Moving Questions

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I have a few legal questions focused on cars when moving to another state.

Say I move from PA to VA, is there a minimum or maximum time that I need to have any vehicles inspected or registered in that new state? Same question regarding my drivers license. Do I have to live in the state for X amount of time before I can do these things?

I ask because my car is getting inspected this week and I will be moving in 3 months.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
New Virginia Residents

If you’re a new Virginia resident...

Within 60 days of moving here, you must obtain a Virginia driver’s license.

Within 30 days of moving here, you must:

Title your vehicle in Virginia.
Register your vehicle and obtain Virginia license plates.​

Prior to registering your vehicle, you must:

Obtain a Virginia safety inspection sticker. Your vehicle must pass a safety equipment state inspection and, in certain Virginia localities, your vehicle also must pass an emissions inspection.

Insure your vehicle with a company authorized to do business in Virginia. At a minimum, your insurance policy must provide the following liability insurance coverage:

$25,000 for injury or death of one person;
$50,000 for injury or death of two or more people; and
$20,000 for property damage.

Insure your Virginia-registered vehicle during the entire registration period even if it is not driven or is inoperable. If the vehicle is not insured, you must cancel the registration and return the license plates to DMV.

If your vehicle is not insured, you must pay a $500 uninsured motor vehicle fee. This does not provide insurance coverage, but allows you to register and operate the vehicle in Virginia for a one-year period.

You must also obtain a local sticker or decal if required by the city or county in which you live. Contact the commissioner of the revenue, treasurer or director of finance for the city, county or town in which you live for more information. Some localities partner with DMV and you will pay your local registration fee at the same time you obtain your state registration and license plates.

Users who are viewing this thread