Valve Cover Bolts

sal298

Established Member
Anyone know where you can get a nice set of Stainless valve cover bolts? Mine look kind of crappy and I want to get them cleaned up. If not, what have you done to make yours look nice?

Sal

Digital

Established Member
How hard would it be to just find the thread size and a nice beefy head in stainless? Me thinks not very and someone could do a little "parts catalog" leg work and link it.

If someone can get me the info on the threads and such I can locate a supplier for us.

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
Anyone know where you can get a nice set of Stainless valve cover bolts? Mine look kind of crappy and I want to get them cleaned up. If not, what have you done to make yours look nice?

Sal

I got a set of brand new ones... and they actually look pretty damn good when they are on. I'm sure you could order some oem ones, and polish them up a bit yourself.

black 10th vert

Established Member
How hard would it be to just find the thread size and a nice beefy head in stainless? Me thinks not very and someone could do a little "parts catalog" leg work and link it.

If someone can get me the info on the threads and such I can locate a supplier for us.

The main issue is that the threads are a small diameter, so the corresponding head diameter is much too small for any "off the shelf bolts". I ended up making a custom set with large chrome acorn nuts for the heads, and used thread inserts inside to size down to the correct thread diameter, and pitch. I then added polished stainless washers underneath to cover the whole rubber grommet. Very happy with the resulting look, but it was a bit of work.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
The main issue is that the threads are a small diameter, so the corresponding head diameter is much too small for any "off the shelf bolts". I ended up making a custom set with large chrome acorn nuts for the heads, and used thread inserts inside to size down to the correct thread diameter, and pitch. I then added polished stainless washers underneath to cover the whole rubber grommet. Very happy with the resulting look, but it was a bit of work.

pics please

crunkstang1214

Established Member
I just hit mine with the wire brush on the bench grinder. They look brand new. This is the best pic i have.
IMG_1877.gif

IMG_1878.gif

Last edited:

merc lover

Established Member
If you guys are going to wire-wheel those stock bolts, do yourselves a favor and either paint them, or clear them before installing them because they will rust over time.

black 10th vert

Established Member
If you guys are going to wire-wheel those stock bolts, do yourselves a favor and either paint them, or clear them before installing them because they will rust over time.

Absolutely! They only have a thin CAD plating on them so if you wire wheel them, they will shine up good, but will definitely rust from washing, or even condensation.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Thanks!;-) It's still not finished yet, but it is a bit more together than those pics at least! I really wish that I didn't have to put on the air intake, because that Dragon TB looks so cool with the red anodized butterfly!

black 10th vert

Established Member
That is a Reichard Racing 2.93. I also have a 4# lower with it. I had a 2.93 BF setup on my previous Eaton, but like the looks of the RR better.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have a 2.8 one exactly like the one in the picture that I may not use since I'm probably going to stick with 2.93/4# lower combo. If you are interested shoot me a pm.

Users who are viewing this thread