Annoying chime

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
I've tried doing some searching out there, even on other forums, and everyone's 'solution' it seems is in reality not a solution.

We all know, when the key's in the ignition..."DING DING DING...." no matter what's going on, could be running, could be your headlights were left on and the door opens, whatever it might be, it's gonna DING!

Has anyone tried swapping in a later 99-04 (not too sure on the year range, but in the 03-04 Cobra's, they have what I'm looking for) door chime? What I mean, when you turn on the ignition, it'll still DING at ya, but it goes away like normal, and now the only difference is when you open the door, there's just a simple short beeeeep, to let you know the key's in the ignition and it's on. Then you can have the car running with the door open if you want and not have to listen to a constant DING.

Is there a way we can retrofit a newer style dinger into our 94-98's? Would this require an entire wiring harness swap to complete? Are we just SOL?

Thanks!

I_like_turtlez

Established Member
You'd have to look at service data diagrams, off the top of my head the simplest solution would be to cut the signal wire running to the door so that there's no sound at all when the door is ajar

Obviously the circuit is tied from the ignition switch to all throughout the interior, sometimes you can move a wire-pin into a different position to circumvent it's intended purpose but that often causes unwanted effects since a single wire can power multiple circuits

A good example of that is the popular "mod" where people move one of the wires in the center console connector to allow the fog lights to run independently of the head lights.. if your dimmer switch gets touched after that(or goes faulty) this can then cause the lights to not work at all..

Anyway I guess the chimer module itself could be changed but I'm not sure that would create a different beeping pattern in itself

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
You'd have to look at service data diagrams, off the top of my head the simplest solution would be to cut the signal wire running to the door so that there's no sound at all when the door is ajar

Obviously the circuit is tied from the ignition switch to all throughout the interior, sometimes you can move a wire-pin into a different position to circumvent it's intended purpose but that often causes unwanted effects since a single wire can power multiple circuits

A good example of that is the popular "mod" where people move one of the wires in the center console connector to allow the fog lights to run independently of the head lights.. if your dimmer switch gets touched after that(or goes faulty) this can then cause the lights to not work at all..

Anyway I guess the chimer module itself could be changed but I'm not sure that would create a different beeping pattern in itself
Funny, because I did the fog light "mod" myself a while back and I always cruise around with the fog lights and the parking lights on.

I don't have a factory shop manual for either a 97 or a 99-04 car to know for sure, but there must be something there, because the normal chime is there in the later cars, but only in key on - seatbelt not fastened. Then it goes away like with ours, but when you open the door on the later cars, there's this pleasant beep that lets you know the key is still in and on. Same goes for F150's around the same era. Lightning's included.

Now a days, with the key on and you open the door, you're met with Ford's new goofy chime which I've never liked, ever since I first heard it in a brand new 2011 Ford Edge I hopped into years back.

There's gotta be a way to figure this out!

Users who are viewing this thread