Just got sent home from tuner saying i have an issue. need advice

b00stin

Established Member
so i just got back from taking my car to the tuner... here is my setup.. 1996 cobra, stock pcm, Hellion 76 mm turbo system, 60lb injectors, pro-m 80mm draw thru maf cal'd for 60 lb injectors, aeromotive 340lph fuel pump, imrc deletes, rear o2 sensors deleted, secondary air injection deleted.
So i went to get the vehicle tuned today... the car has been kinda falling on its face when shifting to second gear light throttle driving. i thought because it wasn't tuned yet this is normal.. so i take the car to the tuner today and i get a phone call saying there is an issue with the vehicle that it is falling on its face and won't accelerate or basically do anything and it is puffing black smoke. they said that it could be bad injectors.. so they swap them out with known good ones, it doesnt change. now they say that it could be a bad mass air flow sensor. the sensor was brand new out of the box... i checked for any leaks in intercooler piping or anything abnormal and i found nothing. what are the chances the mass air flow is the culprit? it sounds like the vehicle just isnt tuned to me and is running super rich... can anyone chime in and maybe give me any insight as in what they have seen or what could be wrong here? im lost. i just spent 225 dollars for absolutely nothing.. and don't really know what to do next

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
A runner that can not diagnose what is wrong and suggest a correction is not much of a tuner IMHO.

Get an email tune from Amazon and they will work with you as you data log the operational details and fine tune as you go.

At least get some opinions from some credible tuners and compare options.

b00stin

Established Member
the question i have is am i chasing a phantom issue as far as having the imrc deletes wont that make the car run like crap below 3250 rpm anyways?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
the question i have is am i chasing a phantom issue as far as having the imrc deletes wont that make the car run like crap below 3250 rpm anyways?

My understanding is that it will just lack torque.
Mainly due to reduced runner velocity, which reduces fuel atomization since the injector is only in the square port and that port is now sharing the air with the round port.
The round port basically is feeding lean air into the cylinder to mix after the fact.
Combined with the fact that the swirl effect has been almost completely eliminated because both ports are feeding the cylinder and there is not enough air at low rpm to create the velocity needed to create the tumble effect.

Not sure if that is enough disruption in flow velocity to produce the symptoms you are experiencing though.

warbird19

Established Member
People dont realize that by removing the IMRC and not having a tune is not good. There are different timing tables used when the IMRC are open Vs. Closed. Are you haveing a tip in issue? Or a light throttle low rpm issue? Have you data logged the MAF to see if you are getting a clean signal. Where is it located in the intercooler piping?

b00stin

Established Member
I just got an sct tuner and will be doing data logs shortly ... its a tip in issue low rpm 2nd gear.. it is a draw through Maf.... u can see my setup in the blower bistro under 76mm hellion 96 cobra install..should be one of the top posts

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

01yellercobra

Established Member
It sounds like it's the tune. But to see if it's the MAF unplug it and start the car. If the MAF is bad then the car will run better.

b00stin

Established Member
I'm honestly not sure what they did...he said they logged data yet I didn't receive any other than "everything looked good" and that the mass air flow sensor isn't correct

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I'm honestly not sure what they did...he said they logged data yet I didn't receive any other than "everything looked good" and that the mass air flow sensor isn't correct

unless in your tune the correct maf's value file was loaded it will be off.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
A runner that can not diagnose what is wrong and suggest a correction is not much of a tuner IMHO.

Get an email tune from Amazon and they will work with you as you data log the operational details and fine tune as you go.

At least get some opinions from some credible tuners and compare options.

I agree Jimmy if the current tune file isn't working adjust the MAF tranfer curve, fuel tables,etc.. Then load the custom into the ECU, spin it on the rollers and Datalog. My guess it's a tune issue NOT injectors or a new out of box MAF..:beer:

b00stin

Established Member
I don't believe that would affect Maf counts. Correct me if I am wrong but that reading is based off of what the Maf is actually reading as air passes through it? A leak after the Maf wouldn't effect it. I could be wrong I am not a master tuner lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread