CA: have to go to state ref. Can I sell car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
according to the California DMV website a smog check is one of the things you need to complete for the car before the title can be transferred. So you will not be able to sell to a california resident and complete the transaction.

My guess is that even for an out of state buyer you will need the smog check because there is nothing that I could find regarding different procedures for an out of state buyer

DisposableHero

Established Member
according to the California DMV website a smog check is one of the things you need to complete for the car before the title can be transferred. So you will not be able to sell to a california resident and complete the transaction.

My guess is that even for an out of state buyer you will need the smog check because there is nothing that I could find regarding different procedures for an out of state buyer

so if I can pass smog I'll be cool?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
so if I can pass smog I'll be cool?

you have a ticket on the books. I seriously doubt it will get dismissed when you tell them you sold the car a month after you got the ticket.

If the CA DMV checks for outstanding tickets before the title is transferred then no you won't be cool. but if they don't you would be cool .. until it caught up to you .. then you would likely be in some hot water.

if you are really going to sell the car .. do the right thing and fix it. The other thing that will get you in trouble is if you fail to disclose to the buyer the ticket. this leaves him open to some trouble since in california the tags go with the car.

Disclaimer: I am not an LEO the above is my take on the situation based on your post and my reading of the california DMV website.

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
What did you have modified? No cats? Headers?

From what I've been told, the state ref is much harder than regular smog. So pending what you've done its best to go in stock.

Last edited:

DisposableHero

Established Member
i have full exhaust, but he didnt even say shit about that... he said my novi wasnt carb legal, which it is and i showed him the EO# on it, but he still didnt believe me. Gave me some bs about the intake tubing.

The car will pass smog. It has with similar exhaust before.

I just want to see if i can just sell the car so i dont have to hassle with the whole inspection thing.

If the new owner doesnt have to do anything, but smog it as well then i'm not holding back any info from him/her.

97cobra1

Established Member
If you have the papers proving it's carb legal go to court, show the judge. does it cost anything to get smog tested? if not might as well do that for good measure too, prove it passes that as well.

DisposableHero

Established Member
I dont have any papers, just the EO# printed on the blower and paxton's website saying the blower is 50 state legal as well.

The problem with the state ref is having to change out my whole exhaust and a few other things.

The cop never wrote on the paper what was the reason for the state ref check. Just wrote "modified emissions."

97cobra1

Established Member
i see. well i'd say fight it, but a vague ticket like that is hard to fight when you have exhaust that won't pass without changing it. Lookin like you're gonna have to suck it up and change out what needs to be changed to pass.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
he said my novi wasnt carb legal, which it is and i showed him the EO# on it, but he still didnt believe me.

hmm... a familiar scenario. :rollseyes :bored:

I would think the violations would follow you regardless of the status of the car since "it's your responsibility to ensure the car is legal to drive" and it's exactly that offense right there that you are getting fined for. I learned this all to well a few years ago when i drove a friend's car with an expired registration. Good luck man.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
i have full exhaust, but he didnt even say shit about that... he said my novi wasnt carb legal, which it is and i showed him the EO# on it, but he still didnt believe me. Gave me some bs about the intake tubing.

The car will pass smog. It has with similar exhaust before.

I just want to see if i can just sell the car so i dont have to hassle with the whole inspection thing.

If the new owner doesnt have to do anything, but smog it as well then i'm not holding back any info from him/her.

If you are selling the car in California you will be liable to disclose to the purchaser that you were ticketed and that although you feel it is carb legal, the officer didnt agree. As long as you give the purchaser notice, you will be okay. But if you dont give the person notice, and they get snagged because of your omission, they can come back and have you held liable in a civil action.

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
I dont have any papers, just the EO# printed on the blower and paxton's website saying the blower is 50 state legal as well.

If you are selling the car in California you will be liable to disclose to the purchaser that you were ticketed and that although you feel it is carb legal, the officer didnt agree. As long as you give the purchaser notice, you will be okay. But if you dont give the person notice, and they get snagged because of your omission, they can come back and have you held liable in a civil action.

Being that the blower was stamped with the EO number, wouldn't that be more physical proof than a feeling? I'm asking because your statement makes it sound like "he just feels its legal", where he has the proof right on the unit. I've heard of others having gone through the same, where the officer ignores the EO number and cites them anyway.

Maybe the OP can request the paperwork from Paxton and take that to court. Just a suggestion and keep it in the glove box. :shrug:

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Maybe the OP can request the paperwork from Paxton and take that to court. Just a suggestion and keep it in the glove box. :shrug:

It doesn't help. The EO plaque could be fake or ripped from another device for all the cop knows. Basically, you're at the LEO's discretion regardless of proof. :(

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
It doesn't help. The EO plaque could be fake or ripped from another device for all the cop knows. Basically, you're at the LEO's discretion regardless of proof. :(

Understood. Thanks.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Being that the blower was stamped with the EO number, wouldn't that be more physical proof than a feeling? I'm asking because your statement makes it sound like "he just feels its legal", where he has the proof right on the unit. I've heard of others having gone through the same, where the officer ignores the EO number and cites them anyway.

I dont know what the officer feels or felt at that time. The E.O. number would not be proof, a document related to the specific part claiming it to be legal would be proof.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
So the paper work itself would need to be present. Thank you.

There is no clear cut way to instruct you on this. I can only tell you what I "think" would be appropriate.

The best thing would be an official statement from the state of California indicating that the part on the car is legal and compliant as installed. Maybe a referee could give you something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread