What's the deal?

BlackDeathT/A

Established Member
First off, let me introduce myself. I am the driver of a 2001 M6 T/A (Trans Am for the uneducated). I had a cop call my parents because i revved my engine, stopped, in a parking lot (non-covered), with nobody else around except a few girls and me and my friend. What is up with that? He said something along the lines of "It's all fun and games, but what would have happened if you had threw a piston just then!". I had to restrain myself from laughing How often do stock engine cars throw pistons by revving? Just once mind you! My question for the cops out there is this, why would he get so upset about me revving, and not moving, in an area of the parking lot where there are no cars? From what he told my parents over the phone, they thought i was doing crazy smoking donuts or something!:shrug: ! That is what really angered me:fm: . It was totally uncalled for, from my point of view. I'd appreciate it if yall could shed some light on this nonsense.

Zig'sbird

Established Member
Would you have done that with your parents in the car?

Maybe he just wanted them to know how you are treating the car, besides the way you are acting. :shrug:

BlackDeathT/A

Established Member
Zig may be right? It's the only explanation i could posibly think of? But my parents are aware i race the car, my dad goes with with me on friday nights to the raceway. It's just nonsense! nonsense!:bash:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by BlackDeathT/A
But my parents are aware i race the car, my dad goes with with me on friday nights to the raceway.

The officer doesn't know that though, he may have thought it was your dads car. Maybe he thought he was doing your dad a favor, one of those "Tell your kid to behave with your car/Do you know how he treats your baby? /I'll tell you and let you deal with him instead of giving him a ticket" kinda deals...:shrug:

BlackDeathT/A

Established Member
yeah, that could be it as well. it probably was? Yes. But oh well, stuff like that happens now and then when u drive a fast car that attracts attention.:burnout:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
The explanation is simple...some cops are just a bit overzealous. You drive a high profile car and you're going to get heat for it ever so often. Just expect it.

Heck, I'm a mature, married 30 year old and I had a city cop come flying up on my tail one afternoon last year while my wife and I were coming home through a neighboring town in our stock 99 GT (previous car). At the next light, he pulls alongside and informs me that I was doing 68mph in a 45 zone. :dw: I told him politely that I wasn't. Light turns green and he floors it, hits the grassy median, does a U turn and floors it again.
First of all, I knew and my wife knew I wasn't driving 23mph over the speed limit. Second, I saw him in my rearview enter the highway down an off ramp about a 1/2 mile back and I had my V1 on the windshield until he got within about an 1/4 mile behind me. When he seemed to be singling me out, I took it down and stashed it under the passenger seat, but left it plugged in. He never clocked me, until he was riding my bumper so close I could see the Crown Vics grille under under my spoiler!
It was a false accusation, pure and simple. Besides, I doubt any cop in his situation would let someone go with a verbal warning speeding 23mph over the limit in the city limits.
Two things can be taken from this. Driving the wrong type of car automatically will get you stereotyped in some situations and there are a few cops out there who don't mind harrassing you. Plus, if you did rev the engine within earshot, then you have only encouraged him in believing what he wants to believe.
You'd better watch out. If this was a local officer, he'll be keeping his eye out for ya! Just remember it comes with the territory.

BlackDeathT/A

Established Member
Originally posted by Traveler
The explanation is simple...some cops are just a bit overzealous. You drive a high profile car and you're going to get heat for it ever so often. Just expect it.

Yep. That's just how it is i guess. Well poo.:bored:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Were you actually charged with breaking any law? Were you issued a citation? If NO and NO, I personally would advise a visit to the officer's superior (with your parents), advising that you are contemplating action for harassment. I did that a few years back when I was singled out by an overzealous Pennsylvania State Trooper, who figured that because I wore proper cycling attire (leather jacket and boots that gave ankle support) I was a motorcycle hoodlum. He kept giving me "warnings" on my way to work, which would have required my attendance a driver's school. My parents and I visited his captain, and the harassment stopped then and there.

I have great respect for law enforcement, they take a lot of crap from the public. But don't lay down and let yourself be unfairly picked on.

OSUMASON

Established Member
Obviously SOMEBODY was around. I you feel the need to rev your engine go out in the country, because I'm, sure it was more than 1 time. How do you know that somebody in a house around there did not call and complain? And your coming down on the guy for calling your house, that sounds pretty fair, no ticket, no visit in person.
As far as harrasment, I really don't think this qualifies.

It's not usually the car that attracts attention, it's the way they are driven, IN TOWN AND IN TRAFFIC!

Users who are viewing this thread