Convertible top slams into windshield frame when closing

jpk

Established Member
I had leaky hydraulic arms and my top stopped working. So I ordered new heavy duty arms from LMR and had a shop install them and refill the fluid. Top goes up and down now.

Only issue is now when I close the top it slams full force into the top of the windshield. It used to stop an inch short and I’d have to pull it down to latch it in closed.

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for the closing action I can do?

Thanks!

jpk

Established Member
Ugh, you are probably correct. They must not have run the system up and down a few times and let the air out and topped it off again.

03' White Snake

Established Member
There is a screw adjustment. Put the top down and look where it folds in the middle of the roof. There is a screw with a lock nut on it.

03' White Snake

Established Member
OK, do I want to tighten or loosen that? Thanks!
I’ve never adjusted mine, but looking at how it works, if the top is closing too far, I’d say you would want to thread it out, to let the top close less.

Might want to measure the length first and write it down so you have a starting point and can always go back if something else doesn’t work right.

jpk

Established Member
Unfortunately the filling up of the pump didn't address it. The fluid was a bit low, but I topped it off and ran it up multiple times and kept topping it up, and there was 0 improvement. The top just slams into the top of the windshield frame and the motor keeps running for a few more seconds before it changes tone like its at the end of its max travel.

The adjustment screws in the middle of the top didn't do anything either for how far forwards the top goes.

It's almost as if the top now thinks its supposed to be six inches forwards of where it used to stop.

jpk

Established Member
OK, I played around with the top going up and down a bunch and the issue isn't that the top is actually moving forwards too far. The issue is the top is either going too fast or has lost control coming to a stop when raising and it slams all the way into the top of the windshield frame. If I very slowly raise the top by pressing the button in short increments, the top actually stops in the correct place about an inch short of fully closed. But if I press and hold the button, it just flys full force into the top of the windshield.

The arms are these from LMR:

beau t

Established Member
I haven't worked on a convertible top but when replacing cylinders at work i leave them disconnected (in your case from the top) to have them completely cycle through the full stroke a couple of times to get all of the air out.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
OK, I played around with the top going up and down a bunch and the issue isn't that the top is actually moving forwards too far. The issue is the top is either going too fast or has lost control coming to a stop when raising and it slams all the way into the top of the windshield frame. If I very slowly raise the top by pressing the button in short increments, the top actually stops in the correct place about an inch short of fully closed. But if I press and hold the button, it just flys full force into the top of the windshield.

i don't think you're really supposed to keep pressing the button the whole way. it sounds here like you've figured out the solution by stopping it short of being fully closed, which is what i think you're supposed to do.

i've always stopped pressing the button when it gets to like the 45* angle, open the clamps, and then pull it down and guide it into the pins manually, using the motor to help nudge it down, but maybe just one or two quick bursts.

Users who are viewing this thread