Attn gearheads! Selecting gears...

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
ok, so i have a deal on a solid axle (another post, im gettin one regardless) my question is what gear to select. the car will see mostly street and the track at LEAST once a month. in selecting a gear, u want 4th to be close to redline (or at it) when crossing the traps right? so with a few calculations ive done ive come up with...using 26" tires and slicks and a 6500rpm limiter in 4th gear

146mph with 3.55s
139mph with 3.73s
132mph with 3.90s and
126mph with 4.10s

realistically, id prolly only bring it to about 6200rpms or so so lets drop a few mph on these. the 3.55s are out cuz i dont think ill ever see 145 at the traps. 4.10s are out cuz im shotting for a high 10 in the 125mph range. im thinkin the 3.90s which are good to 130. thats a sweet trap and even when im trapping 120 thats still 5900rpms.....whatcha think??

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
In my humble opinion there is more to selecting agear than beingclose to redline in 4th when you cross the line. I dunno what you have for mods but I cant get traction with stock gears, I would never consider going with anything to multiply torque further.

ALA G8R

Banned
Why not buy a set of 16 in wheels and run shorter, stickier tires in the rear for the track. That way your street traction is reasonable and you get better gearing for the track.

YMO.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
shorter slicks. 26" is small enough for me..u need sidewall!! bad enough i need to se 16" rims. i go to the strip alot so it needs to be set for that. the street im not too worried about...just have to feather her out like i do now.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IMHO, and I am not trying to flame anyone, I would go with the gear that puts you closest to your project times (sounds like the 3.90's are it). Traction will come with driving ability and chassis tuning (pinon angles, different tires, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread