Let's see those Latest Purchases!

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I used it through out the house a few years ago, and it's held up great. I'm going to use it again in the back 3 spare bedrooms soon after I retire. I did it myself, but I've done flooring before.
Good to hear. I've heard good things about it from a neighbor who has installed some of it. I'm doing a remodel and want to use this type of flooring, looks good seems to be tough. Just need to decide on what brand and how much I want to spend per sqft.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
the deck at our place in NC has gone to shit, might have to redo it with this but it'll be a year or two. We just spent a mint getting the basement (red clay) all sealed up, the humidity under the house was causing all kinds of issues. Replacing some of the rotten wood trim and staining the place is another huge chunk.
Priorities are just that. You can at least consider/price a vinyl deck when the time comes for a replacement. (y) It does have real advantages.

That looks great.
Thanks my brother.
Back to the outside of the house again? OK here goes...
That does look very nice. The border board is a great touch, the drink rail and balusters are great.
Now let's look at what my neighbor is in the process of doing to her deck. The "builder" is another neighbor not in the construction business. No permit = no inspection = you will die going to her house for a cookout.
Ha! Yeah, my next door neighbor re-did his deck last summer, without a permit. A local "handy man" shop did it. It was comical watching them multiple times stop what they were doing to try to figure out what to do next, and how. My deck builder (who did get a permit) pointed out multiple issues with the next door deck, including skinny 4X4 posts, no joist flashing tape, stairs that aren't to code, and issues with the sub-structure integrity. I'm sure that there are other issues with the build that my builder couldn't notice from a distance. I'll have to post a photo of my own sub-structure. One thing my builder did was put some type of black flashing tape (thicker than a traditional flashing tape) between the joists and beams. To help eliminate moisture between the joists/beams. My last deck didn't have this flashing and the wood rotten really bad after about 10 years.

Later this summer I have to seal or stain (semi-transparent) the vertical posts to protect the wood. I'm reading that I should seal any exposed wood from the weather (ie. vertical posts), but not the underside of my deck. I'm reading that the wood should be able to breathe and release moisture. Sealant or paint could trap water in the fibers. I'll research this some more since I'm not planning on touching the wood for at least 2 months. Maybe 3.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs

GM Nitemare

Established Member
Priorities are just that. You can at least consider/price a vinyl deck when the time comes for a replacement. (y) It does have real advantages.

Thanks my brother.

Ha! Yeah, my next door neighbor re-did his deck last summer, without a permit. A local "handy man" shop did it. It was comical watching them multiple times stop what they were doing to try to figure out what to do next, and how. My deck builder (who did get a permit) pointed out multiple issues with the next door deck, including skinny 4X4 posts, no joist flashing tape, stairs that aren't to code, and issues with the sub-structure integrity. I'm sure that there are other issues with the build that my builder couldn't notice from a distance. I'll have to post a photo of my own sub-structure. One thing my builder did was put some type of black flashing tape (thicker than a traditional flashing tape) between the joists and beams. To help eliminate moisture between the joists/beams. My last deck didn't have this flashing and the wood rotten really bad after about 10 years.

Later this summer I have to seal or stain (semi-transparent) the vertical posts to protect the wood. I'm reading that I should seal any exposed wood from the weather (ie. vertical posts), but not the underside of my deck. I'm reading that the wood should be able to breathe and release moisture. Sealant or paint could trap water in the fibers. I'll research this some more since I'm not planning on touching the wood for at least 2 months. Maybe 3.
You should be using treated lumber for your outside wood projects. My front porch is 28 years old. I used pressure treated wood on 100% of it. I've never had to replace any boards, spindles or railing since.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
You should be using treated lumber for your outside wood projects. My front porch is 28 years old. I used pressure treated wood on 100% of it. I've never had to replace any boards, spindles or railing since.

I bet pressure treated you buy today won't hold up like what you've got sadly

Dusten

Established Member
Ok. Actual pics. Also included is a 39 yr old walk behind I just bought

1000016079.jpg

1000016078.jpg

SilverStreak02

Established Member
So how do you like it?
Actually I love it. I purposely went into it with low expectations and it has surprised me. Rides and handles great! It’s the first non-V8 I’ve owned in over three years but it’s quick enough.

Users who are viewing this thread