might in this case. but you already know my line of thought on that. guess i shouldn't tell you i'm putting a tru-trac in after all.....;) LOL

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by ragansrcobra99
well brian, see, i'm thinking due to the location, size actually might in this case. but you already know my line of thought on that. guess i shouldn't tell you i'm putting a tru-trac in after all.....;) LOL

Are you going to be running fan assist on this cooler?

I would love to see photos as I'm sure many others would also.

Bruce

kevin

Originally posted by Cobra-R
It's not the size that matters, Steve. :lol: Jeez, I have said it so many times I am beginning to believe it. :shrug: :shrug:

better be carfull. when war gets bigger, there'll be two hillbillys to run from:D

kevin

Originally posted by ac427cobra
Are you going to be running fan assist on this cooler?

I would love to see photos as I'm sure many others would also.

Bruce

brian is the only fan. does he assit? :lol: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread