True Forged GT500 Hood Vents

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Steve, you are doing a heck of a job over there. My wife returned from a knock at our front door and placed a box next to me. I immediately knew what it was and couldn't stop grinning. So in a nutshell, thanks. I appreciate the effort you've made to make this thing work. So without further ado...

The box was very light. A good thing, especially on our already nose heavy pigs...

ry%3D480

A few seconds to unpack and a few more to inspect the goods...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

There were no burrs or sharp edges. The powder coating was uniform on each and every piece, especially impressive on the screening. In addition, all the threaded holes were clean and ready for the included hardware.

ry%3D480

I added a quick coat of wax to every piece but the screen as I figured it'd be a bit easier than once everything was installed.

ry%3D480

While the wax was drying I gave the car a quick bath. Yet more parts to be removed and put away...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

On to the install. I've had my underhood blanket off ever since I "deleted" the stripes. It'll probably take the average person about five minutes to pop out the push pins that attach it to the underside of the hood. Once it is off, removing the plastic vents is rather simple. Simply push the two forward tabs to the rear while applying upward pressure...

ry%3D480

The front of the vent will then release...

ry%3D480

You can then grab the vent from the topside of the hood and slip it out for good...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
At that point, you may have some residual "rubber tape" left behind. You might consider peeling off what is left on each vent and adding it back onto the hood if you are extremely anal about the possibility of marring the hood with the new vents. I considered it, dry fit the outer ring over it, and quickly made the decision to remove it from the hood. It not only isn't needed, but it prevents the new vent pieces from seating perfectly.

ry%3D480

I then moved on to installing the black oxide threaded studs into the respective holes of the top ring. I added a drop of blue Loctite to the thread ends before installing them...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I the removed the screws from the inner vent trim ring so the backing plate and screen could be slid inside the hood. Steve, nothing but good as far as the layout and machine work. Very well executed!

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

If you lined up everything right, the top trim ring and studs can be slipped in place, sandwiching the hood. You can then start all the nuts - but don't tighten them yet!
NOTE - I should mention that I have deviated from TF's instructions here. They simply place the screen and top bezel over top of the hood. I inserted the screen inside the hood in an attempt to lower the upper bezel. It also kept the edges of the screen from bearing down on the hood, instead allowing the smoother top bezel to be cinched down onto the painted hood. Remember to not overtighten the nuts, especially if you do it the way I did. Otherwise you risk deforming the top bezel or tearing out the threads machined into it.

ry%3D480

Be forewarned - a couple of the nuts that have to be installed through the hood bracing can be a bit tricky, shall we say. Be careful here that you don't crossthread the studs. Go slowly and check your alignment work often! Once all the nuts were started I reinstalled the parts I had removed earlier (see next photo). I used blue Loctite there as well. It was at that point that I finished tightening the "sandwich stack" of True Forged beauty!

ry%3D480

Wala! One down...

ry%3D480

I then moved on to the remaining vent, only this time trying a different method of slipping the pieces into place. However you do it, take your time and be careful!

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'll get some better shots up Sunday with some natural light.

To the rest of you about to install them - be very aware of what you are doing as you are doing it. Don't overtighten the lock nuts. It would be nice to have an extra set of hands but you can go it alone if you must. I did and it wasn't a problem.

I'm going to leave the blanket off for a bit as I want to make sure that nothing comes loose. It'd take a bit longer if you had to remove all the push pins again (and they don't like multiple install/removal cycles) if you did install the blanket and something did somehow get loose.

Beyond that, these are the pieces I've wanted since I bought the car. Steve, you guys did what others couldn't. Thanks again for making this a reality. To any prospective buyers - get a set while you can. They are high quality, well designed, and well executed parts. Somebody spent quite a bit of time making sure everything was right. There is very little room for the studs to be located and these are placed in the only spots that will work.

Here's to True Forged! :)

Tob

Last edited:

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
you better get back in here and show them installed soon:bash:

steve those look good and i am glad it is not the caddy mesh, i am just not a fan of that.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Another grand slam by True Forged, they look awesome! I can't wait to see what's in store for the 10+. ;-)

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks for the install pics! I will go with Satin Black now.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
they look just plain awesome! LOVE that you got an all satin black set too, they look very custom without looking gaudy in the least. great write up too!

now we just gotta see that caddy mesh...

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
my bad, i see what you did there..lol..

looks good, nice to finally see something different and not cheap.

SLGT750

Established Member
Those look awesome! Thanks for the pics and thank you True Forged for making these fine pieces!:rockon:

SLGT750

Established Member
Tob, I noticed you put the mesh under the hood and the video instructions showed them going over the hood under the top bezel. Did you feel there was too much gap on the top bezel by putting the directly underneath?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You can do it either way. Of course, the way I did it was a PIA. In addition, it separates the stack, hence my mention to not overtighten. I was able to get it to seat a hair more by doing it that way.

In retrospect, I'd recommend that you do as directed by TF. Quicker and far easier.

Good eye!

Tob

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
Thanks for the "How-to" and the Satin was the right choice for your car, they look awesome!
I bought the one set of Gloss that Steve had to match my gloss black stripes. I received shipping notifications yesterday so hopefully i will be receiving them soon! I cant wait to finally get rid of the stock plastic vents!

RedlineHP

Established Member
Tob, vents look great on your car, looking forward to getting mine.
Steve & crew at True Forged does very nice metal work.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Tob, vents look great on your car, looking forward to getting mine.
Steve & crew at True Forged does very nice metal work.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the other variations as I need to make up my mind on another set, because I like these that much!:)

Those look hot dude! Please post some pics in natural sunlight. Thanks!
You got it brother! Hood up!

IMG_6617.jpg

IMG_6634.jpg

IMG_6596.jpg

IMG_6638.jpg

IMG_6639.jpg

I like these even more today than I did yesterday!:thumbsup:

Tob

Users who are viewing this thread