Going to make VIN/ID tag, would anyone be interested in one?

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Ok, slight change of plans as far as notifying me - from here on out, please email me at duffmanrha (at) hotmail.com to be updated as it progresses

I really like the look of the Saleen and Shelby plates that are made to identify real ones, and has the look of being original with the letter and numbers being stamped into the plate. I wish Ford had done this when they put out the Cobras, but at least this way it will look how I want :D I've whipped up a few ones on PS7, and most are more square than rectangle since I'm looking at putting it on the firewall/plastic on the firewall. I made a rectangular one just to see how it would look, if someone wanted their's inside the car in the usual spot by the TCS and cig lighter.

Obviously this isn't something new, since other people have done it, mostly 03/04 owners, but I wanted this to look more factory. I think with it riveted in place and with the numbers stamped into the aluminum it will badass. The cost is pretty light actually, something like $50 to make the silkscreen "master" and then each one has a small cost. Would anyone be interested in one, and if so, which one?

svtplate4.gif

svtplate3.gif

This one is one that could also be used on a Lightning and Focus as well, with the "model" field:
svtplate2.gif

svtplate.gif

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Me too. The first one, and I'd want my # out of black coupes in 01. I'm in the process of registering mine right now, I'll have the certificate in a few days.

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
cool idea........
I also like the concept of _______ of _______ Silver Convertables, but that may just be getting too detailed for a plate....
maybe one designed for underhood application with VIN, and one shaped for interior with the # of your color taking the place of the VIN......

either way , Im in....

shurur

Established Member
I'm not ready to drop the cash yet..but PLEASE CONTINUE TO DO THIS IN THE FUTURE.

I like #3 style...But..
Whatever style the consensus of paying customers picks is fine with me...
Thank you to all paying SVTP customers everywhere.

Last edited:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Damn, didn't realize that it would be so popular, can't wait to get these things going for everyone. Got a few more questions though, and let me know if I'm forgetting anything. It's funny that everyone likes #1, as I was thinking that would be the least popular one with the purposely large-sized, offset, Cobra emblem :D

I was planning on putting mine on the firewall, but of course they could really go anywhere that space allowed. If it were to go on the radiator, or on the interior, what would the dimensions need to be in order for it to fit? On the interior, would it be the same place as the Terminator ones where it goes down by the shifter next to the cig lighter? I know on my 99, since the TCS switch is right there, it only leaves about 4" max down there, width-wise anyway.

As for the ____ of _____ I was thinking about what is written on the certs, which if I'm correct, tells your build number out of X number of coupes or convertibles, right? Either way, it doesn't matter and it could have whatever # you wanted I suppose, but I'd like to keep it a Cobra-only thing, kinda what Saleen does with their tags, but not THAT involved, just being able to verify its a Cobra off the VIN provided to be stamped anyway.

I was thinking about riveting mine to the firewall, or rather the firewall plastic - should I leave them undrilled though for people to be able to use adhesive, whether interior or underhood?

Finally, the last thing would be cost. Obviously shipping these would be not much more than sticking it in pre-made bubblewrap manila envelope, so that would only be like a $1 anywhere in the US. My question for everyone is, what price would people be willing to pay for this? I don't have a per-item price yet, but its only about $50 to have the design made into a silkscreen template, and based on my research of similiar products, each one would cost anywhere from $5-$10 each, not including the stamping. If a lot of people are interested and its worth it, I might just get the stamping stuff myself rather than paying someone else to do it. I'm not looking to make money off of it, in fact I was expecting to LOSE money since I was just thinking about my car, but figured others might like it once I got the design samples you see above.

So basically, the cost would literally be the metal itself, and the printing of the design, and finally the cost to stamp it, so I am guessing w/o knowing anything for sure yet, it would be $20-25 or so. I'd also be happy to make both an underhood AND an interior one, if someone can help me with placement and dimensions for fitting on both 99-00 center consoles, and 01+ center consoles.

Finally, if anyone has suggestions on other text to put on there, please by all means post up and let me know. I put the hand-built thing there going off the engine plaques, but I didn't know if these were even made in Dearborn either. Point being, if there is something cooler to put on there, please tell me.

Thanks for all the feedback and please let me know on above so I can get at least one of them going asap!

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
I like the first one. If you do the number thing, I know mine is one of 163 tribe blue verts or 1 of 262 true blue cobras. I will check back to see what you decide. I am definitely in for the radiator one. I gotta check my interior because of the top up/down button.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I'd like two -one to put by my shifter and another to put on my radiator cover.

Would definitely prefer no holes drilled in it b/c I'd find a less permanent and cleaner way to mount it.

And I think the $20-$25 price point is fair.

Last edited:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I like the first one. If you do the number thing, I know mine is one of 163 tribe blue verts or 1 of 262 true blue cobras. I will check back to see what you decide. I am definitely in for the radiator one. I gotta check my interior because of the top up/down button.

Doesn't matter to me, and I'm pretty much decided on leaving the field blank for that as well. That way if people want to do their serial # out of the number of verts/coupes, or out of the color/interior/top combo, or out of the whole run of ~8,000 or so each year, its up to everyone which they'd like to do.

Doesn't your top up/down button go where the fog light switch is, on the center console by the parking brake?

I'd like two -one to put by my shifter and another to put on my radiator cover.

Would definitely prefer no holes drilled in it b/c I'd find a less permanent and cleaner way to mount it.

And I think the $20-$25 price point is fair.

I think that I am going to do that for sure now, both producing them and my own as well. Why should only the Shelby guys have them :)

When people say they want it for the radiator, is it like you that want it on the black plastic cover, or actually on the radiator itself in the "valley" of the top of the rad? Also, is the sizing the same to where one tag could be made in a 5" x 2.5" or whatever, of both the interior center console AND the rad cover?

Thanks for the feedback, and if anyone could help find some measurements for this area, which I assume is where everyone is talking about, that would be great :

p32573_large+1999_Ford_Mustang_Steeda+Interior_Center_Console.jpg

I assume that everyone with a 99 has the traction control, so the interior one would have to go in the same location as this guy's is located, but of course it would be made longer/wider to fit more info, even if the height is the same. Since I'm not familiar with anything beyond 87-93 and 99-00 interiors, any help with 94-95, 96-98, and 01+, would be appreciated.

Finally, I have a vacation coming up and didn't have anything planned, and since I must take a week off per banking regulations, I will be doing this during that time. That will be around the middle of December, so hopefully I could have some finished ones made up to post pics of, and I will either get the letters/numbers to stamp them myself, or take them to a local trophy shop to have each one done how each person likes it. I am getting the plates made by a company in my dad's business park about an hour away, and local places won't make them because the Ford oval, SVT logo, and Cobra emblem are all trademarked.

DRAGUL

Established Member
I also would be interested in one. I would like to mount it to the radiator cover (black plastic). So no holes in it. This would be great for the car shows.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I also would be interested in one. I would like to mount it to the radiator cover (black plastic). So no holes in it. This would be great for the car shows.

+1

Very nice designs! Prefer #1. In for 2.

Could you also stamp the "Serial # of #" if it was provided? I'd pay an extra few bucks...

Users who are viewing this thread