Previous Terminator Owners Who Now Own a 2011 GT

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm working on an article for the site comparing the two cars. If you have owned both and would care to share your experiences and opinions I may be able to include them in the articel. Feel free to use whatever basis you wish for your comments. The article will cover both stock and modded cars so if you want to talk about mods then go for it. The only thing that I ask is that you give your honest opinion on the two cars.

:beer:

Entrenched

Established Member
Cobra and GT

I have both and each is a great car in its own way.

The Cobra represents an achievable iconic car with limitless potential. My GT makes me feel on the cutting edge of the mustang world.

The common ground is that both respond amazingly to mods and each has pushed the mustang envelope to new levels (and put the Camaro in its place).

mike5876

Established Member
ive had both and i can say when they were stock i like the new gt 5.0 better the modded 03 with a kenne bell was a blast

i also owned up till 9 months ago one of the baddest gt500's in the country 1046 RWHP im going the turbo route on this car also and i have a feeling im going to like the 2011 GT better than the shelby

i got a phone call yesterday from my friend that bought my gt500 he told me he had just got a ride in a 2011 with a tune,exhaust , and an intake
he said he could believe how impressed he was with the 2011 and would sell the shelby for one of these!

vadorsnake04

Established Member
subscribing, seeing as how we own an 04 cobra and are talking about buying either a new GT500 or GT very very soon in addition.

Grant808

Established Member
Currently, I'm keeping both cars, and note that both are stock except for mufflers on the Cobra. The '03 is a convertible, and the '11 GT is a coupe. Another poster suggested that the new GT made his terminator feel 'like a caveman'. And I have to agree. Enough so, that I've been plagiarizing that description when people ask me about the differences in person.

For those considering both cars, I think if money is an issue, the terminator is currently a better value for the performance including the cost and efficiency of mods. If you're leaning towards a terminator, don't drive a 5.0! But money aside, and including all the newer creature comforts like Sync and bluetooth connectivity...I have to say that I'm way happier about owning and daily driving the GT.

The power delivery from the coyote is awesome, if not simply confidence inspiring. Even though I'm not a great driver, I feel that I can easily push the terminator to its limits...with judicious use of counter-steer. At the limits of my skill and comfort, I think the GT is just waiting for me to push her further, harder. Shifter feel is much crisper and position/reach are more comfortable/normal in the '11. I feel like I 'command' the Terminator and 'ask' the GT...yet the GT delivers more.

I've never owned one of the '05-'09 cars so the newer interior is much appreciated...especially over the way, way outdated '94-'04 interior. (Wasn't a fan of plasticky '05-'09 base models/rentals or the A/C vent style) I'm not a large person, so I do like the terminator seats better for adjustability/fit and support when cornering. Yet I prefer the look, feel, and detailing of the 401A option seats better. While I kept the Cobra interior stock, I prefer the look of my '00 GT dash/console which has Bullitt and misc billet accessories to dress up the interior. I don't feel that I have to *do* anything to the new interior, well, except for replacing the stupid vanity mirror covers. For those who haven't noticed, it's a mock-up of our 'power dome' hood. Ugh. A useless detail that pushes the visor to hang lower than it should sit.

I'm not missing the IRS in the GT. Anybody knocking the live axle hasn't pushed these two cars, and made their comments based on reality. Only on crappy roads, V-gutters, and speed bumps, do I prefer the IRS. The new car is much more predictable and handles incredibly...just note that's with the Brembo/Pzero option.

I am a little more comfortable with the smaller body size of the '03...just fits me better and feels more like a sports car. The '11 almost feels too big for me, but with as I get used to driving, and parking a larger car, the difference is becoming less noticeable. (though I do have to wonder what a beast somebody would make if they swapped a coyote into a SN95 or better yet a fox)

And since I was considering a '10 or '11 GT500, I'll throw in that I prefer the new GT against those two also...though test drives don't neccesarily provide a fair comparison. I may have to rethink that position if or when Ford moves to a coyote based GT500.

Blue03

Established Member
I own both cars and purchased both new. My 2003 SB Cobra has a short list of mods: tune/pulley/drop in filter/full magnaflow exhaust w/cats. Dyno'd at 458rwhp/460rwtq. I ran the car stock for 1 trip to the track and went [email protected] w/2.25 60ft; modified [email protected] w 1.97 60ft. I paid $33,007 OTD for it.

My 2011 Kona 5.0GT is an automatic and currently has these mods: Tune/CAI/Borla mufflers/Aluminum D-shaft. Haven't dyno'ed it yet. Ran it stock and managed a [email protected] w/2.08 60 ft. Car is noticeably faster now(maybe 12.40/50@112 or so) but have not had the chance to test with the mods. I paid $32,560 OTD for it.

I have checked MPG in both cars on a straight freeway run @65mph. Cobra/23.5mpg and 5.0/27.5mpg. Weight on a certified scale was: Cobra/3660; GT/3680

Driving experience: The Cobra feels more "raw", the iron fist with no glove where as the GT feels refined and smoother. Even though the Cobra has IRS I would say the GT is a slightly better handler. Ride quality feels about the same to me in both cars. I do feel the Cobra will always have the bolt on edge for less just because of the blower and the fact that entire bottom end is forged not just the crank(will take more HP). I love driving them both and feel lucky to have been able to buy them. These are 2 cars that will stay with me for awhile.

To pick one over the other depends on what you value most; the new GT is definitely easier to live with while the Cobra will engage the driver a bit more and has the edge on power with bolt ons. It's amazing how close these cars are in as delivered form. A lot of progress has been made in the last 7 years for sure.

Last edited:

oneof185

Established Member
Grant and Blue, good write-ups! I too have owned both and these are good details about the cars. I have sold my 04 and love the new '11 GT I have. I will say, my next car will again be another Terminator, Comp Orange. Not as a replacement for the GT but as an addition. That will be a couple years down the road however.

redline

Established Member
i have had a 03 cobra and i own 2011 gt now .son has my 03 now .when i had the 03. i put whipple and stage 3 cams in it.the car is a blast to drive.now to the 2011 gt. it feels easier to manuever.as far as performance hmmm headers and cams later on .:beer:

9900blueoval

Established Member
ive owned a 03 term. and now a 09 gt 500 and between those 2 and u might think im crazy ,but I TRUELY TRUELY miss the 03!!dont get me wrong the 500 is great but i cant stand the linkage type shifter!! TO ME IT SUCKS! the 03 had the direct bolt on shifter to the trans which felt more raw,and a better driver feel!! Now for the 2011 i guess they have the same kind of linkage for the shifter to trans but the potential for the car is amazing!! i'm actually thinking of offin the 500 for the 2011!!! the car is just super and thats from just reading about it,and seeing it on lots and on the road

ViciousJay

Established Member
after owning both it comes down to the driver.

The pro's of owning the cobra are, easy, cheap, bolt on power with a built block and rail handing suspension. This car was the last of the of the blue collared worker's car.

The con's were it was a demon gas guzzling whore, other then that the cobra had minor issues with crappy 10 spline input shafts, frps issues and a mod bug that had a bigger bite to peoples wallets then a gold digging big tittied blonde

all in all the car is memerible to those who owned one, or can remember hearing one screaming down the road. I have to say it was the best car ive ever owned and i will again own another someday.

Now on to the 2011 GT. This is another animal in its own with great power band from start to finish. I have yet to find a weak point in the N/A department except for the minor expensive aftermarket and small list of parts. The 2011 handling and track is very nice but in my eyes still doesnt compete with a IRS car ( most will say it can be but the over all feel of the electric steering makes me feel otherwise.)

the pro's and con's are simple much like the cobra where the gas can kill you if you have a lead foot and the mod bug can bite but the lack of parts and driven up prices really scares off the new age s197 owner into waitin' a few years for things to come down.

all in all both cars are a must own, with good drivers both can see 11's quickly and reasonably in 1.21 jigga watts....

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
having not owned either. i can tell all you guys that have owned both, that im jealous. but im looking to get a 2011 .when i get back to the states for good.

Blue03

Established Member
Here is a pic of my '03 and '11 together at the dealer when I picked the '11 up. SID297, I think your idea of doing a write up on these cars is great. I definitely would like to read it when it's completed.

attachment.php

YELL03

Established Member
I've owned two 03 Cobras....

My 1st one was a Yellow coupe (the original yell03)
Mods were 2.8 pulley, cai, mail order tune, DRs and a catback.
It made 445rwhp and ran [email protected] on a 1.93 60'

This car most reminds me of my new 5.0.
Simple bolt-ons, under $1500 and they both will make huge power and run low 12s with ease in the hands of an average driver, 11s with more aggressive drivers.
This is why the 03 Cobra was so famous IMHO

My new 5.0 is an automatic and I have not picked out my mods yet.
My bet will be a mail order tune, cai, and axleback for sound.
I'll bet it runs similar times to the 445rwhp 03 Cobra, but on Street radials instead of DRs.

My 2nd 03 Cobra was basically the same as the first, but this car had a Ported blower and made 492rwhp.
It ran [email protected] on a 1.85 60'

Again, very similar to the new 5.0s with a couple minor mods in addition to the cai and tune.
Add a midpipe & gears and you will see very similar times.

As for the feel of both cars....

Here is the HUGE difference.

The 03 Cobra was pure muscle car.
Stiff clutch, a very heavy feeling car for such a small car, and a very spartan interior.
My recent 2003 Mach 1 felt similar, but with alot less power.

The 2011 although MUCH larger, feels so much lighter.
The acceleration is different too.
The 2011 feels effortless to accelerate.
The 2003 felt like it had to work to get moving, but move it did and violently delivered its power when needed. It took talent to drive the 03.
The 2011 feels like anybody can drive it.

I think the 2011 is made for some of us older guys, I'm 46, that have battle scars, bad backs, and other ailments that prevent us from daily driving our beloved 03 Cobras anymore.

I can get in my 2011 GT automatic, put it in drive, and run with the guy in the 03 Cobra while listening to my Satellite radio, sitting in my comfy leather seats, using my bluetooth to talk on the phone, and being surrounded in a much nicer interior.

Most important to me, it is a Stang.
I've only had mine for 5 days now and have not driven it enough yet, but...

Let me tell you this....

I've had a C6 Z06s, C6 Vettes, AMGs, Viper GTS, Porsche 911, Z28, Trans Ams, and numerous Mustangs....

Give me a Stang any day of the week, the new 2011 just feels a little more grown up.

BTW, my 18 year old daughter drives a 2007 Mustang GT with SLP Loudmouths, it runs in the family.

Last edited:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I have both cars w mods and the 2011 auto gt is superior hands down in everything but brute power. I have not sprayed the 2011 yet. Guess will see what the 2011 will do w that, my 03 has that option. 2011 same weight as the 03, 2011 has no crappy irs gotta fix it now. I want to put on the dspecs and see how that does on the 2011. My 2011 is premium w a 401a option. It is nice for a mustang, lot better interior than a 03 cobra. Smells like real leather even after 2+ months. Black interior w cashmere color racing stripes on seats.

They both are fun cars but the 2011 is like set it and forget it. And the sync is good stuff imo.

kingnut

Established Member
I have both cars w mods and the 2011 auto gt is superior hands down in everything but brute power. I have not sprayed the 2011 yet. Guess will see what the 2011 will do w that, my 03 has that option. 2011 same weight as the 03, 2011 has no crappy irs gotta fix it now. I want to put on the dspecs and see how that does on the 2011. My 2011 is premium w a 401a option. It is nice for a mustang, lot better interior than a 03 cobra. Smells like real leather even after 2+ months. Black interior w cashmere color racing stripes on seats.

They both are fun cars but the 2011 is like set it and forget it. And the sync is good stuff imo.

when you put on your D specs, post up a review thread. im interested to hear how you like them. ive heard they are great shocks.

Users who are viewing this thread