Found this in my front grill

GA Terminator

Established Member
Sorry guys but my camera is on the fritz, or I would have taken a pic to better describe what I found. I was doing a little detailing last night around my upper front grill opening when I noticed something hanging off of the hood release cable on the right hand side in front of the radiator. When I pulled it out it was a small thin piece of metal, about 2"x4", had a small hole punched on one end and was attached, wrapped, around the hood cable with wire. The thin piece of metal hung down about three inches with the wire. The plate had no markings either stamped or written on it but did have a small amout of body color paint overspray on it. Anybody ever seen or know what this is?? Could this maybe be some assembly guys idea of a prank, since this might rattel around and make one of those noises that you can never find??

Anyway you guys might want to take a look and see if you have one of these.

Thanks........

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
wow, I just looked and I got one too! :lol1:

well, not anymore I don't :)

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
it is most likely a blank butt tag. they wire tie those on on the radiator core support at the plant with the vin number rotation number etc... stamped on them. they get pulled off before the vehicle ships.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
GETTEUP said:
it is most likely a blank butt tag. they wire tie those on on the radiator core support at the plant with the vin number rotation number etc... stamped on them. they get pulled off befor the vehicle ships.

butt tag?

I think you mean buck tag

GA Terminator

Established Member
GETTEUP said:
it is most likely a blank butt tag. they wire tie those on on the radiator core support at the plant with the vin number rotation number etc... stamped on them. they get pulled off before the vehicle ships.

You are probably right. But it was interesting that there was nothing stamped or written on the matal tag. Thanks for the info....

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
GETTEUP said:
i work at ohio assembly. i used to pull them off the cars

was it common to have them not get stamped or do you think it was an extra one?

mine got fully painted on both sides (wire too) when they sprayed my car

I find it funny that I never spotted it in almost 3 yrs and I also don't remember it ever being discussed here

Last edited:

NY04snake

track rat
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
of course you realize that removing it diminishes the resale value of the car (for those of you who are anal about keeping it "factory")

NO... NO... the horror of it, I removed this "original" piece!! I will be banned from the MCA for life!

cobra-buck-tag50.jpg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
of course you realize that removing it diminishes the resale value of the car (for those of you who are anal about keeping it "factory")

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep... mine went in the "el gonezo" can about two months after getting it...

OH NO... :eek: :bash: (I saved my brake dust shields though :kaboom: -->anal :loser: )

Jimmy :smmon:

ModsAway

Established Member
GETTEUP said:
\]

you are correct, i work at ohio assembly. i used to pull them off the cars

Well get back to work because apparently no one replaced you and they are being left on cars. :poke:

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
The guy who is supposed to do that is laid off. With 95% of his pay. He has no intention of coming back any day soon as long as they keep this deal up. I mean god taking those tags off are tough especially after you just had a few:)

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
cpu77 said:
The guy who is supposed to do that is laid off. With 95% of his pay. He has no intention of coming back any day soon as long as they keep this deal up. I mean god taking those tags off are tough especially after you just had a few:)

Wow. This would be hilarious except that it could be true!!

mosconiac

Established Member
If you keep digging, you will find one of these...

IMG_3912small.jpg

Anyone know what the "MAN" stamp signifies...by coincidence my initials are MAN.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
You guys are laughing but I bet in 20 years restore guys will be paying big bucks for those tags. Probably be a 2 point deduction if you don't have a tag. :-D

Edit- Then the reproduction market will produce the tags at a fraction of the cost of the "real" ones...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread