96 Cobra electrical/computer issue...Please Help

SPoole

Established Member
I am posting this for a guy on a different forum.
He has a 96 Cobra that is having trouble with something electrical. The car starts in open loop runs fine, after roughly 60 seconds goes into closed loop as it should and runs fine, but at 5-8 minutes it kicks back out of closed loop and stays in open loop from then on.
No trouble codes, seems to happen after 130deg engine temp. Data logged all sensors that he could think would put the car into limp mode and did not see any difference from before to after. Tried different tunes and different computers with all doing the same thing.
Items I think could possibly be the cause...grounds, sensor, or ?. Since it has happened with multiple computers i would think it is something that stays with the car.
Please help.

SPoole

Established Member
So after reviewing past logs he has determined that is happens at 128-130deg every time.
So what is the computer changing at that temp?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
It goes in after about a minute like it should, but then is kicked back out at that temp.

That was my point, I don't recall it going closed after 1 min.

It shouldn't go to closed untill all temps are close to operating temp.

However, it has been a long time for me.

Hell My OTC 4000E hasn't been updated since 1993

MouTine

Established Member
Does the car sit still and idles or while driveing? I would say that it is just normal when outside weather is cold. But when you start to drive it should go to closed loop right away.

My car drops to open loop when stopped to traficlights despite engine is at normal opr tmp but weather is freezing.

SPoole

Established Member
It doesn't matter whether you are driving or idling. He just got word from his tuner that he suspects that it could be a binary conversion issue, he says he has seen some troubles with sct before.
He is going to try another tune again and see if this works.

Users who are viewing this thread