Is it worth upgrading Sync 2 to 3?

01yellercobra

Established Member
So it's looks like the APIM is what's causing my issue with the seats. Since I have to get in there would it be worth upgrading to Sync 3? I've only dealt with it a couple of times in my grandma's MKX and it doesn't seem bad. But I haven't dealt with it on a daily basis.

I'd probably get something like this:

96dreamer

Established Member
I just finished updating my truck to Sync 3 about a month ago. With the newest update it is worth the upgrade in my opinion, for what I have in it at least. It is faster, less buggy and a better user interface than 2. The biggest reason I did it though is for the Android Auto which I'm using a wireless dongle for, which so far has been flawless. I did it all myself for under $500

01yellercobra

Established Member
I just finished updating my truck to Sync 3 about a month ago. With the newest update it is worth the upgrade in my opinion, for what I have in it at least. It is faster, less buggy and a better user interface than 2. The biggest reason I did it though is for the Android Auto which I'm using a wireless dongle for, which so far has been flawless. I did it all myself for under $500
I'm assuming you already had the 8" screen and sourced the module from somewhere? I have the screen already and I also have FORScan so I can program it as needed.

96dreamer

Established Member
I'm assuming you already had the 8" screen and sourced the module from somewhere? I have the screen already and I also have FORScan so I can program it as needed.
I already had the 8" screen. Unfortunately the screen is different between the two also so you'll need that. I got the screen and Apim with nav on ebay for ~$300, It was out of an escape so it had the standard screen requiring me to modify the mounts.

Other things youll need are
HC3Z-10E893-C - Aerial Assembly GPS antenna (2017 F2/350)
GL3Z-10E928-AA - Splitter Nav XM Splitter (2017 F150)
HC3Z-19A387-B - Module Interface (USB) (2017 F2/350)
GC3Z 19C149-A - Bezel (USB Trim) (Fusion)
USB hub adapter Amazon link

96dreamer

Established Member
Not bad. I have a sunroof which made it a little tougher. Pull the a pillar trim and visor screws and pull it down just enough to get to the factory bolt. New one plugged right in and used the same mounting hole. It was a little smaller so I did a quick compound on the paint to buff the old marks off.

96dreamer

Established Member

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I did it in my 2015 F150 no regrets I didn’t get nav because I didn’t have it and I use waze. But I have the latest update and it’s great for the apple car play. I bought the whole kit off a guy in f150forums great reputation watsontech of something he gives you I think a 30 day warranty it was plug and play and I didn’t have to change the XM antenna just the gps which was included in his kit too all plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
I went ahead and ordered the kit from Watson Tech. I know I could have done it cheaper searching things out, but I just wanted to get everything together so when it shows up I can jump in. I did get the Nav as I already have it and want to keep the option. Especially if I do end up selling the truck.

Which is looking more and more like I never sell it.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I went ahead and ordered the kit from Watson Tech. I know I could have done it cheaper searching things out, but I just wanted to get everything together so when it shows up I can jump in. I did get the Nav as I already have it and want to keep the option. Especially if I do end up selling the truck.

He is a great seller. To me it was easier than piecing everything together all plug and play I love it.

I recommend this kit too if you don’t have these tools.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member

Let us know how it goes.

Does two women scissoring sound like an armpit farting contest?

01yellercobra

Established Member
He is a great seller. To me it was easier than piecing everything together all plug and play I love it.

I recommend this kit too if you don’t have these tools.

My buddy has them. And I'll be bugging him to come help.

96dreamer

Established Member
That's what mine would have taken if I wasn't a moron. Fyi the heated/ cooled seats didn't work without the truck running before the conversion so don't expect them to after ‍:cautious:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm just hoping they work like they're supposed to after this. Not that I'll mind the upgrade either way. I missed my cooled seats when I was in Az last month.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The stuff finally showed up this week. The install was ridiculously easy. I didn't have to change the satellite antenna. The only addition was the GPS antenna under the dash. But it was literally remove the old module and hook up the new one.

My seats still don't work. So I'll need to dig deeper. But I had planned on doing this upgrade anyway so I'm happy with it.

Attachments

• 20230527_132125.jpg
    20230527_132125.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 45

Users who are viewing this thread