thunderbird w/cobra engine swap

black93

Established Member
i want a five speed thunderbird with a monster 4.6 and sc body.i want to know if i get a 5-speed sc and swap in a 96-02 cobra engine and tranny, will it work or is there an easier option for me. will the 4.6 go in without much trouble or will there need to be major modification for it to fit.i know there are 4.6's in some lx's so im pretty sure they will fit, but the lx's dont come w/ 5 speeds. A parts lists and major procedure list would be very helpful.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
the 4.6 DOHC should 'swap' in fairly easy since they came with the SOHC 4.6. I don't see why you couldn't fit one in there with the right money and/or skills....

Aaron_T

Established Member
Which SC body94/95 style I assume? You could just get a SC or a 4.6L and do the swap. It's gonna be a little hard to find a manual SC of those years in decent shape, and no V8 manuals, but if you are already planning on doing a swap like this, you could just swap in a better tranny.
The V8 won't have the gfx, but it's pretty easy to find used SC gfx for sale.

The only thing that might be an issue is engine height, in which case just get a cowl hood, but I don't know for sure.

Grifter

Established Member
there have been quite a few DOHC swaps into birds.. it doesnt matter what year the bird is, they all have the provisions on the firewall for a clutch. The holes are there, just need the hardware. Steal it from any 89+ SC 5spd car, and your good to go.

METALBEAST

Best of Both Worlds
Established Member
There is a buddy of mine running a 94 Cougar with an 03 Cobra motor in it. He calls it FRANKENCOUGIE! I'll find his site and post some pics when I can.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I know its been done in a Fox Mustang and directly transfer to the Fox Birds/Cats, but anyone have any info on those specifically?

VicRattlehead

NMRA M/M 7270
Established Member
METALBEAST said:
There is a buddy of mine running a 94 Cougar with an 03 Cobra motor in it. He calls it FRANKENCOUGIE! I'll find his site and post some pics when I can.

its not a cobra motor. its a SOHC with a roush blower ontop.

svtbird99

Established Member
u need to go to tccoa.com and check it out they have a list somewhere on their site that u need to fit that tranny and motor to the t bird . they have a special kit that they sale on one of their vendors that makes this kit to make sure the shifter links up .

Bigscott

Established Member
Someone say Frankencougie?

30135.jpg

The snake emblem with the head cut off is a clue to what lies underneath those very sweet CNC ported 2V Renegade heads :p

3796.jpg

The blower setup is the Roush Stage III Prototype that I molested. :coolman:

3756.jpg

It's a bulit to the tilt '01 Cobra shortblock! :burnout:

-Scott

"Face it….. you are just too F’ing dumbassed to be a wordsmith and cross swords with the ghey kid, me or lots of others, who recognise you as an oversensitive dumbassed mechanic whose highest aspiration is to rise in the tootsie rool organization, and garner adulation due to your obsessive powdercoating, and picture posting on the net…. Does anyone care? you have been played again , and still are too stupid to figure out the futility of it because some of us just dont care" -Big Bird 5.4 :loser:

Last edited:

Little J's 5.4

Established Member
An SOHC is a suitable option none the less since it is a popular mod and has been done so many times that (please excuse the pun) even a trained monkey can perform that swap... Though not with the beauty and finesse that scotty has reached... :thumbsup: and I will say that is one pretty show quality motor...

Being a NA man myself since I am not keen on babying a super charger. I would lean towards the 4.6L DOHC swap. Though not as cookie cutter as a SC 4.6L SOHC SC it is still a popular swap and there is a large resource to draw from. But, I would do so with an automatic transmission first.

A performance Automatic transmission built by someone like the Dog with a good EEC tune will, unless operated by a professional, outperform most manual transmissions. :read:

It is a bunch of work to swap in a manual transmission in a MN12 with little gains. Unless of course, you simply want it bad. :shrug: Then my all means go for it!!!! I did so with my motor... :pepper: Make sure you get the Cobra engine, tranny, wiring harness and EEC...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
In a DOHC swap in a bird what are you guys doing for a left manifold.... The Mark 8s have a cat made into it...

Are you making a custom left header and hanging a cat underneath in a custom H or X pipe???

I do think given enough patience and money a Terminator engine and 6 speed swap into one of these cars would be FREAKING SICK!!!!

I absolutely LOVE The bodies on them.... very slippery, and roomy inside too!!! :rockon:

Will Cobra half shafts fit the wider chassis???
A manual with a HIGH TORQUE engine is a parts breaking animal!!!

A modified 4R70W would be much easier on all the "down stream" parts(28 spline axles)... as well as being a much simpler install...

Skidonenko

Established Member
VicRattlehead said:
the sc trans WILL NOT bolt up to the 4.6 gotta do a t45 or t56 and you need to figure out a way to make the shifter work.

not very hard with some southern injinuity and a welder...... almoast wish i still had my bird because ive come up with a bunch of new ideas to improve on the original design. For all the guys wanting a 5-speed you might look at the new mustangs, they use a t-5 and 3560 with a hyd setup and the shifter is mounted off the trans

supragod98

Established Member
??? Ok I was going to do a sc cobra motor swap one day. Does the 03-04 sc cobra motors have 2v or 4v heads on them? I know stupid question.

flatblack5.0

breakin stuff since 04
Established Member
the dohc 4.6 will go right in as it was in a car with the same chassis, the mk8 nad the mk8 came with the 4.6 dohc from the factory

Users who are viewing this thread