2004 stx engine/trans refresh

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
last few months i had the 4.6 out of my stx 2wd and started it up yesterday for the first time. ever since i bought it in 2009 it had an oil leak that i tried to fix it by doing the covers early on, but it kept on leaking. engine ran real good otherwise, but the trans had started throwing codes towards the end of last year.

after pulling the heads it turned out one had a crack, which explained the leak. so i got new assembled heads from ford. they already have the updated spark plug threads so that saved me doing a lock-n-stitch on my old heads (which is what i had planned). and i got the transmission rebuilt too.

here's a few pics. this was good practice for when i put a new 5.4 ford reman in my fx4 next year.

working by myself so it was nice that i didn't need to remove the hood
DSCN3070.JPG

crack in cylinder head
DSCN3145.JPG

brand new heads from ford
DSCN3142.JPG

updated spark plug threads
DSCN3143.JPG

engine freshened up
DSCN3201.JPG

rebuilt transmission
DSCN3129.JPG

4r70 is a lot heavier than the t-56's i am used to - so i rented big boy transmission jack
DSCN3226.JPG

all back together and runnin' good so far!
DSCN3257.JPG

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
thanks guys -

yeah brad all i did with the short block was the rear main seal and cleaned the tops of the pistons. everything else looked and felt real good. still even had the cross hatch patterns with no ridges. should i have done the oil pump at 136k? probably... but, i figure you gotta draw the line somewhere lol
DSCN3157.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread