2010 GT500 vs. 2011 5.0 GT

redfire03 svt

Established Member
I know these cars are far apart in terms of power, but which one would you rather have and why? I am considering each one in the near future and have had 6 terminators since they first came out. I just cant get enough of them and now the more and more I see the new 5.0, and what a beast of a car FORD has put out, I may switch out from the cobra.

Once I started looking at the GT, I noticed that the 2010 GT 500's are really not that much more for a nice certified pre-owned Shelby. You really can't go wrong with either but I like to get other peoples opinions. This vehicle would mostly be used daily for a very short to and from work commute and to car shows. Off course I would want it to be a good street brawler too:rockon:It would not see any track duty but both would be full bolt performance minus tearing into the motor.

16kOrBust

Established Member
2010 gt500 for many reasons, but two big ones: bigger motor, better looks. Just my opinion on the second one, obviously.

Last edited:

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
GT500 .. you will make more with just boltons .. pulley changes etc without going into the motor .. more potential ..

Either way I don't think you can go wrong though ..

Crowley

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
If I got a Shelby I'd have to get two. One for investment and one for play car. Personally I don't think I could DD a Shelby so I'd go with the 5.0.

SpectorV

Established Member
the hype will die down soon and they will be just normal GT mustangs everywhere, buy the GT500 for something that will be more fun for longer if possible.

xenodragon

Established Member
If I got a Shelby I'd have to get two. One for investment and one for play car.

Have you seen the prices on the Shelby's dropping like a rock? It wont be an investment. The only gt500 that might be worth something is the KR or the SS.

Get the gt500 and dont look back. The prices on the 2010's are maybe $5k more than the GT.

redfire03 svt

Established Member
yes, they seem to be alot of car for the money. the 2011 GT500 is not quite at a bargain yet so that is not a feasible option. I just wonder if it will give you the feeling a twin screw terminator does once you pulley the GT500? the terminator just gives you that feeling that you are getting assaulted by your own car, lol.

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
Have you seen the prices on the Shelby's dropping like a rock? It wont be an investment. The only gt500 that might be worth something is the KR or the SS.

Get the gt500 and dont look back. The prices on the 2010's are maybe $5k more than the GT.

Long term investment...like 30-40 years.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
depends what you want, there both beasts in there own way, shelby is a rare $$ beast with 100+ more hp and a bigger motor and blower,all it takes is pulley intake and exaust and its a 500-600rwhp car,but its downfall is its a heavy pig and handles like shit,and I would rather drive a regular gt as a daily driver, a shelbyfor a dd is a $$ daily driver, I wish i had tons of money to want to drive a 40-60k car for a daily driver lol

Now 5.0 gt is lighter has power to weight, good gains for basic bolt ons 400-450rwhp,will outhandle a shelby gt500,is 1 of the best all motor mustangs yet, best gt hands down, 400hp n/a out of 5.0 is just nasty, better for daily driver, but downfalls $$ brand new, not much aftermarket yet,big car payment being its a 30-40k car now for just a gt,just a regular gt,has 100+less hp then a shelby.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I would get the GT, but I'm not interested in a car for drag/street racing.

The weight difference is what does it for me. I don't need much more than 400rwhp, and I can get there with bolt-ons with the 2011 GT.

TermNewb

Banned
If your going to get a GT500, wait to get the 2011 w/ SVT package. Its hands down way better than the 10. I'd get a 2011 GT before getting a 2010 GT500. Then again if you don't give a shit about handling and only want to drag race, get either of the two.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
GT without a doubt. I do not and will not buy into a bunch of Shelby hype, and I cannot stand adding a ton of wieght when ever they add power. The GT and the 2011 GT500 are huge leaps in the right direction for Ford since they have been adding wieght for any power increase for as long as I can remember.

Users who are viewing this thread