Your opinion on those SVT problems

Devileyes

Established Member
Hey, i am new in this SVT world. I bought a CSVT 98 few months ago and i need your help on few problems that i have :
1-Lack of power, i tested it on the quarter mile and got beated my a civic dx stock. I made it in 18 sec. There is no weird sound and the engine turn great.
2-A lot of heat in coming out just under the steering wheel.
3-I see the cel and ill have the code information by tomorrow.
4-over 80mph, i can feel vibration in the steering wheel.

all help and opinion are appreciate. Sorry for some english grammar and syntax problems.

beyondloadedSE

Established Member
SVT should be able to pull a mid 15 second pass stock without a problem and good driver. What was your 60' and trap speed?

Ive never noticed any heat coming out from underneath the steering wheel in my car and several other contours. :shrug:

CEL is probably a rich/lean code. Pretty common. Just about everyone that dynoed at SZ 06 without a tune, pegged the wideband rich after about 5,000 rpms and stayed that way up to redline.

Vibration is probably either an alignment issue, wheel bearing, or an improperly balanced wheel.

beyondloadedSE

Established Member
Devileyes said:
i made 1/8 in 10.235sec and react time of 0.34sec

it has a real lack of power, i have no idea what to check first....

60' time...not reaction time. reaction time has nothing to do with your 1/4 mile time. :p

Devileyes

Established Member
beyondloadedSE said:
60' time...not reaction time. reaction time has nothing to do with your 1/4 mile time. :p

hum, i dont remember that time...
i received a call from the dealer and he said that the CEL was because of one of the o2 sensor, but he doesn't think that has anything to do with my lack of power.

captainoblivious

Slow Vehicles in Training
Established Member
Go to Autozone where they can scan the CEL for free (or is Advance Auto)?

Also find out your 60' time. Launching and your 60' have so much to do with running a good number.

And yes, I have alot of heat coming out from the under the steering wheel on mine. I've noticed this on a few cars I've owned.

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that your secondaries aren't opening. This would cause a large powerloss in the top end, but you would think it was running fine if you didnt know about them. You should feel them open up around 4000 rpm. Its a pretty noticable power gain.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Changes the engine tone alot too. Without them it sounds like the old taurus vulcan 3.0.

Devileyes

Established Member
Jason43 said:
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that your secondaries aren't opening. This would cause a large powerloss in the top end, but you would think it was running fine if you didnt know about them. You should feel them open up around 4000 rpm. Its a pretty noticable power gain.

i have to admit that i dont know a lot about them, but yes after 3500rpm it's more powerful but not a big big difference. I dont know if the engine is related to ABS system, because i dont the owner before me had it unplug...
Sorry for the stupid question but what is my secondaries?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
10.2 in the 1/8th is about right.

A CEL should affect power output of the car and gas mileage too.

Vibration, as said, is probably wheel balancing issue or alignment.

Devileyes

Established Member
OK, now the Cel is off, but still no power. So anyone have ideas on explanation about a lack of power and with the cel off. Even on the highway at 120, when i put it in 3rd gear it takes forever to get to 140-150. People said that over 3500rpm i should feel a stronger acceleration, which i dont. Like i said, a civic Dx can pass me easily either between 2 stops or on the highway. Help me out please.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
LOL. 140-150mph is slow? No shit sherlock....seeing how the cars are 'drag limited' to 143 (stock).

Check the IMRC if you haven't already. If you don't know what that is search in here and you should find something.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
LOL. 140-150mph is slow? No shit sherlock....seeing how the cars are 'drag limited' to 143 (stock).

Check the IMRC if you haven't already. If you don't know what that is search in here and you should find something.

canadians use kph.

Devileyes said:
OK, now the Cel is off, but still no power. So anyone have ideas on explanation about a lack of power and with the cel off. Even on the highway at 120, when i put it in 3rd gear it takes forever to get to 140-150. People said that over 3500rpm i should feel a stronger acceleration, which i dont. Like i said, a civic Dx can pass me easily either between 2 stops or on the highway. Help me out please.

What are you doing at 120mph on the highway, let alone going for 140-150? Guys like you should have their license taken away before you kill someone. :cuss: Take it to the track if you want to do an onboard diagnostic at 120mph.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
140 kph = 86.9919669 mph
150 kph = 93.2056788 mph

Yep IMRC. Either its stuck open, or the actuator lever has dislodged itself from the actuator switch (its a small piece of white nylon plastic that holds the lever in the switch hole) and its a bugger of a part to describe to the parts desk guy, and even more of a bugger to install.

Users who are viewing this thread