guys with Vortech Aftercoolers come in.

stangbanger856

Established Member
Well I been talking to a fellow member who is gona be parting out his 98 S/C Cobra. Im planing on picking up his Votech Aftercooler from him and have a few questions.

1. My setup is curently at 14-15 PSI non-intercooled threw a V1 S trim, is the aftercooler suitable for this boost level? I have heard its inefficient after 15psi aand becomes a restriction.

2. Future plans include an upgrade to a T trim or JT trim. Is the aftercool up to par to cool it off?

3. Can a 03-04 Cobra/GT500 aftermarket heat exchanger be used to upgrade the stock vortech system?

4. What about Bypass valves? It comes with a bosh style but is that enough to handle 15psi?
I jave a Vortech mini race bpv still in a box to go on my car now, can I use it with the aftercooler?

eddyroxx

Established Member
you have the race bpv in a box!? throw that on! the bosch plastic ones arent any good for your boost levels of 14-15!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
This is becoming a weekly topic..

1. My setup is curently at 14-15 PSI non-intercooled threw a V1 S trim, is the aftercooler suitable for this boost level? I have heard its inefficient after 15psi aand becomes a restriction.

I am running a aftercooler setup on 18psi through my T-trim and making 650rwhp.. It is not ineffiecient you just have to do some upgrades which I'll cover below.

2. Future plans include an upgrade to a T trim or JT trim. Is the aftercool up to par to cool it off?

Yes it will be fine, I plan on a JT trim in the future

3. Can a 03-04 Cobra/GT500 aftermarket heat exchanger be used to upgrade the stock vortech system?

There are some restrictions in the aftercooler setup that you can get rid of. I'm running a C&R GT500 heat exchanger which is the best you can get. Next you need to upgrade the pump to a bigger pump to flow more water. I'm running Miezer 30gph pump, Next you SHOULD but not needed should make the ports on the cooler bigger.. the inlet and out let that is. The core inside the cooler is extremely effiecient.

4. What about Bypass valves? It comes with a bosh style but is that enough to handle 15psi?
I jave a Vortech mini race bpv still in a box to go on my car now, can I use it with the aftercooler?

yes you need to upgrade the bypass valve.. Sell the mini and get a mondo or a big red recirc bypass and mount it up. I'm running a mondo and another member (who uses AED as a shop) has a mondo on his 98 too.

stangbanger856

Established Member
Sorry. Didn't know its covered this often. 98saleen I was actually gona just PM you those questions but figured I would let others add there $.02 as well.

Perhaps the mods can make this a sticky and be done with it. as you have answered in detail what you need to do to make the system suitable for higher then recommend aplications.

SVTPete83

Established Member
My after cooler kept temps down really well at 480whp. We will see how it does with 15 psi. I am also running the mondo bypass. I have an upgraded heat exchanger as well though not as nice as Chris's. My pump is a stock lightening ic pump.

stangbanger856

Established Member
My after cooler kept temps down really well at 480whp. We will see how it does with 15 psi. I am also running the mondo bypass. I have an upgraded heat exchanger as well though not as nice as Chris's. My pump is a stock lightening ic pump.

Can you post pics of how you can your BPV? The way mine in now (non intercooled) it comes stright off the bottom. Does a 90* with the stock bpv and goes stright into another 90* elbow off the bottom of the power pipe.

With the aftercool setup it comes off at an angle and feeds into a 90* elbow that comes off the side of the power pipe not the bottom like mine.

Do I need to mod my power pipe to work?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Sorry. Didn't know its covered this often. 98saleen I was actually gona just PM you those questions but figured I would let others add there $.02 as well.

Perhaps the mods can make this a sticky and be done with it. as you have answered in detail what you need to do to make the system suitable for higher then recommend aplications.

No bro it's ok lol. I'm thinking about doing a write up like I did on the Official Centri thread, doing a ALL you need to know about the Vortech Aftercooler setup.. IDK we'll see..

It'll be fine buddy I wouldn't worry about it. You have the nice CA air in your favor.. The AL air here is absolutley brutal that I try to avoid driving my car all together during the day. :bored:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Can you post pics of how you can your BPV? The way mine in now (non intercooled) it comes stright off the bottom. Does a 90* with the stock bpv and goes stright into another 90* elbow off the bottom of the power pipe.

With the aftercool setup it comes off at an angle and feeds into a 90* elbow that comes off the side of the power pipe not the bottom like mine.

Do I need to mod my power pipe to work?

Here is his setup. Yes you need to mod the powerpipe so then you don't get maf wash. :)

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

Here is some of mine, but I'm redoing mine to look like his.. Mine was Gen1 of AED's design his is Gen2
DSC00781.jpg

DSC00784.jpg

Chances50

Established Member
Assuming you don't have the aftercooler setup, have you considered going to a FMIC? Have $450 in my whole IC setup that, a treadstone TR12 4.5" IC CX racing piping kit and couplers. Just an option Beacuse I know the aftercoolers can get pricey.

stangbanger856

Established Member
Assuming you don't have the aftercooler setup, have you considered going to a FMIC? Have $450 in my whole IC setup that, a treadstone TR12 4.5" IC CX racing piping kit and couplers. Just an option Beacuse I know the aftercoolers can get pricey.

Actually I had a FMIC on it but drew way to much unwanted attention. I whent from being able to cruise the car all day without issue to every guy with a CAI and catback trying to run the "Boosted Cobra" there are only a handful of Cobras in my area and the only one running around with a FMIC so I got a bullseye on my back. Lol

I spend most of my time at the track and the air/wate setup will help more then the air/air bacause I can fill the resi with ice after every run.

Ill be selling off my FMIC kit when I pick the aftercooler up.

stangbanger856

Established Member
Also search up my recent threads started you'll see pics of my C&R setup

Ya I was trolling some of your posts last night. That Gen 2 design looks alot better then your Gen 1. Can you guys hear the BPV as much being recirculated? I can here the stock bosh style when the windows are down but not sure about the bigger Mondo and race BPVs.

SVTPete83

Established Member
I haven't actually gotten to hear mine under boost yet. I know the stock Bosch one is loud though.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It all depends on how loud the rest of your car is lol.. My exhaust is loud, my blower is super loud, my suspension is loud so the bypass is somewhere in there.. Really I don't care, if my windows aren't down I'm blast some sort of rock music so I can't hear shit anyways.

yan88gt

Established Member
Next you SHOULD but not needed should make the ports on the cooler bigger.. the inlet and out let that is. The core inside the cooler is extremely effiecient.

Can you give us more details about the port modification ?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I personally haven't done it yet. Drew@AED (link in sig) has talked to me about doing this. I had no idea until he mentioned this to me. But he did it on his 700rwhp aftercooled Saleen and said it made a bit of a difference.

He said to drill and retap it with bigger fittings that don't bottleneck down.

yan88gt

Established Member
Ok so he modded the water port for the core. I tought that the inlet and outlet for the air was the said modification.

Users who are viewing this thread