Will the 8100 rpm rev limit ever be over-ruled?

specizripn

Established Member
I am not completely sure how the 8100 rpm rev limit is implemented by the copperhead system and can't find anything useful on the internet. Does someone more knowledgeable on the ecu think an exploit will be found to increase the rev limit or is it hard-coded in, and an aftermarket ecu would be the only way to rev the motor higher? If so, is there a stand-alone ecu on the market that can handle the VCT or a possibility of one being created or is the motor permanently barred from revving any higher? I am looking into building a kit car in a few years and am highly considering a coyote power plant and would love to rev the hell out of it, after some good strong lightweight rods, upgraded valves and head work of course. Thanks

Edit: The Motec standalone ecu is able to handle the VCT if tuned by someone very skilled with a lot of know-how, and is able to handle a lot more than the stock ecu, but is very pricy. I guess since I wont need to purchase all of the motor stuff for a few years and the engine is still very new I will get my other research done and just watch and see what options become available as people figure the motor out more and more. Thanks guys

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
i think that the crank trigger with higher resolution will allow you higher rpm but not sure how much before the ecu cant keep up with all the data.

Shaun@AED

You can rev over 8K with tune changes but it's not advisable. TiVCT reverts back to 'base' (zero advance, zero retard) between gears once you clip 8000RPM.
We've seen 4mph increase in the 1/4 mile from setting the rev limiters to 7950 vs allowing the engine to rev past 8K. Testing was done on Adam @ Revolutions highly modified Coyote that makes great power all the way past 8K.

specizripn

Established Member
You can rev over 8K with tune changes but it's not advisable. TiVCT reverts back to 'base' (zero advance, zero retard) between gears once you clip 8000RPM.
We've seen 4mph increase in the 1/4 mile from setting the rev limiters to 7950 vs allowing the engine to rev past 8K. Testing was done on Adam @ Revolutions highly modified Coyote that makes great power all the way past 8K.

Yeah that doesn't sound like fun lol. I've decided I'll probably go with a motec or whatever standalone is the best bang for the buck when I am ready to buy/build my motor. Hopefully a more affordable standalone will incorporate VCT sometime soon so I don't have to fork out 4 grand for a motec

stang8psi

Established Member
the frpp High rev pulse ring allows the motor to spin to 8200 rpm.. this is needed to safely spin the motor.. It has a different spacing and tooth count on the ring that the ecu reads to let the computer accurately read the timing and rpms of the crank

darreng505

Established Member
My question to the OP is why is your goal to "rev the hell out of it"?
If you want power or torque there are plenty of options within the designed
RPMs for the motor. I would follow the advice here and keep it under 8k.

jbs$

Established Member
Be sure to wrap a blast blanket around the motor for the protection of the innocent bystanders. It may turn these RPM, but it will not have a long happy life.

specizripn

Established Member
My question to the OP is why is your goal to "rev the hell out of it"?
If you want power or torque there are plenty of options within the designed
RPMs for the motor. I would follow the advice here and keep it under 8k.

Idk It would kind of be nice to show the imports that an American V8 can rev to the moon. I like to be different, and I figure if its my money than no one has to complain when I dump loads of it into something many call silly or stupid. If it makes me happy that is all that matters, and usually what makes me happy isn't very practical... lol

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Idk It would kind of be nice to show the imports that an American V8 can rev to the moon. I like to be different, and I figure if its my money than no one has to complain when I dump loads of it into something many call silly or stupid. If it makes me happy that is all that matters, and usually what makes me happy isn't very practical... lol

Everyone likes to be different. Not worth it to spend all the money on a stand a lone to be able to rev 500 more rpms past 7900.

stang8psi

Established Member
Everyone likes to be different. Not worth it to spend all the money on a stand a lone to be able to rev 500 more rpms past 7900.

but be smart about it.. those of us who are and to those that have reved that high there is more to the motors than stock.. built high compression motors, valve springs and cams, manifolds, billet oil pump gears etc.. a stock motor i dont see the benifits as the valve springs, manifold and pulse ring, and oil pump gears are not up to par to see those rpms

specizripn

Established Member
Oh I know what's involved, and If I'm going to be spending $4000+ on a standalone, I will be going all out with the motor. This is why I'm doing research, so I can figure out everything involved and decide if it is worth it or not.

Eric@jpc

Established Member

How far past 8K? are we talking 8200 or 8800

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
the frpp High rev pulse ring allows the motor to spin to 8200 rpm.. this is needed to safely spin the motor.. It has a different spacing and tooth count on the ring that the ecu reads to let the computer accurately read the timing and rpms of the crank
I have compared both, they had the same amount of "teeth" ... They simply took a stock ring and added a little material to make the big "tooth" shallower..

Shaun@AED

I have compared both, they had the same amount of "teeth" ... They simply took a stock ring and added a little material to make the big "tooth" shallower..

Exactly.

And I took my 2012 GT to 8400 on the dyno with the stock Wheel (trans never removed from car).

The wheel is not the limitation. It's in the software.

Users who are viewing this thread