stolen identety! need advice.

i8u

Established Member
We have recently found that someone is using my brothers soc. security number. I assume because they have bad credit and he doesn't. We found this out when he was moving into his apartment and the electric company wouln'd turn on his power. They told him to fax a copy of his drivers lisence and social card to them to prove it really was his number and they would turn on the power. After doing so they still won't turn on his power. The company gave us the name off the guy who is using his number along with his address. But that is all they would do. The police say they can't do anything because no crime has been commited. I don't understand how this is not a crime. The landlord had the power turned on under his name for the time being. What can he do?:shrug:

Last edited:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Contact your local Social Security office, and the district attorney for your county, if someone else is using his soc.sec. number it is a crime, some smaller departments just don't know how to deal with it. It could also be a foul up with the social security system, I read where it occasionally happens, and it's a pain to get fixed.

i8u

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. The social security office said " It's not their problem" I don't understand how it's not thier problem.
I will let ya know what comes out of this. Hopefully just a mistake like you said.:shrug:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Lemme ask around at work tonight and see if there is anyone else you should get in touch with too, I'll get back to you. Sounds like everyone wants to pass the buck on this and someone needs to do their job.

Ginsu

Established Member
Originally posted by hillie16
Sounds like everyone wants to pass the buck on this and someone needs to do their job.

Sounds like that to me as well! Honestly I have never dealt with that and do not really know who you should talk to.

But what your brother should do now, if he has not already, is contact the major credit reporting agencies and file a fraud report with them. That way if anyone tries to his SSN he will be contacted first. Also he will get an up to date credit report so he can see if there is anything new on it.

Now it will be kind of a pain in the ass when he tries to buy something on credit for awhile because he will have to go home wait for a call to verify who he is and then go back to the store....

I have been through part of this, I lost my wallet with all my info but I did it anyway. But it is worth it so he will not have to deal with his credit being destroyed and then trying to get it fixed.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I can tell you that I have dealt with this before on a professional level. I agree wholeheartedly with Hillie and Rob, it is a bitch to clear up once it goes too far.

The electric company gave you the name of the person and address who is using his SSN? Does you brother know this guy. But the guy isnt using your brothers Name of DOB?

If that is the case, this isnt identity fraud. He is doing what a lot people do with the electric company and phone company. They use a made up SSN to restore service, because their service was shut off due to prior outstanding balances. Since people have the same name, those companies use the SSN to track people. Since he is using his own name and not trying to gain credit or start debt in your brothers name, he will claim it was an error on the companies part, because they have his correct name and address.

But, you should contact the State Attorney Generals office, division of Fraud Prosecuter. In cases of true ID fraud they will handle it and if it involves the internet or crosses the state lines it is left up to the Bureau.

Good Luck

Hulk.

PS, you can always drive over there and visit the guy and have a nice peaceful discussion with him on the "ills" of using someone elses SSN:)

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan

But, you should contact the State Attorney Generals office, division of Fraud Prosecuter. In cases of true ID fraud they will handle it and if it involves the internet or crosses the state lines it is left up to the Bureau.

That's what I was told too, sounds like good advice to me!

key2you

Established Member
just to let you know if he is using your name and ss# and it's over state line contact secret service they deal with situations that are in different states.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Actually you would contact your State A.G.'s office and they would in turn contact the F.B.I.

Secret Service doesnt deal with that. They fall under the dept of the Treasury and not the Dept of Justice.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Actually you would contact your State A.G.'s office and they would in turn contact the F.B.I.

Secret Service doesnt deal with that. They fall under the dept of the Treasury and not the Dept of Justice.
Yep thats what the detective told me, its a federal offense and only the FBI is supposed to handle that,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Users who are viewing this thread