A moment of silence......

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
:( :( :( Yesterday, Car #7, the only regular duty 9C1 Caprice left in our county, the last REAL police car ever made......was retired. Over protest of almost every officer in the department, our chief decided that since we were gatting a new car, he would get rid of it, being that it is the oldest, setting aside the fact that we have two newer cars that are in much worse shape and have more miles, and the officers like the car much more.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Nope...not an Impala...get this..

A DEISEL EXCURSION!

They are making the senior officer drive it every shift, they are putting all our tactical gear in it, along with all of our evidence collection stuff, which basically eliminates a quick response time from one of our officers on duty. How are they supposed to respond quickly in that big huge lumbering diesel monster?

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Man God rest another faithful 9C1, best large car ever made, heck at its mileage it was just broke in!! Hillie,

Are they going to auction it somewhere???

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
Wow Hille that sux, we still have about 15 Caprices in service here...Nice thing is I'm assigned to one of them so I always get to cruise in style....About just getting broken in...other than my car which only has 102,000...the rest of them probably have over 135,000 and still run great....Sad thing is they have retired 15 of them from service this year, for Impala's (What a Joke)...and the rest will be retired next year when we get the next order of 20 or so Impala's...The three supervisors cars were retired this year and replaced with Tahoes (4X4, 5.3L, Loaded except for leather), they will be used as rapid response vehicles in an emergency (loaded with swat shields, m16's, mp5's) also....It will be a sad day when the last "REAL" police car leaves the back lot...:-(

Last edited:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraDOHC
Impala's (What a Joke)

TELL ME ABOUT IT!! They break constantly, FWD SUCKS!! They don't handle for CRAP and they are TOO SMALL. I hate daytime running lights, you can't sit and hide. They give you that surveillance mode button that shuts the lights of when the car is in park, but after the car is about 6 months old that button pokes through the dashboard never to be securely mounted in place again. IMPALA'S SUCK!!!

Ginsu

Established Member
other than my car which only has 102,000...the rest of them probably have over 135,000 and still run great
:lol: :lol:
We put about that many miles on our cars in about a year to a year and a half! Our ragged out POS cars are '01 models. Now SWAT, STEP and Task Force all have assigned take home cars....theirs are on an average 5-7 years old.

Oh how I wish the bean counters would realize that assigned car program will save so much money in the long run!. Granted a huge expense to begin with. But instead of having to service a car every week or every other, wear and tear on parts and finally replacing the vehicle after it is only about 2 years old!

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by Ginsu

Oh how I wish the bean counters would realize that assigned car program will save so much money in the long run!. Granted a huge expense to begin with. But instead of having to service a car every week or every other, wear and tear on parts and finally replacing the vehicle after it is only about 2 years old!

Tell me about it!!!

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
Actually I think it really is alot of miles, considering all 40 of the fleet cars have that many miles....how many cars do you have in the fleet Ginsu?? Also how big is your total patrol area, we only have about 20 sq miles or so......

One of our Commanders cars is a 96 Caprice and it has about 30,000 miles or so.....pretty much all miles were put on going to work and going home....it must be nice....

Ginsu

Established Member
Cobb Co PD has 5 zones with approx 10 officers on duty per shift per zone. Some zones are obviously bigger than others based on how large the population is in that area. Inside the county there are 5 cities who have their own departments who take care of everything inside their city limits. My department covers the unincorporated area's. But about 80 % of Cobb is all buisness districts or residential area's. For giggles here is a link to the Chamber of Commerce for more details. The county is 400 square miles and as of a couple years ago the population was 607,751 people (I am not sure of what it is currently).

So in a round about way in answering your question, every beat in all the zones are different sizes. Some are very small and others are huge. I work in zone 4 and average about 80-115 miles a shift working my beat or my beat partners. Each zone has about 15-20 cars that every one uses. Special Ops is has about 100 to 200 cars that are take home and assigned.

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
I guess 135,000 miles every two years or so wouldn't be to hard for a department with as much room you have to work with.....we only put on about 50-80 miles a shift....The 20 Sq. miles is seperated into 7 different beats (zones). We have one officer in each beat and depending on the shift a few rove cars...Day shift usually has one, and afternoons has 1-5 depending on whos on or off....So basically each officer has around 3-5 square miles to drive around in which really isn't anything compared to your zones....

Ginsu

Established Member
Four of our zones have 8 beats where one zone has 10 because of the amount of...ummm...business for the officers. So on an average we have 40 beat officers on duty with about 50-70 Special Ops officers on duty and about 60 detectives per shift.

Users who are viewing this thread