6.7 diesel injector copper washer got dropped

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
2015 f550

everything we could tell #2 injector needed to be replaced, pulled it and the copper washer stayed behind, stuck to the head. They finally got it loose but apparently it got dropped on the way out and is now in the valve cover. Anyone had any luck getting one out? Will it just run down an oil return? being soft copper will it be an issue? Looks like an absolute mother ****er to get the valve cover off.

I do see where the injector sits theres a rubber seal - that would open up a lot of room to look around/try to retrieve it - is that seal able to be removed/replaced from the top side of the valve cover?

@13COBRA - any of your guys have any thoughts on this?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Man. Regardless of how hard it is to get the valve cover off...I'd try to remove it then extract the washer. Copper washers aren't as bad as dropping a bolt or something...but I would sure hate for $0.13 piece of hardware to tear the shit out of the engine.

I asked my guy that would do it here and he said that he's 99.9% sure the seal can be removed then replaced from the top side, but it takes some finessing.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Man. Regardless of how hard it is to get the valve cover off...I'd try to remove it then extract the washer. Copper washers aren't as bad as dropping a bolt or something...but I would sure hate for $0.13 piece of hardware to tear the shit out of the engine.

I asked my guy that would do it here and he said that he's 99.9% sure the seal can be removed then replaced from the top side, but it takes some finessing.

can that rubber seal in the VC the injector goes through be pulled and replaced from the top side or does it go from under the cover?

I guess the borescope is broken so they bringing in a new one tomorrrow to look for it

edit: of course the pass side is the one with the egr cooler and all that other shit.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
can that rubber seal in the VC the injector goes through be pulled and replaced from the top side or does it go from under the cover?

I guess the borescope is broken so they bringing in a new one tomorrrow to look for it

edit: of course the pass side is the one with the egr cooler and all that other shit.

He said he's pretty sure it can...but it's challenging to get it out without damage and back in.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
found the washer sitting on the backside of the valve stem on the lower right of the injector hole. Looks like the spring is compressed so its resting on the retainer and leaning against part of the head casting. Picking up a new oil seal, with that popped our pretty sure we can get it

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
found the washer sitting on the backside of the valve stem on the lower right of the injector hole. Looks like the spring is compressed so its resting on the retainer and leaning against part of the head casting. Picking up a new oil seal, with that popped our pretty sure we can get it

Awesome news! Good job!

A little luck never hurt anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread