3.5 EcoBoost pics

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Typhoon5000, very nice pic!

I can't wait to see what the weak links will be on this new ecoboost motor and drivetrain. Also can't wait to see how much power it can make with a few mods!

32VDOHC

Established Member
Well of course it is. It's hard to beat this (My SHO's motor):
2181573_28_full.jpg

But, it will perform much better, so I can forgive it for that.

I had a 93 SHO....LOVED THAT CAR!!!!!! Those engines are outstanding.

faststang14

Established Member
Looks awesome.

Looks like they're pulling the direct injection technology off of its big brother - the Powerstroke.

I have to admit, I'm pretty excited to learn more about this engine as more material is released.

yeah but the problem is gonna be the direct injection in gasoline applications. in the powerstroke. diesel is more forgiving easier to maneuver and they afford humongous pumps. these cars are more complicated since they need over 150PSI to work. i dont see a mechanical pump so if they are using electric ones..... i see bad problems in the future specially for tuners in that matter. look at audi/VW how much they struggled on this technology for forced induction. in the other hand thanks to the system 12.1 compression ration FTW :rockon:

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
the eb has a low pressure and high pressure fuel sys. the high pressure is mechanical driven off the cam under that peice of foam on the cam cover in the pic

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yep, it had more. The tranny in the SHO is the weak link, that's what has to be really watched with the tune. That will be the big advantage of the F-150 EcoBoost, it will have the 6R80. If you think that a reg cab 2wd F-150 weighs about the same as an SHO it may just be a fun DD.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Yep, it had more. The tranny in the SHO is the weak link, that's what has to be really watched with the tune. That will be the big advantage of the F-150 EcoBoost, it will have the 6R80. If you think that a reg cab 2wd F-150 weighs about the same as an SHO it may just be a fun DD.

Are there reports of any tranny damage? Is it that close to the edge? I know that it has been talked about as the weak link quite a bit, but is it as bad as some make it out to be?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The tranny in the SHO is only rated to 440lbft. I haven't heard of anyone tanking a tranny yet, but I wouldn't doubt it.

typhoon5000

Established Member
The SHO that ran 12.75 had a tune with increased boost on it, I think only 2-3psi over stock, but the more impressive thing is he was running low 13's without increasing boost and only tuning A/R ratio, timing, etc. The u/n of the guy running it was Beefcake. He's been on here before, as he's had or has a Termi and an award winning L.

He didn't blow the tranny or seem to have any damage from it, even on hard launches, but An engineer from Borg warner who developed the turbos for the EB told be the tranny was only rated at 400ft-lb:shrug:.

The other thing is that SHO is already for sale after only 4000miles. It's a black one at a Cincinnati Ford dealer with smoke lights. It was and may still be on Auto Trader.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread