Not sure which synthetic oil to use...

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
Guys i see a lot of people are going with 5w20 and 5w30. My car has about 13,000 miles on it... Im not sure which brand to use either. I can get 6 quarts of royal purple for like 48 bucks on ebay... But im not sure which brand to stick with.. I also dont want to cheap out on oil. I plan to change it every 2,000 miles. Ive read most terminator owners change there's 2,000 - 2,500 right? Thanks for you help guys!

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
So is there any difference in Mobile 1, Royal Purple, Castrol.. At the rate in which we change our oil? Or should i just find the best deal and roll with it?

sdacbob

Established Member
Mobil 1, Penzoil Platinum, Redline, Royal Purple and Amisol are pure synthetics, US made Castrol syntec meets US Govt. requirements to be called a synthetic. Mobil 1 and Penzoil are alot cheaper though and that's what I use. I have a 1987 Shelby Charger GLHS I bought new. At 80,000 I replaced the head gasket and you could still see the squirl marks in the cylinder bores. No sludge anywhere. Used Mobil 1 only in it and it was also the factory fill as it is in Corvettes and Vipers.

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I'm not sure about Pennzoil, but I know that Mobil1's main ingredient is PAO based synthetics, with some Esters thrown in for longevity. Castrol Syntec is based on a group III hydrocracked(dyno) oil, that they call "full synthetic" but it's not. (Mobil and Castrol had a big lawsuit over this a few years back)

if your changing your full synthetic oil every 2000 miles your doing 2 things, wasting money and using up valuable resources that could be used for better things (sure I know you can recycle oil, but energy still has to be used to recycle it)

I change my oil in my vehicles, including the Cobra every 10,000 miles or yearly.. since IMHO it dosn't hurt it to just sit in the vehicle if it's not running(such as it's been since April 5th)

ymmv

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
Silver2003Cobra said:
I'm not sure about Pennzoil, but I know that Mobil1's main ingredient is PAO based synthetics, with some Esters thrown in for longevity. Castrol Syntec is based on a group III hydrocracked(dyno) oil, that they call "full synthetic" but it's not. (Mobil and Castrol had a big lawsuit over this a few years back)

if your changing your full synthetic oil every 2000 miles your doing 2 things, wasting money and using up valuable resources that could be used for better things (sure I know you can recycle oil, but energy still has to be used to recycle it)

I change my oil in my vehicles, including the Cobra every 10,000 miles or yearly.. since IMHO it dosn't hurt it to just sit in the vehicle if it's not running(such as it's been since April 5th)

ymmv
Your retarded. It doesnt break down like dyno, but synth and the filter still get dirty.:nono: 10,000 miles... i bet you add stickers for added peformance.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
^^I'd actually be willing to bet that lots of people have been sucked into various levels of hype on what it best to put in their car and how often to change it. I'd like to see everyone that has posted thus far justify why they like one particular brand over the other - and back it up with empircal evidence.

As for my car, Mobil 1 was factory fill. I'll keep it like that and leave it alone.

Got5onIt

Mean Green Nation
Established Member
poopy01 said:
Your retarded. It doesnt break down like dyno, but synth and the filter still get dirty.:nono: 10,000 miles... i bet you add stickers for added peformance.

I wouldn't be so harsh on the guy.
Synthetic oil on a "normaly" driven car can go a helluva lot longer than 3k miles. 6-8k is perfectly acceptable, HOWEVER the oil filter should be changed at the halfway point. There is huge writeup on oil & filter analysis on the net about this. Google for it. It's worth a read.
Changing the filter only makes a huge mess, so you might be better off doing the whole thing.

Change the oil and filter every 5k miles or 4 months with synhetics and you will be fine. :coolman:

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
When it comes to synthetic oil(s), Amsoil and Royal Purple seem to be held in very high regards with many. The last time I looked, I saw amsoil as cheap or even a few cents cheaper than Mobil 1. On a side note, I'm curious to know who makes the infamous Walmart brand oils.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
poopy01 said:

with the type of driving I do, (which includes at a minimim one 600 mile round trip a month, usually 2) and normal driving which is 10+ miles one way, my oil dosn't get as contaminated as granny that gets in her car, starts it up, lets it idle for 5 minutes and slowly drives 3 blocks to church and back home 2 hours later.

sure, if that's how your driving your car(granny style) you NEED to change your oil more frequently since the acids that form from unburned hydrocarbons going into your oil and condensation are absorbed by the oil. The way I drive, those don't have much of a chance to build up, so the oil stays alot cleaner..

also, a good synthetic (PAO based) has much more ability to hold in suspension the dirt/acids that will damage your engine.

where did I get the idea of going longer periods of time with my oil changes.. from when I had my C5 Corvette, with it's build in oil life indicator that would take the milege on the factory specified Mobil1 to 10,000 miles (on the 2000+ C5 Vettes, the oil life went to 15,000 miles including on the 405 hp Z06)

sdacbob

Established Member
SolarYellow said:
When it comes to synthetic oil(s), Amsoil and Royal Purple seem to be held in very high regards with many. The last time I looked, I saw amsoil as cheap or even a few cents cheaper than Mobil 1. On a side note, I'm curious to know who makes the infamous Walmart brand oils.

I heard it is Valvoline

Sapperstang

Established Member
Save your money and stick with the motorcraft. I know I won't be wasting money on synthetic high priced oil again. I did that on one of my other mustangs.

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
I love you guys and your synthetic oils. If you use synthetic oil, and replace it at 3000-5000 miles like you would with a traditional oil, you ARE wasting money. The whole purpose of synthetic oil is length of use. I dont care what your friend with a vette does. If you want to change your oil every 3500 miles, don`t use synthetic, unless you think your getting that extra "power"

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
I just changed mine with Mobil 1 and a K&N oil filter

http://knfilters.com/oilfilter.htm

Only reason I splurged for it is because it is EXTREMELY tough to get an oil filter wrench around the filter and have room to turn it (you have to slot it between the torque converter and exhaust on my truck), and the K&N has a little 1 inch nut on the bottom for easy removal.

Users who are viewing this thread