Pulled over two days in a row for Tint Violations in GA, have a few questions?

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Was pulled over yesterday by City Police and today by County Police for having 5% tint on my Vert and smoked tail light tint. The County cop said that you are not allowed to have any tint on the front wind shield accept the 3" visor, is that true? I have 35% on there right now.

He also said that he could have my car towed for been unsafe due to the tint, is that true?

I am going to pull off the tail light tint tonight as that did not cost much, but the rest did. Do I only need to pull off the 5% tint on my front windows or small rear window, and small rear seat triangular windows?

How long do I have to pull it off, do I have a grace period?

Thanks.

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
Was pulled over yesterday by City Police and today by County Police for having 5% tint on my Vert and smoked tail light tint. The County cop said that you are not allowed to have any tint on the front wind shield accept the 3" visor, is that true? I have 35% on there right now.

Top 6" or down to the AS-1 line.

He also said that he could have my car towed for been unsafe due to the tint, is that true?

Yes

I am going to pull off the tail light tint tonight as that did not cost much, but the rest did. Do I only need to pull off the 5% tint on my front windows or small rear window, and small rear seat triangular windows?

How long do I have to pull it off, do I have a grace period?

Thanks.

To be legal, your tint must allow more than 35% light transmission on all windows. The windshield can have no tint other than the top 6". If you want to be legal, you're going to need to remove all of your tint.

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Jeez!! I was surprised he noticed the front because the cop that handed out all the tickets yesterday did not say anything about that.

Anyone have any idea how long a grace period you get to take care of it?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Jeez!! I was surprised he noticed the front because the cop that handed out all the tickets yesterday did not say anything about that.

Anyone have any idea how long a grace period you get to take care of it?

It isnt a fix it ticket. As long as it is on the car you are subject to being ticketed. In other words, there is no grace period.

SVTRocket

SVT Fan
Established Member
5% is too dark for sure. Check the article and link below for further Also check with your local window tinting shop as they should have the laws on hand. They usually have you sign a waiver if you request illegal tint

http://dps.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,5635600_76738471_39267808,00.html

House Bill Restores Georgia's Window Tint Law

GEORGIA STATE PATROL

NEWS RELEASE

May 6, 2005

HOUSE BILL RESTORES GEORGIA’S WINDOW TINT LAW

(ATLANTA) - Governor Sonny Perdue has signed House Bill 20 which reinstates Georgia's window tint law on motor vehicles. Colonel Bill Hitchens, commander of the Georgia State Patrol, said the law became effective Monday, May 2, with the signature of Governor Perdue. The Georgia State Patrol will be issuing educational warnings during the month of May. He said troopers will begin issuing citations on June 1.

Georgia's window tinting law was struck down as unconstitutional last year because the provisions applied only to vehicles registered in Georgia. "House Bill 20 corrected the language so the law applies to all vehicles, whether registered in Georgia or another state," Colonel Hitchens said. "The window tint law is a safety issue, not only for law enforcement officers as they approach a vehicle during a traffic stop, but also for drivers so they can better see approaching vehicles while they drive."

The law allows for the same light transmission standards as the previous law. It is now illegal for window tinting material to be applied to the rear, side and door windows of motor vehicles that does not allow for more than 32 percent of light transmission (plus or minus three percent). It is also illegal for materials to be applied to the windows that increase the level of light reflected to more than 20 percent. Additionally, except for the top six inches of the windshield, no material or glazing can be applied that would reduce the light transmission through the windshield.

Among the exemptions to the window tint law are: adjustable sun visors not attached to the glass; signs or stickers displayed in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the passenger side of the windshield or in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the driver's side of the windshield; law enforcement vehicles; and any federal, state or local sticker or certificate which is required by law to be placed on any windshield or window. Also exempted under the law are the rear windshields and side windows, except the windows to the left and right of the driver, on multipurpose passengers vehicles; school buses and buses used for public transportation; buses and vans owned or leased by any religious or non-profit organization; limousines; and any other vehicle where the windows or windshields have been tinted or darkened before factory delivery or permitted by federal law or regulation.

Violation of the law by either driving a vehicle with illegal window tint or installing the illegal material is a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine up to $1,000 and/or up to 12 months imprisonment.

-30-

Last edited:

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
5% is too dark for sure. Check the article and link below for further Also check with your local window tinting shop as they should have the laws on hand. They usually have you sign a waiver if you request illegal tint

georgia.gov - House Bill Restores Georgia's Window Tint Law

House Bill Restores Georgia's Window Tint Law

GEORGIA STATE PATROL

NEWS RELEASE

May 6, 2005

HOUSE BILL RESTORES GEORGIA’S WINDOW TINT LAW

(ATLANTA) - Governor Sonny Perdue has signed House Bill 20 which reinstates Georgia's window tint law on motor vehicles. Colonel Bill Hitchens, commander of the Georgia State Patrol, said the law became effective Monday, May 2, with the signature of Governor Perdue. The Georgia State Patrol will be issuing educational warnings during the month of May. He said troopers will begin issuing citations on June 1.

Georgia's window tinting law was struck down as unconstitutional last year because the provisions applied only to vehicles registered in Georgia. "House Bill 20 corrected the language so the law applies to all vehicles, whether registered in Georgia or another state," Colonel Hitchens said. "The window tint law is a safety issue, not only for law enforcement officers as they approach a vehicle during a traffic stop, but also for drivers so they can better see approaching vehicles while they drive."

The law allows for the same light transmission standards as the previous law. It is now illegal for window tinting material to be applied to the rear, side and door windows of motor vehicles that does not allow for more than 32 percent of light transmission (plus or minus three percent). It is also illegal for materials to be applied to the windows that increase the level of light reflected to more than 20 percent. Additionally, except for the top six inches of the windshield, no material or glazing can be applied that would reduce the light transmission through the windshield.

Among the exemptions to the window tint law are: adjustable sun visors not attached to the glass; signs or stickers displayed in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the passenger side of the windshield or in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the driver's side of the windshield; law enforcement vehicles; and any federal, state or local sticker or certificate which is required by law to be placed on any windshield or window. Also exempted under the law are the rear windshields and side windows, except the windows to the left and right of the driver, on multipurpose passengers vehicles; school buses and buses used for public transportation; buses and vans owned or leased by any religious or non-profit organization; limousines; and any other vehicle where the windows or windshields have been tinted or darkened before factory delivery or permitted by federal law or regulation.

Violation of the law by either driving a vehicle with illegal window tint or installing the illegal material is a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine up to $1,000 and/or up to 12 months imprisonment.

-30-

so...wait....they are trying to enforce tint laws on vehicles registered in other states?

I cant see how a vehicle that is perfectly legal in one state, can drive into another, and get a ticket (a ticket that will hold up in court, at least...)

and to the OP, i am pretty sure having tint on the entire front windshield is illegal in all states.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
so...wait....they are trying to enforce tint laws on vehicles registered in other states?
yes they are and there are plenty of reasons to. Military for example stationed in Georgia were not covered by the old law. they are covered under the new law. college pukes who register their cars under their daddys name in another state so they can get around some of the laws of the state where they go to college are another example.

I cant see how a vehicle that is perfectly legal in one state, can drive into another, and get a ticket (a ticket that will hold up in court, at least...)
You are responsible for complying with the state laws you are driving through, so yes you could get stopped. if you explain that you are just passing through they will, most likely, let you go without a ticket. give them attitude they will give you a ticket that will hold up in court just because you were an ass.
and to the OP, i am pretty sure having tint on the entire front windshield is illegal in all states.
and you would be partially correct. some states allow for a medical exception. I googled tint laws and apparently North Dakota is the only exception, there you can have tint on the windshield as long as it allows 70% light transmittance .

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

Each state has the right to promulgate laws as they see fit, even if in contravention to another state's law. You and your vehicle are subject to the laws of the state you are traveling in. However, every state must give full faith and credit to another state's registration and driver's license law. For instance if a 16 year old has a license in Florida they can drive in NJ, even though a person must be 17 to obtain a license there. Also, Florida requires only one license plate, while NJ requires two, a Florida registered vehicle cannot be ticketed for not having two plates while driving through NJ.

Therefore, if you violate the tint law of the state you are in, you could be ticketed.

Nickyoobatz

Established Member
You are responsible for complying with the state laws you are driving through, so yes you could get stopped. if you explain that you are just passing through they will, most likely, let you go without a ticket. give them attitude they will give you a ticket that will hold up in court just because you were an ass.

This. I drove from NJ to Florida, and got stopped in Georgia. I have 15% all around, and told him I was on my way home, all he gave me was a warning.

Users who are viewing this thread