Aluminator Problems

jumperjack

Established Member
Aluminator Problems Update Sunday 4/19

Well it would seem that I am having more problems with the Aluminator.The engine has about 1700 miles on it. A couple weeks ago I noticed that at start up I had blueish gray smoke coming out of the exhaust sometimes a little and at other times a pretty good bit. So I had my daughters BF follow me in his car to see if the smoking was happening when I was driving. Well whenever I would go WOT I would be smoking, So I decided to take the car back to our garage and run a compression test on it which we did and these are the results of that
1. 170 8. 180
2. 172 7. 175
3. 170 6. 170
4. 171 5. 180
Although not perfect they are well within specs. Next we decided to run a leakdown test which we did tonight the results are here.
8. filled to 100lbs leaked down to 98 so 2% all coming from VC oil filler & pcv hole
2. " " " " " " 98 so 2% leakdown VC
1 " " " " " " 98 so 2% leakdown VC
6 " " " " " " 97.5 so 2.5% leakdown VC
5 " " " " " " 98 so 2% leakdown VC
3 " " " " " " 97.5 so 2.5% leakdown VC
4 " " " " " " 98 so 2% leakdown VC
7 " " " " " " 97.5 so 2.5% leakdown VC

These also are acceptable. While doing the leakdown test I could clearly see the pistons were wet with oil and looked very carboned up. The plugs tell the same story although the tips do not have oil on the threads are wet with oil. Pics below and short vid or two of the smoking. Also I have eliminated the pcv loop as the port under the lower is plugged and both VC are run to a breather catch can. So there is no oil in the intake track.
Does anyone here think it could be the valve seals? Well I would appreciate any input you have on this. Below are the pics and vid. The plugs are orange because I run Lucas Octane Booster 1 15oz. bottle to 5 gallons of 93 Sunoco.
035-6.jpg

026-5.jpg

010-14.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcpE8Rp2f6Y"]YouTube - 031[/ame]

Last edited:

jumperjack

Established Member
You ever stuck a wideband on the car to check the a/f?
Yes it has always had a wideband in it. I have just gotten the software to datalog but I have to hook up the wideband to the PMS yet. Always seems to be on the rich side until 4th gear. Will be able to tell better when I can datalog the A/F.

Janstang

Established Member
Let us know what the datalog shows. Like Virtual said its kind of hard to tell, but it looks rich to me. If you are N/A I'd be shooting for somewhere around 13:1 for a/f.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Let us know what the datalog shows. Like Virtual said its kind of hard to tell, but it looks rich to me. If you are N/A I'd be shooting for somewhere around 13:1 for a/f.

Well judging by his sig saying 609HP KB Cobra and the license plate saying SC SVT I'd say its a safe bet that its blown..J/K

I have to agree its hard to tell what color the smoke is in the video. It looks like its just running rich. The oil on the plugs is concerning since you said you disconected the PCV tube to the intake tube. Its not uncommon for the OHC motors to leak around the valve guide seals. All your checks look fine.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
By removing the PCV valve, you are letting the pressure go into the D/S V/C when in boost. The PCV valve is suppose to act like a check valve. Since the P/S is connected to the Throttle body, when you go into boost, excess pressure is blowing oil into your intake. Remove your blower and I'll bet that the intercooler is clogged up with oil.

I would suggest you put a good check valve (#05-00719) on the D/S pointing towards your intake. Keep the catch can, but if both lines (D/S & P/S) are going into the same catch can, I'd also suggest separate catch cans for the 2 sides. Still, that won't stop the oil, but it should minimize it.

jumperjack

Established Member
By removing the PCV valve, you are letting the pressure go into the D/S V/C when in boost. The PCV valve is suppose to act like a check valve. Since the P/S is connected to the Throttle body, when you go into boost, excess pressure is blowing oil into your intake. Remove your blower and I'll bet that the intercooler is clogged up with oil.

I would suggest you put a good check valve (#05-00719) on the D/S pointing towards your intake. Keep the catch can, but if both lines (D/S & P/S) are going into the same catch can, I'd also suggest separate catch cans for the 2 sides. Still, that won't stop the oil, but it should minimize it.

There are no lines running from the PS to TB. There is zero oil in the intake that was why I installed the catch can. Plugged the hole in the CAI and capped the fitting on the back of the blower. I will post up some pics of my setup. I did away with all EGR stuff. Here are pics of VC lines, they have been shortened and run into catch can in DS fenderwell.
007-10.jpg

019-6.jpg

Last edited:

jumperjack

Established Member
Looks rich to me.What does the w/b read when you put your foot into it?
Goes right to 10 then as rpm increase seeing around 11.2 @ 5000rpm. I haven't pushed it any farther till I figure it out some more. Here is the last dyno sheet and the A/F seemed pretty good. I haven't changed anything since I had it tuned but seems to be different now.
013-10.jpg

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Just curious as to when you last changed the plugs.I really can`t see any oil on them in the pics.

Silverboost

Established Member
Off topic, but I guess the new KB you got as a replacement fixed your boost issue? If so did KB ever figure out why you were having boost issues with your old 2.6?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I think you might have called it above,valve seals.That`s why it smokes at start up,the oil might be getting by the seals as the car sits.Were the heads redone when you did the build?

jumperjack

Established Member
Off topic, but I guess the new KB you got as a replacement fixed your boost issue? If so did KB ever figure out why you were having boost issues with your old 2.6?

They said it was not the blower that it was within specs even with the oil coming out of the front. I only know what they said, but the 2.8 they sent me works great

I think you might have called it above,valve seals.That`s why it smokes at start up,the oil might be getting by the seals as the car sits.Were the heads redone when you did the build?

The Aluminator I bought new was a longblock so the heads were brand new. It has about 1700 miles on it.

Janstang

Established Member
Well judging by his sig saying 609HP KB Cobra and the license plate saying SC SVT I'd say its a safe bet that its blown..J/K

I have to agree its hard to tell what color the smoke is in the video. It looks like its just running rich. The oil on the plugs is concerning since you said you disconected the PCV tube to the intake tube. Its not uncommon for the OHC motors to leak around the valve guide seals. All your checks look fine.
Thanks for setting me straight.:beer: 10:1 down low is plenty rich. I usually try to shoot for 11.5-11.8 all the way across on mine. Did the guys you had following/filming you happen to say if it smelled rich, oily, sweet like antifreeze etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread