Brake Squeal Stopped!

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Ever since I had my cobra, the brakes would squeal from time to time. When I had the stock pads, it would do it now and then and when I romped on them a few times they would shut up for a while. When I wore through the stock pads I decided to get some hawk hp+ pads. I had good experiences with them when had an rx-7. I was hoping to get a bit better braking performance without spending too much money. I had the rotors cut, installed the new pads, used caliper grease and anti-squeal in all the proper places, etc. From the first time I drove the car with the new pads, they squealed. I broke them in properly being really easy on them at first, but it made no diffrence. As soon as they got some heat in them from normal stopping and driving, they would squeal unless I braked really hard. This annoyance caused me to change my driving style. It came to the point where I would brake at the last moment and stop real hard to keep them from making noise. This lead me to warp the rotors. I ended up taking them apart and cleaning them, but it didn't help. This weekend they got so bad that I had enough. I took the brakes appart again, cut the rotors again, and installed some waggner thermoquiet pads from o'reilly. I was really careful putting them together. I used caliper grease on the slider pins up front, anti-sieze on all the bolts, and disk brake quiet on the back of the rear pads. The instructions that came with the pads said not to use any chemicals on the front pads because they came with molded insulators. I torqued everything down according to the book, bled the brakes, and went for a drive. Initially the rears dragged a bit. I had a hard time getting them on as if the pads were a bit too thick, but it worn in after about 5 miles. I took it real easy on the brakes for a couple days, and so far no noise! I did notice that the hawk pads had alot more initial bite and better feel, but I can't deal with the noise in a street car.

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
Aren't the Hawk HP+'s more of a race pad? I wonder if that was the problem. I thought race pads were designed to work better when very hot (autocrossing, etc). I wonder if they did that because they were not getting hot enough on the street until you hit them hard right before the stop light. Although, that wouldn't explain the stockers making noise. :shrug:

I just installed some Hawk HPS pads last weekend and so far (knock on wood) they have not made any noise and feel really good when braking.

ModsAway

Established Member
Thermoquiets squealed for me. Hawk Hp+ and slotted rotors now, squeal as well but at least they have great stopping power.

hawkls1

Established Member
i just got a 2000 cobra r brake kit going on soon and i hope the don't squealed for me.i have the hawk hps and the aways sqeaded alittle bet,but now there driving me crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread