What the H33L is a WRX STI?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by TROY
:beer: Try a race with a Audi RS6 450hp AWD. I did. Quick car.:thumbsup:

When did you race an RS6? My buddy is on the waiting list for one. His dealer said there are none for sale in the US yet. He said most likely next month.

R*Rocket

Established Member
STi is an enthusiast dream...

Yep..the STi is quite the car. 12.7" disc up front, 12.4" in the back with Brembos....outbrakes a Porsche GT2 from 60mph! 0-60 4,8 seconds, and the 1/4 in 13.4 And that's only pushing out 14.5 PSI. The lunatic WRX owners are like lunatic Cobra owners, and will boost the daylights out of that little car!! They make 300HP/300TQ...but once they start monkeying around with the boost and mods..expect 350hp++ And those flat fours are near bullet-proof. Transmission? The new one is a tough 6 speed..and get this..you can adjust the center differential via a knob in the car to distribute the power differently between the front and rear wheels. The intercooler has a water sprayer that is controlled via a cockpit switch. This things is quite the little car. On a street race where the WRX can drop the clutch at ANY RPM and go....the Cobra might be in trouble. Impressive at any rate. Why can't Ford make a car like this? Why can't they make a version of the Focus WRC car? Dang....

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: STi is an enthusiast dream...

Originally posted by R*Rocket
.........On a street race where the WRX can drop the clutch at ANY RPM and go....the Cobra might be in trouble.......
Nothing a set of drag radials can't take care of.:burnout:

BBriBro

Established Member
Re: STi is an enthusiast dream...

Originally posted by R*Rocket
Why can't Ford make a car like this? Why can't they make a version of the Focus WRC car? Dang....
I wonder if they will? Certainly the manufacturers see that the WRX was so popular, the STI will be, and the Mitsu Evo is, Duh, there is a market for that type of car, even though for decades they didn't think the Americans liked them.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
When did you race an RS6? My buddy is on the waiting list for one. His dealer said there are none for sale in the US yet. He said most likely next month.

:uh oh: :read:

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Re: Re: STi is an enthusiast dream...

Originally posted by BBriBro
I wonder if they will? Certainly the manufacturers see that the WRX was so popular, the STI will be, and the Mitsu Evo is, Duh, there is a market for that type of car, even though for decades they didn't think the Americans liked them.

Ford has the RS Focus and they reason 1 limit production and all are sold. Price for 31,000 I think a Cobras a better deal. 2 excuse of having to revalve the suspension for N.American roads.3 cut into SVT Focus sales. I think its pure bunk but what do enthusiest know over stupid bean counters.:bash:

Triton

Established Member
Wow!! Just got the lastest>>>Autoweek<<< and those two 4 wheel drive cars are in there,, WRX-sti,, and the Mitsubishi Lancer evoultion,, I tell ya if i didn't need to haul stuff and just plain love Ford V-8's that WRX would do it for me!!! although after having only owned Fords my whole life i'd prolly have to move, or something:rolleyes: but atleast you could drive it year round,,:coolman: they say, amoung other things that the Mitu is better on pavement, and through a slalom,, where the Suburu is quicker, and rides better, and also has a 6speed, allthough they are both very close ratio's and geared fairly low,, No info on top speed:mj:

BBriBro

Established Member
From all the tests I have read, the Mitsu Evo has one of the highest slalom speeds of ANY car EVER tested, it ranks up there with the exotics, pretty cool. And wonderful brakes too !

mhamilton

Established Member
Uh..... lets not get ahead of ourselves......

I had a 2002 WRX.... was on the list for a 2004 STI and dropped off to get a Lightning.

Im very happy..... the WRX and the STI... well.... they sure do run when they get going but TURBO LAG!!!!!!

Now..... i know all of ricers will clutch drop those puppies at 5, 6, and even 7 grand.... but i like my clutch and driveline.

When it comes to mods... yeah... you can put as much boost as you want through those babies!!!! And get a rod through the quarter pannel. A little four cylinder is just not as durable as a short block V8. Lightning is only making 70ish HP/L where the WRX is making 113.5 HP/L stock..... That is tough on any engine.
If you want to make a WRX as fast as a cobra in a straight line... you will end up spending the same amount it took to buy a cobra (that is if you want your WRX to last, becuase in that case you need new tranny upgrades... not just boost). SO SERIOUSLY PEOPLE. WRX is a great car... but it is a World Rally Car. Cobra is a good track car and a drag racer. Choose what you want.... dont try to make a WRX a 1/4mi Terror or you will end up in the shop.... or out of cash!

Like wise.... if you want a bad A$$ 4 wheel drive sedan with some pep and serious handling.... bye the WRX, not the cobra.

But me..... I love the sound of tires ripping up the pavement and a bed full of stuff!!!!

Ill stick with my L and beat the pants off of stock (and mild modded) WRX's

- Mark

Bullitt_#1346

Established Member
Re: Re: Tranny

Originally posted by 03Sssnake
Never under estimate the willingness of your average punk to go into debt ;-) As for the tranny, there not as bad as they were when the new wrx's first came out...

Almost every '03 Cobra I have seen so far was being driven by some high school punk. It is amazing to me what people's parents will buy them. I would think those STi's will be the same way.

mhamilton

Established Member
Now define HS Punk....

Im a HS Senior. I have an athletic and academic scholarship to a very good division one school. Tulane University actually. I am not a HS PUNK!

I am paying for my own college education... and when I knew this, my parents bought me a SVT Lightning.

I think you need to realize that not all high schoolers are "Punks"!

- Mark

Scott Kim

Established Member
Originally posted by mhamilton
Now define HS Punk....

Im a HS Senior. I have an athletic and academic scholarship to a very good division one school. Tulane University actually. I am not a HS PUNK!

I am paying for my own college education... and when I knew this, my parents bought me a SVT Lightning.

I think you need to realize that not all high schoolers are "Punks"!

- Mark

Mark,

In a couple months you won't need to get so pissed off at the "H.S. Punk" comment anymore. :thumbsup:

don't be so sensitive, you'll soon see the statistical truth to why this is such a common sentiment

bet by the end of the calendar year you're on here talking about HS punks ;-)

raptorman02

Established Member
I was a HS Punk, course I was sporting an 84 Camry not a Cobra but I was a punk damnit, or maybe a dork but I was definetly something. Oh yea and no it was not a J-spec Camry but I had really big loud annoying speakers if that counts for anything!!!

mhamilton

Established Member
Point well taken..... I was just trying to rile up a little heat!!! LOL!

And its actually a few days.... I graduate on the 25 of May!

- Mark

kingcobra3

Established Member
Originally posted by Triton54
Wow!! Just got the lastest>>>Autoweek<<< and those two 4 wheel drive cars are in there,, WRX-sti,, and the Mitsubishi Lancer evoultion,, I tell ya if i didn't need to haul stuff and just plain love Ford V-8's that WRX would do it for me!!! although after having only owned Fords my whole life i'd prolly have to move, or something:rolleyes: but atleast you could drive it year round,,:coolman: they say, amoung other things that the Mitu is better on pavement, and through a slalom,, where the Suburu is quicker, and rides better, and also has a 6speed, allthough they are both very close ratio's and geared fairly low,, No info on top speed:mj:

though autoweek claims that the STI is "quicker" and "rides better" than the EVO, then why does the EVO always wins the world rally champion eversince the EVO 1??? clearly, Sti still hasn't had a taste of victory while the EVO's are getting bored of always winning...:lol1:

mhamilton

Established Member
As a rally watcher and enthus......

#1 Evo does not and has not always won

Can someone say Peter Solsburg (spelling i do not know)
He was in the Prodrive WRX

And the EVO used to always win because they had Tommy Mackiden in his prime......

The cars are all very very equal.... its alot more driving than car

And Recently Peugoet (spelling) as been winning.... but we will pretend that didnt happen since they are french.

- Mark

mhamilton

Established Member
Oh yeah, Richard Burns also won in a WRX Subaru Prodrive

And almost all the SCCA (sports car club of America) rally events are won by people in WRX mod classes, even when there are real EVO's in the field

98gt281

Established Member
I ran in to one to on I10 the other day, it was silver, and had WRX on the left rear, and STI on the right side in red, it was FAST, my 98 GT can usually pull away from them on rolls but not this one he slowley walked on me, it was GAY, it appeared to be VERY STOCK. But everybody says they are not even out yet?

Users who are viewing this thread