Never seen this before...advice!

T0RCH3D

Established Member
How's it going guys, I need some advice here on what I should do...

IMG_2959_zps6c992417.jpg

I have a 1998 Ford Contour SVT that I bought in February of this year with 100K on the clock. Got the car cheap as a daily beater, but this car has been a nightmare. Went to do front brakes and turns out the ABS module (HCU) was shot and that wasn't a fun project to fix, let alone get parts. Then the trans cable came undone under the shifter. Now this...

...I was leaving for work in the morning, put the car in gear and proceed to take off then I hear a loud pop and immediately let off everything. I wasn't on the gas hardly at all and was in first might I add. I get out the car and see this, and then shut off the car.

IMG_1743_zps99e862e6.jpg

After work I jack up the car and proceed to check underneath to diagnose the issue and come across this:

IMG_6656_zps1bfc7d72.jpg

IMG_6414_zps777ffa52.jpg

The car doesn't goes into all gears and isn't locked out but does not move in any gear. something clearly blew it out. Anyone see anything like this before? And more importantly, its looking like a new trans, rebuild, or sell as is/scrap?

Will I get anything scrapping it or trying to sell as is?

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
A trans is in the future.
Or a part out. There are lots of SVT parts that are hard to find.

Personally, I'm very happy with using mine as a DD. Depending on how much you have into it, I wouldn't shy away from a trans swap. Might be a good chance to do a junkyard 3.0L swap at the same time while it's under the knife.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I'm assuming the differential let go, which is odd, I don't recall the diffs blowing in normal driving conditions. CSVTs are great cars, huge PITA to work on though. The nice thing is trans is like any other Contour out there minusthe flywheel.

B3NN3TT

08 Bullitt #5389
Established Member
That's almost certainly a blown differential. The spider gears crack and the chunks get wedged between the ring gear and the trans case, and that's what you get.

The differentials in these things are awful. I put a Torsen in my Cougar, and it's been tits. But you can't get them anymore.

Just drop a new used trans in there and go. Any 99+ Cougar, or any 98+ Contour or Mystique manual will drop right in.

Users who are viewing this thread