Speeding ticket reduced to defective speedometer

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If anyone has an answer to my question I figure they will be in here.

Earlier this summer I got pulled over for 15 over in a 45 zone, 4 points. Yes I really was going that fast, but in my defense, as little as a year ago, that 45 zone was a 55 zone. Not an excuse, but still a legitimate reason.

The village attorney was somewhat sympathetic and noticed my previously good driving record and that I didn't give the officer a hard time. He, reduced the citation to a defective speedometer, WI State Statute 347.41, 2 points and carrying a $145.50 fine, about $30 higher than the original ticket. I had the option to keep the fine the same but get a 9 mph over speeding ticket. I decided to take the slightly higher fine to get the defective speedometer ticket.

My questions is...will an insurance company look more favorably on an "equipment violation" than a "moving violation"? Will my rates go up at all for the defective speedometer ticket?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
I'm in PA, but my experience has been that only moving violations will cause your insurance to increase. Out here a common reduction is from a speeding ticket to "failure to obey a traffic control device". The latter having no points, but a higher fine, and does not increase insurance.

CoreyHM1

Established Member
so you got two points?

I had a 80 in a 65 in NC, my speedo really was off (tuner put wrong settings in the tune, granted i should have taken the hint and went with the flow of traffic) got it fixed, dropped to improper equipment and paid $120 and thats was it. no points

different state, different laws i guess

Users who are viewing this thread