Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, I changed the oil for the first time this weekend. I originally used Amsoil break-in oil and was told the break in period was 500 miles. Well, next month (May 2024) will make 2 years since I completed the build. The car has just over 300 miles on it. Figured now is as good a time as any LOL. Overall everything looked good. Only one surprise LOL.

Got the car situated.
20240428_110254_resized a.jpg

20240428_110306_resized.jpg

I pulled the front and rear drain plugs. They both had what looked like "metal sludge" on the magnets. It was a little thicker than I liked, but since this was the first oil change I thought it was okay.
20240428_112037_resized.jpg

20240428_112045_resized.jpg

Here is the clean plug for comparison.
20240428_112317_resized.jpg

Even though the oil is dark (it went in red) it does not look metallic and when I drained the pan there were no chunks. Everything looks good here.
20240428_114650_resized.jpg

20240428_114717_resized.jpg

Here is the surprise LOL. After removing the oil filter I found this piece sticking out. After further inspection it looks like an O-ring or a piece of RTV. Have no clue what it is exactly or where it could have come from.
20240428_114903_resized.jpg

20240428_114915_resized.jpg

After I was finished draining the oil, I put the drain plugs back in and installed another FL-1A filter and lowered the car. I filled it up with Amsoil Z-Rod 10w-30. I fired it up and checked for leaks. No leaks. Gauge read 60PSI of oil pressure. Took it for a drive around the block. Checked for leaks again. No leaks. After the oil warmed up oil pressure dropped to 30PSI at idle, but would climb as I increased the RPM's.

Overall, besides the chunk in the oil filter, I think everything looked good and went well. I will probably change the oil again around 5 or 600 miles to see what it looks like. I'm pretty sure there will be less "metal sludge" on the magnets next time.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Hello Everyone,

Well, I changed the oil for the first time this weekend. I originally used Amsoil break-in oil and was told the break in period was 500 miles. Well, next month (May 2024) will make 2 years since I completed the build. The car has just over 300 miles on it. Figured now is as good a time as any LOL. Overall everything looked good. Only one surprise LOL.

Got the car situated.
View attachment 1838604

View attachment 1838605

I pulled the front and rear drain plugs. They both had what looked like "metal sludge" on the magnets. It was a little thicker than I liked, but since this was the first oil change I thought it was okay.
View attachment 1838606

View attachment 1838607

Here is the clean plug for comparison.
View attachment 1838608

Even though the oil is dark (it went in red) it does not look metallic and when I drained the pan there were no chunks. Everything looks good here.
View attachment 1838609

View attachment 1838610

Here is the surprise LOL. After removing the oil filter I found this piece sticking out. After further inspection it looks like an O-ring or a piece of RTV. Have no clue what it is exactly or where it could have come from.
View attachment 1838611

View attachment 1838612

After I was finished draining the oil, I put the drain plugs back in and installed another FL-1A filter and lowered the car. I filled it up with Amsoil Z-Rod 10w-30. I fired it up and checked for leaks. No leaks. Gauge read 60PSI of oil pressure. Took it for a drive around the block. Checked for leaks again. No leaks. After the oil warmed up oil pressure dropped to 30PSI at idle, but would climb as I increased the RPM's.

Overall, besides the chunk in the oil filter, I think everything looked good and went well. I will probably change the oil again around 5 or 600 miles to see what it looks like. I'm pretty sure there will be less "metal sludge" on the magnets next time.

Do you still have the oil filter? Maybe you should cut it apart and look inside.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’d recommend a used oil analysis. Can get pre-paid kit thru Amsoil or Blackstone labs. For any fun car or a car like yours that doesn’t see a ton of miles the UOA is a cheap investment to monitor your stroker and it will also give you recommendations of oil change intervals based on your oil and use.
I do them on all my keeper cars.
-J

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I’d recommend a used oil analysis. Can get pre-paid kit thru Amsoil or Blackstone labs. For any fun car or a car like yours that doesn’t see a ton of miles the UOA is a cheap investment to monitor your stroker and it will also give you recommendations of oil change intervals based on your oil and use.
I do them on all my keeper cars.
-J

That's a great idea J. I looked on the Amsoil website and found the mail in kit. I'll probably order it this week and then send it in. Will be interesting to see what the report reveals. I've never done one before. Hopefully it's easy to read/interpret.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
That's a great idea J. I looked on the Amsoil website and found the mail in kit. I'll probably order it this week and then send it in. Will be interesting to see what the report reveals. I've never done one before. Hopefully it's easy to read/interpret.

id have to imagine it's similar to blackstone - they have all their categories for metal types, fuel dilution, silica etc... the normal range for each, your measurements and then a brief summary of the results and if there's anything to watch out for as well as potential explanations for out of spec categories

edit: if there's a place for it I would include a note saying it's the first or second oil change and approx miles on the motor

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I do the same Amsoil prepaid. Actually it’s saved me headaches on at least one car but I think you’ll find it easy to do/use and they should have some advice for you to consider also.
Let us know.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread