Laying Drags ticket in GA?

ABrown

Established Member
Well I left my buddies house today and shortly thereafter was pulled over for allegedly laying drag. About 60ft down from his driveway there is a blind turn. So I don't like to lolligag around when I pull out. So I start to pull out QUICKLY. I didn't launch it, dump the clutch, etc. My tires spin in the gravel at the end of his driveway (likely pushed there from the roadside when they were painting the new lanes on the road earlier today). My tires squealed for about 2 second as they crossed from the gravel to the blacktop. I accelerated to the speed limit calmly and kept driving. Long story short about a mile down the road I see a Sheriffs car bearing down on me with its lights on. I pulled over and she asked me what I was laying drag for. I said "Maam are you referring to when I left my friends driveway down the road?" and apparently she was. So she went ahead and wrote me a ticket for laying drags even after I explained to her what happened. She said I could just pay it, no court necessary. She was very professional and cordial so I have no complaints there. I am just trying to decide whether or not it would be worth it to me to try to fight it in court. I went back about a hour later and snapped some pictures of the road and my friends driveway and the blind turn with my camera. I'm thinking of fighting it because if I had really been "laying drags" surely there would be some kind of tire marks. Especially in the lanes which were still freshly painted (45mins old). Obviously there are no marks. Does anyone know how many point this citation will add to my license?

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Definately fight this in court. GA law states the car has to move in a zigzag motion unless they've changed it. I'm not a leo, but I went to court for the very same citation several years ago and beat it. Take pics and take a copy of the law with you. They want you to just pay it without a fight.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
dont pay it... never give up your money unless you really have to. fight it in court, I have fought all of mine and all the results were very good :)

STG

Banned
She actually wrote "laying drags" on the citation? Don't you think it's better to quote the actual violation and code section on your ticket?

ABrown

Established Member
Yeah, it actually says Laying Drags. The violation of code section is 40-6-251. I'm seriously considering fighting this and I wouldn't be on here wasting everyones time if I was truly guilty. I would just accept it and pay it and move on. However, since I don't feel like I did anything to warrant a citation it might be worth it to fight it. I just need to figure out how many points it will put on my license if I just pay it because I def. don't want those points!

ABrown

Established Member
BUMP

The fine is $75. I just need to know how many points this ticket constitutes because I already have 3 points. Anyone have any idea?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Pssh, I got a "laying drags" a few years back and it was $300. My insurance never increased as a result though.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
so call the number on the back of the ticket and ask them

ABrown

Established Member
I just got off the phone with them. She said she had no idea, so I figured someone on here might have an idea.

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
§ 40-6-251. Driving in circular or zigzag course; "laying drags."

(a) No driver of any motor vehicle shall operate the vehicle upon the public streets, highways, public or private driveways, airport runways, or parking lots in such a manner as to create a danger to persons or property by intentionally and unnecessarily causing the vehicle to move in a zigzag or circular course or to gyrate or spin around, except to avoid a collision or injury or damage.

(b) The offenses described in this Code section shall be sufficiently identified on any traffic ticket, warrant, accusation, or indictment when referred to as "laying drags."

(c) This Code section shall not apply to drivers operating vehicles in or on any raceway, drag strip, or similar place customarily and lawfully used for such purposes.

(d) Any person violating subsection (a) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

I hate to say it. But, if you were spinning your tires...even a little bit..on a public roadway, I would have to say the cop was correct in writting you the ticket. I personally wouldn't have written it. Actually, in VA if you do a burn out or churp your wheels...its considered WRECKLESS DRIVING. So, be happy its only a $75 fine. I'm sure she can articulate the reason why she gave you the ticket. I would say "PAY" it and go on with your life. You stated you did speed up to get to the speed limit. She probably thought you were trying to show off. I wasn't there, but whatever I went with what you said.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

roach4047

Established Member
Discuss it over with the prosecutor @ an arraignment hearing and there's a good chance he can reduce it to something that won't put points on your liscense if you cop a plea if the points are what you're most worried about.

Roach

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
I don't believe Judges or prosecutors in GA can determine points. Points (i might be wrong for GA) is determined by their Department of Motor Vehicles.

ABrown

Established Member
If I do decide to fight it I'm hoping it is reduced to a improper start citation. Which would be an accurate description of what actually happened. The car never spun around or zigzagged. As a matter of fact only my inside right wheel spun on the gravel as I was making the right hand turn onto the road. Money is just money. I don't want the points. Thanks for the info guys!

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Hopefully it will be dropped for you. Do you live IN cumming or in the burbs? The reason I ask because my ex used to live out there so I know the area kinda.

ABrown

Established Member
I live in Chattahoochee river club off of hwy 20. bout 6 miles from town. the ticket was written on kelly mill rd

jshen

Established Member
I just got off the phone with them. She said she had no idea, so I figured someone on here might have an idea.

3 points- That ticket here would cost you 300+court costs, add ons, etc.

By the way, the poster who suggested trying to negotiate your ticket into Reckless Driving?...That would increase your points to a 4 point violation and if you are under 21..you get your license suspended.

Point here? Be very careful of internet advice. Your actions did legally constitute "laying drags" here.

Last edited:

Charles Bronson

Established Member
I got a ticket for this as well, but I actually did do it 2 car lengths in front of a cop. I went to court and got out of it. I can't PM yet, but email me and I'll tell you how I did it.

Users who are viewing this thread