Taller versus shorter tires - what is the effect?

bFoxGt500

Established Member
I've been running my 255/45/18 Goodyear F1 KRs for the last year on the track (on 18 x9.5 wheels). I run 'em on all fours. I've worn them out and need new (and better) tires. I am looking at some 275/35/18 or 275/40/18 tires. I want a 'Y" rated tire. These two have the same section and tread widths but one is 25.7" tall and the other is 26.7" tall. I like the idea of the taller tire, but it is 'W' rated. Is there an advantange/disadvantage to one versus the other? Thanks for your opinion.

dmichaels

Established Member
I would say it is also dependent on your gears. I have 3.73's and my 5th gear redlined at about 142-144 mph (indicated). A taller tire would give a little more actual speed in each gear, which I would prefer due to my shorter gearing. If I had 3.55's I might opt for slightly smaller diameter tires. Also largely depends on the tracks you run at.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Thanks for the opinions guys. The OE tires are 27" so I was a bit afraid of going to a tire an inch smaller but pulled the trigger on aome Hankook RS-3 285/35/18 because I got em for a pretty good price. They are 25.7" or so but a they do have a nice wide patch. I wanted Y rated so I could use them for the Texas mile because they gave me some grief with my W rated tires in the spring (never get close to 168 on the road course LOL). Turns out it didn't matter because I only got to 170 mph. I need taller tires for the mile anyway, so we'll see what happens there. I hope I am happy with them on the road course. I drive to and from so everything is a bit of a compromise.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Lets not forget that tires are de-facto springs as well and their sidewall height can effect handling, so can they effect weight distribution when going from a staggerd to a square set up.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
I believe the stock tires on my 08 GT500 are 27" f/r. They are staggered but the same overall length. I've been running a square setup, not so much for the supposed 'neutral' handling but so I can rotate all four tires adn keep my costs down. If I switch to these smaller diameter tires, I'll still keep the square setup adn the load rating is OK, I believe. Besides the smaller tires, I'll also be going with a wider tire than I"ve used in the past adn that's going to change things - just don't know how much!

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Just thought of another question - will i have to adjust anything beside the tune to input the tire diameter; i.e., pinion angle, LCA?

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I'm thinking the pinion angle should be the same so I would say "no" at first blush, if the tire diameter is close I wouldn't worry about it. Again, it's changing the spring rate so don't be surprised if you have to change something, but you'll have to drive it find out.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Thanks blacksheep. Once I get them on the wheels, I will be bringing the car in for an alignment and will try to find a good shop who can check the things out. I don;t have another track sessin scheduled / confirmed until August, :( to try things out ( I'll have to try harderd to get back on the track).

Users who are viewing this thread