Automobile Mag says SC 4.6 for '06 Cobra

joeclams9

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
The N/A 4v isnt actually a Cobra drive train anymore what with the only ones being made are 03 Mach1 Blocks now...

My question is now if the standard Cobra coupe ends up at 40k, are we looking at a Cobra R thats goina cost upwards of 70 thousand dollars? thats a bit steep even for an R IMO.

First your complaining about the cobra price, now the R too?. Lets just get straight that I was referring to the fact that someone said the gt was gonna have the s/c engine in it at some point..which I dont see. I also dont see them putting the mach 1 engine in either. I see them putting the 3v headed engine in. Other then that, for me, who cares how much the cobra R is gonna be, it will be price matched to other cars that its supposed to compete with. It still doesnt change the fact of how I feel concerning an upped price of about 5k (wouldnt accept more really) if they lowered the weight considerably vs. the other models of mustang. After that point who cares what they do with the cobra R, and how do you now assume the price of that. I'm sorry, but I just can't understand how the cobra R's price comes into your arguement. Lets focus on the fact that we are discussing cobra vs. gt prices, and lets focus on the fact that not even the gt's drivetrain is set yet. So any assumption as to the price is kinda silly. Furthermore, to bring up a cobra R price is also silly because I'm sure they havent even thought about what its gonna be yet, and im sure they dont base its price solely on the cobra's price. But as alittle side note to the cobra R...they were hinting in a recent mmandff article with a ford guy that the cobra R will be more mass produced....so maybe that 70k price that you expect due to in part to the rarity it will carry might not be so bad anyway.

joe

joeclams9

Established Member
Originally posted by Mojo03
You could add 5% each year for inflation. For example, my '01 cost 29 and change and my '03 cost 34,750 and there's two years difference in between those two. There's not going to be an '04 or '05 Cobra, so add 15% for the '06 and we're right near 40k. Ford knows this and how the market will grow with other performance wanna-bees like the GTO and others, so I'd bet that they'll be a nice improvement in the SVT Cobra. After 30 years fo tailing Chevy, do you really think Ford wants to give that up to either GM or even MOPAR????

they are going to make an 04 cobra, just a fyi.

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
Ok if you want to look price.
A Bullitt costed 35,500 Canadian, yet a Mach1 is 37,500.
2000 dollars Canadian more, and you get a car that outperforms it.

Most price on special edition vehicles ala Cobra, Mach, bullitt, are there because they ARE in fact limited.

A 4.6L 4v DOHC was never an SVT motor only. However SVT did make a version for the Cobra. As stated above, a DOCH 4v is in the Mach now, also the Maurader etc.
NOT the same as the SVT created 4.6L.

Don't think they'll throw it in the GT, with the supercharger either?
Piss off too many Cobra owners?
Well ask the 98 Cobra owners how they feel about a Mach1?
Or the 01 Cobra owners about a Mach1...
Or the 00R owners about the 03 Cobra.

If they are pissed off against HP, then they need to re-evaluate the car they drive. They are exlusive and extremely awsome cars...hp or not.

I think we'll all be surprised.

Ford can't let the market trash around the mustang, the options will be there if you want speed..... believe it.

03CobraBro

Established Member
You guys need to read this thred:

Click here

Boomer: there isnt goina be a supercharged GT :rollseyes. Thats wishful thinking on your part. The only supercharged GT thats around right now is the 05 GT Concept. The production GT will not have a supercharged engine of any sort.

Clams: There wont be a 3v 4.6 for the Mustang GT either. Ford is phasing out the 2v's and switching over to the N/A 4v's for the GT's.

joeclams9

Established Member
Originally posted by Boomer v3.8
Ok if you want to look price.
A Bullitt costed 35,500 Canadian, yet a Mach1 is 37,500.
2000 dollars Canadian more, and you get a car that outperforms it.

Most price on special edition vehicles ala Cobra, Mach, bullitt, are there because they ARE in fact limited.

A 4.6L 4v DOHC was never an SVT motor only. However SVT did make a version for the Cobra. As stated above, a DOCH 4v is in the Mach now, also the Maurader etc.
NOT the same as the SVT created 4.6L.

Well ask the 98 Cobra owners how they feel about a Mach1?
Or the 01 Cobra owners about a Mach1...
Or the 00R owners about the 03 Cobra.

If they are pissed off against HP, then they need to re-evaluate the car they drive. They are exlusive and extremely awsome cars...hp or not.

I think we'll all be surprised.

Ford can't let the market trash around the mustang, the options will be there if you want speed..... believe it.

your right, the dohc 4v is not only in the cobra. Thanks for telling me something I knew already. The supercharged one is though, and if you look at the track record of ford and svt since the introduction of the modular line in full swing in 96, the gt has never matched the performance of the cobra the year before and its not going to start to happen in 2005 imo. So that doesn't hold water to me. Also, why would a 98 cobra owner be pissed about the mach 1? its practically the same car at practically the same price, yet again it did not happen the year after the 98 was produced. 01 cobra owner to mach 1? why would he be pissed?, its still not a gt, its still around the same price as the 01 cobra, its got a live axle which some don't want, and at least on paper it has alittle less hp then the 01 though i haven't seen dyno numbers. As far as cobra to cobra R comparo's Im sure the 00 guys could have expected that result since the same sort of thing happened in 96 with the cobra having a couple more hp. Point being that your not going to see them from one year to the next take a gt, call it a gt, and have all the stuff the year before's cobra had in it. I seriously think we will see the gt still in the 20s and the cobra in the high 30s, but i'll wait and see before I assume that the gt is gonna have more hp then the year before's cobra.

joeclams9

Established Member
You guys need to read this thred:

Click here

Boomer: there isnt goina be a supercharged GT :rollseyes. Thats wishful thinking on your part. The only supercharged GT thats around right now is the 05 GT Concept. The production GT will not have a supercharged engine of any sort.

Clams: There wont be a 3v 4.6 for the Mustang GT either. Ford is phasing out the 2v's and switching over to the N/A 4v's for the GT's.

Now that I can believe cobrabro, Im open to anything happening with the gt except for the supercharged engine goin in there.

joe

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by joeclams9
Now that I can believe cobrabro, Im open to anything happening with the gt except for the supercharged engine goin in there.

joe

Well Ill tell ya joe... nothing is set in stone right now... But a 3valve 4.6 is a much more realistic thought than a 400hp supercharged Mustang GT. Thats plain crazy... You can bet if they did drop :lol: the Terminators power plant in the GT that it would cost over 30 grand.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Boomer v3.8

It would piss off mustang owners in general. They were used to paying between 20 and 25 thousand dollars before, and now, if they actually did put a SC engine in the Mustang GT, they would be paying 30 to 35 thousand dollars...

davidmax

Established Member
I would like to see a build sheet for the GT and the C-6 where you have a choice of 3 drivetrains,remember the 60's?I bought my 66' Galaxie XL 500 with a choice of a 289/352/427,C6 or C4 Trans and several rear end ratios.
I would rather wait 8-10 weeks and get the car I want.I ahave a 427 in my Vette(c5r) with Twin Garrets its so powerful its a Dyno queen but from a 50 mph roll I have won 100% and never by less than 5-6 car lengths.Rumors are flying that the 500+ hp 427 C5R will be an option and believe me no mods neede .I have built quite a few with headers and great tuning best in US we dont tune Fords,maybe 1 day
and some minor mods you will see a Z06 at 3100 lbs. pumping 550 rrwhp with 600+ lbs tqe.
Add an Ati and a 50 lb. shot and ypur a 700 rrwhp beast!! Dave S.

94RedCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by davidmax
I would like to see a build sheet for the GT and the C-6 where you have a choice of 3 drivetrains,remember the 60's?I bought my 66' Galaxie XL 500 with a choice of a 289/352/427,C6 or C4 Trans and several rear end ratios.
I would rather wait 8-10 weeks and get the car I want.I ahave a 427 in my Vette(c5r) with Twin Garrets its so powerful its a Dyno queen but from a 50 mph roll I have won 100% and never by less than 5-6 car lengths.Rumors are flying that the 500+ hp 427 C5R will be an option and believe me no mods neede .I have built quite a few with headers and great tuning best in US we dont tune Fords,maybe 1 day
and some minor mods you will see a Z06 at 3100 lbs. pumping 550 rrwhp with 600+ lbs tqe.

Whoa, work on the grammar a bit buddy.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by davidmax

You have a C5R?? Thats the le manz edition Corvette... Far from street legal unlike its Arch Rival the Viper GTS-R.

joeclams9

Established Member
You have a C5R?? Thats the le manz edition Corvette... Far from street legal unlike its Arch Rival the Viper GTS-R.

Nah, hes merely saying that he has the C5R block in his car as apposed to a stroker 427. At least thats the way I'm reading it.

joe

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Re: Time for 5.4

Originally posted by jshen
then I'll trade my 03.....

Ahhhh yes, music to my ears. I'm sorta waiting for all the '03 owners to trader their Cobras in on an '06, or the 05 GT, then I'll go buy a used '03. :D I'd like a new car of course, but I'm probably going to have 5 years of graduate school to go through. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread