Improper Equipment

Vilocty

Established Member
Hey guys, I recently received a ticket for improper equipment, when I was pulled over for expired registration. The State Trooper (Virginia) walked up to my car and asked for the typical license and registration, then proceeded to take his Trooper hat off and look underneath my vehicle (where he saw my off-road X pipe). That's when he asked me what type of tow truck preference I had b/c he was going to impound my car. Fortunately, the officer had a change of heart and just gave me two tickets (expired tags and improper equip) and told me to get the car re-inspected.

The improper equip ticket states that I don't have to be in attendance at court and I can just pay the fine, but how would they know that the car was re-inspected? Any recommendations? Should I go to court with proof of the new fix or just pay the fines and fees and not worry about it?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I dunno but iof you pass inspection with the X pipe on, then it is not improper equipment and the ticket should be voided.

But, will you pass inspection with it on???

If not, then just pay the fine and have a lovely day at work instead of court.

:bash:

Vito

Broken
Established Member
even if it passes and its for "off road use only" is'nt it still improper equipment in some states?

Vilocty

Established Member
The ticket isn't too bad - $25 for the tags & $30 for the Improp Equip and of course the $30 Processing fee. Unfortunately in conservative VA, even if it passes it's still improper equip - but that goes back to the old saying " It ain't cheating unless you get caught."

I'm trying to find out from a local cop friend if I need to be present in court to prove the car has been "fixed", if I don't, I'll probably just pay the fines.

Vilocty

Established Member
Actually, I just had a great idea, unless someone already makes them - fake Catalytic Converter Covers for Off Road Exhaust!!!

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
PA has a visual inspection law...if they can't see cats on your car they won't even do an emissions test, you fail automatically...IT SUCKS!!!!

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Vilocty
Actually, I just had a great idea, unless someone already makes them - fake Catalytic Converter Covers for Off Road Exhaust!!!

That is an awesome idea! Wonder if someone has that out... Blackgeetee has the MAC Prochamber. The "prochamber" KINDA resembles a cat, at least enough that it might fool the untrained eye.

Users who are viewing this thread