Is there a "streetable" drag style wheel?

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I am looking for something in the style of my Race Stars, but that can be driven daily, i.e. over bumps, around corners, etc. I don't mind if they are not drag wheel weight, just looking to go with something that looks right, and I can run a 15-17 combo with a DR out back and a relatively narrow (but not absurdly) front.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Ok, but how strong are they? That is a better wheel than my Race Stars. I would feel bad driving that around every day and bolting on an inferior wheel for the track. Those are also pricey.

Maybe I should say is there something in the same price range as a Race Star, with that basic look, that I can drive every day on?

Mike

11dsgGT

Established Member
when you have the smaller widths the integrity plays a huge factor on the street. Thats why there isnt much of a market for a drag, steet/strip wheel. Those that are, are forged like the welds. Im pretty sure you can get a nice light set from TF, but they are pricey too.

You should check eBay for the Welds and purchase them used, as you can afford them....thats what im doing.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
when you have the smaller widths the integrity plays a huge factor on the street. Thats why there isnt much of a market for a drag, steet/strip wheel. Those that are, are forged like the welds. Im pretty sure you can get a nice light set from TF, but they are pricey too.

You should check eBay for the Welds and purchase them used, as you can afford them....thats what im doing.

Yeah, I don't need a 4.5 or a 5 inch front though. I would be content with a 6-8 inch front that I can run a real tire on. On a DD, I want a tire up front that is going to stop. Just looking for that look, more than anything.

Mike

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
Yeah, I don't need a 4.5 or a 5 inch front though. I would be content with a 6-8 inch front that I can run a real tire on. On a DD, I want a tire up front that is going to stop. Just looking for that look, more than anything.

Mike

I am doing the same thing with Weld RT-S wheels.

I am just trying to decide if I want to buy a set of 15x8 for the front (I am switching to Baer 11" brakes) or go with a set of 15x6 or 7. The 8" wheels would probably be easier to sell in the future, someone would buy them as rear wheels.

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I am doing the same thing with Weld RT-S wheels.

I am just trying to decide if I want to buy a set of 15x8 for the front (I am switching to Baer 11" brakes) or go with a set of 15x6 or 7. The 8" wheels would probably be easier to sell in the future, someone would buy them as rear wheels.

I would have to switch brakes as well to run a 15 up front as I have a Brembo car.

Mike

kdanner

Banned
I have 2 full sets of RT-S, one track, one street. I don't think anyone else makes a DOT narrow front wheel. You missed the boat on this Mike, they had nice rebates last fall that put the price on par with those imported unilug wheels.

D.T.R

Established Member
Enkei RPF1s...
Amazing wheel for the price. Light.. looks great. Best band for the buck if you ask me.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I have 2 full sets of RT-S, one track, one street. I don't think anyone else makes a DOT narrow front wheel. You missed the boat on this Mike, they had nice rebates last fall that put the price on par with those imported unilug wheels.

I hear you. I really would prefer a 15 out back though. So much more to chose from in terms of tires if you go 15. It looks like the RTS only comes in 17, front and back, and the fronts are all 5 inches. What is the biggest tire you can fit on a 5 inch front?

Mike

chao5.0

Established Member
why not just switch between 2 sets of wheels for the street and strip? or have a set of 17's or 18's for the street and have the same style wheel for the rear in 15x10 just for the strip? that way you'll only need 6 wheels instead of 8 and you can still clear your brembos.

D.T.R

Established Member
This is not the look I am going for. I am looking for a wheel that has a drag wheel look...like a star or the such.

Mike

Then i think summit/jegs will be your best friend.
Plenty of knock offs there..

beerformeplz

Kenne Bell Mach 1
Established Member
I hear you. I really would prefer a 15 out back though. So much more to chose from in terms of tires if you go 15. It looks like the RTS only comes in 17, front and back, and the fronts are all 5 inches. What is the biggest tire you can fit on a 5 inch front?

Mike
They have 15" rears.

car3-2-1.jpg

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member

MikeLTDLX

Established Member

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member

Mike

The RT-S is available in 15x3.5 up to 15x18. The 17 is 17x4.5 to 17x18.

Both black/polished and polished.

More than a few people run 17s in the front and 15s in the back.

chao5.0

Established Member
what backspace would you need to run a 17x8 up front? billet specialties has a street lite wheel in 17x8 with a 4 1/2" back space but i'm not sure that will clear your brembos.

Users who are viewing this thread