Everything there is to know about the LM-1

hmwave

Established Member
I have one and plan to fit it in a few weeks time.

Thought I'd start a thread asking LM-1 owners/users to write up their usage and install instructions/experience with pics if possible.

Information such as:
- where you installed the bung (one side, or both with a blanking plug? I hear Innovate is working on a dual channel option)
- how you wired the unit for permanent use, 12V and O2 cable through the floor pan (or up the side of the tranny?)
- where you connected the power-off-at-start relay to the solenoid or starter motor
- how you connected the sensor inputs to the vehicle sensors
- what gauge(s) you use
- what parameters you log and what's important to monitor for (other than the obvious AFR)
- how you process the data on a PC
- etc etc

Goal is to end up with a a one stop shop thread for LM-1 information for the 03/04's.

TRBO VNM

I have one, but haven't touched the surface yet with its capabilities.

right now I have the sensor on the driver side and also have a bung on the passenger side as well. dual monitor would be awesome. driver side is more critical

I am only using the cig lighter for now, but eventually will hard wire it in. I plan to mount it on UPR's extreme tach mount bracket somehow.

i tried the rpm signal from the same location as the raptor shift light but it didn't work correctly. That was on my redfire. I just got a comp orange and will try the same thing. some have said you need the tach adapter, some say there is no need for it.

once you record the data in the lm-1 and then hook it up to the computer you can easily view it in the software and in logworks.

maoun

Established Member
i unfortunately don't have the time for a write-up, but have hardwired and gone the full mine in cars with several of them...gauges, monitoring, and all...even hooking them to advanced engine management systems as a closed-look oxygen sensor...so, if you have any questions, please PM me and i'd be happy to give you my # to talk for a little or answer any quick q's

m.

Don03cobra

Established Member
I have had a LM-1 for just over a year.. and the 03 cobra is the 2nd car that I have had it in.
I have only used it for a hand held reference while doing WOT blasts and NEVER even hooked it up to my laptop, no data logged... pretty lazy eh?
I am getting ready to step it up however. I just ordered the RPM converter from Cort today (back order until Wed of next week) and have plans to datalog RPMS from the tach signal on the EEC (dont remember the pin #, but it is a well known mod for shift lights). I also am going to take a signal from the MAP sensor and datalog boost. Any my biggest pride, is I am buying a digital display that will display REAL AFR, not just .700, or .850, but it wil display 12.2 or whatever.. and its less than 100.00. I will have mine in a week and will make sure that it works right before I spill the beans.
After I get my display, i am goign to hardwire mine under the seat or somewhere to get that big thing out of the way!!!

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by Don03vert
I have had a LM-1 for just over a year.. and the 03 cobra is the 2nd car that I have had it in.
I have only used it for a hand held reference while doing WOT blasts and NEVER even hooked it up to my laptop, no data logged... pretty lazy eh?
I am getting ready to step it up however. I just ordered the RPM converter from Cort today (back order until Wed of next week) and have plans to datalog RPMS from the tach signal on the EEC (dont remember the pin #, but it is a well known mod for shift lights). I also am going to take a signal from the MAP sensor and datalog boost. Any my biggest pride, is I am buying a digital display that will display REAL AFR, not just .700, or .850, but it wil display 12.2 or whatever.. and its less than 100.00. I will have mine in a week and will make sure that it works right before I spill the beans.
After I get my display, i am goign to hardwire mine under the seat or somewhere to get that big thing out of the way!!!

Would be great if you could take lots of pictures and post them here.

BenD

Established Member
MM-1 vs the Commander

It sounds to me that the W/B Commander is a lot simpler to use plus it comes with an analog gauge that can be mounted on the Steering column via a pod purchased from Summit racing.

I've been trying to determine which one to buy myself. The W/B Commander comes with everything needed to install and I like the idea of be able to read your A/F right of the analog guage.

It's a bit pricey at $465, but that's everything, including the bung. Some of the others are outrageously high priced, e.g., the Motec unit is nearly $1400, that's crazy in my book!

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
Im looking at both of them myself. I wont be back in the states driving again until next april so I have plenty of time to decide. pics of both would be pretty sweet.

Flatliner

THE HEARTBEAT STOPS HERE.
Established Member
So let me make sure I have this straight, this is what I need to purchase:

LM-1 Air/Fuel Ratio Meter (KIT) $349.00
Aux. Input Cable #2 (RPM Converter) $99.00
Inductive Pickup - (USE ONLY WITH RPM CONVERTER) $20.00

Is the RPM converter and pick up necessary to record air/fuel against RPM's? I read something about pick up using the same wire that is used with for example the raptor shift light, is this true?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by Don03vert
Any my biggest pride, is I am buying a digital display that will display REAL AFR, not just .700, or .850, but it wil display 12.2 or whatever.. and its less than 100.00. I will have mine in a week and will make sure that it works right before I spill the beans.

Don,
2 questions:
How did you get the RPM to read correctly, if you did?

What is the digital display and is it working as well as you though?

Thanks,

Dana

Flatliner

THE HEARTBEAT STOPS HERE.
Established Member
Dana I just got mine in, but haven't opened the box (I know real surprise... give you three guesses where it is, but you will probably only need one!)

I went onto innovative's web site and they have a forum there. Doesn't look like much traffic though. I read somewhere that if you are getting a reading, but it is spiking, then it is interference that you are receiving and that a special wire you can buy at electronics store will cure that. Let me know what you are doing and we can work through this thing together. I need to get the bung installed, if I have time I will get it done this weekend.

I've also read at modulardepot that some people are using the tach adapter for ford to get working right as well. Unfortunately, until I start playing I won't know.

Did you buy the converter and the inductive pick up?

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I didn't buy the inductive pickup. I did get the rest of the stuff though. I figured I would be able to hook it up to the AutoMeter tach adapter I have mounted in the car already. The RPM readings are inaccurate, sometimes twice what they are supposed to be and I have tried to calibrate it every way possible.
The closest I got was about 400 above what it is actually running at.
The rest of the setup works fine. I am monitoring the TPS, fuel pressure, RPM and A/F. Still room for 2 more.
The LogWorks program is pretty good also. I just recently downloaded an upgrade software package from them but have to install the firmware upgrade. Maybe that will help???

Tim just ordered a kit with the inductive pick up. I am going to see if that works any better. It is due next week, so we'll see what happens then.

I would hate to have to swap out tach adapters to get this thing working, but maybe the Ford one is better suited for this application???
Innovative's web site is not much help. I have been watching it for several months.

I am going to make up a dash bracket to mount the head unit until I can get a smaller digital readout display installed. Not very attractive, but functional. HA! HA!

And yes, I know it is still in your trunk.

Dan

03forme

Established Member
Dana said:
I didn't buy the inductive pickup. I did get the rest of the stuff though. I figured I would be able to hook it up to the AutoMeter tach adapter I have mounted in the car already. The RPM readings are inaccurate, sometimes twice what they are supposed to be and I have tried to calibrate it every way possible.

Dan

Exactly the problem with mine except I'm using a Ford Tach driver.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Yes, it's not the tach adapter's fault. The LM-1 has some serious issues with the RPM side of the instrument.
But, I did finally get it to withn abut 40 RPMs of the actual speed. I figured that was close enough.

It is now interfaced with the Raptor datalogger and it doesn't matter anymore, unless I use it without the Raptor.
Dana

Users who are viewing this thread