Stock HE vs LFP HE - datalog files...

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I installed my LFP Heat Exchanger today. Install was very straightforward, all hardware needed was in the kit (though there wasn't much needed), and the instructions were clear and included pictures.

Prior to the install, I got the car good and warm (ie...heat soaked), and did a ~30 minute drive that I logged on my Autotap PDA. I then changed the HE, and did the same with the LFP unit. The results are below. The files are .csv format, and can be opened directly, or saved and viewed with MS Excel or Notepad. Please note that the files aren't physically big (about 180kb each), but they are quite long:

Stock HE Log File

LFP HE Log File

The last column of both files is the difference in Deg F between IAT1 & IAT2. The average for each column is at the very bottom of the file. Highly recommend scrolling down and taking a look - the data is rather surprising.

Both trips were the exact same route, and ended up being within about a minute of each other in length. Traffic was similar for both runs. Air was also simliar: Ambient Temp/Dew Point for the first run was 80F/62F, for the second was 81F/63F. It was cloudy for the first run, and partly sunny for the second. With the temps being close, that probably didn't make much of a difference, though it might have added a bit more heat to the road, and thus the air entering the HE might have been a bit warmer on the second (LFP) run.

Of note, with the LFP HE, there is a significant difference in the amount of flow through the reservoir when the pump was on. Don't know if it makes much of a difference - but might be a factor that would help keep temps cooler with a large aftermarket reservoir.

Also, please note that my data is pure street driving, no or very little boost - ie, I drove conservatively. Some have reported much larger differences in IAT2 temps on the dyno and at the track.

For those that have the time, I'd appreciate it if you would go through the data and provide your opinions/conclusions.

Thanks. :)

RJCobra

Established Member
Hard to make any conclusions from conservative driving, I think. I datalogged my IATs during my Dyno runs recently. With a lean A/F, 2.9 pulley, Ported Eaton, stock cooling system, IAT2s started in the 150's at idle (no cooldown from the highway), then dropped to the 130's during the runs. I can send you my datalog if you want and u can host it.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Howdy. My runs were simply to compare stock HE IAT2 readings to aftermarket HE IAT2 readings under typical driving conditions. I don't have the ability to do both that and back-to-back on the dyno, without changing out the HE a couple of times (and spending a couple hundred dollars on the dyno too).

If you have logs that compare a stock HE and an aftermarket HE on the dyno (back-to-back, no other changes, and the same basic conditions), then that would be very interesting to see.

RJCobra

Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
Howdy. My runs were simply to compare stock HE IAT2 readings to aftermarket HE IAT2 readings under typical driving conditions. I don't have the ability to do both that and back-to-back on the dyno, without changing out the HE a couple of times (and spending a couple hundred dollars on the dyno too).

If you have logs that compare a stock HE and an aftermarket HE on the dyno (back-to-back, no other changes, and the same basic conditions), then that would be very interesting to see.

I remember reading somewhere that Rick of Amazon Racing has that type of data.

RJCobra

Established Member
Tom's_03SVT said:
help out this datalog newb, is the after market exchanger better or the same as stock?!?!
The IAT2 is the intake air temp. after it comes thru the intercooler. We're looking for documented IAT2 temps before and after the HE install.
It will be difficult to scientifically prove if its better without controlling for variables like ambient temp., humidity, boost, engine load, tune, etc.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
My data is documentation of before and after HE install. It is not purely scientific (none of us have that capability), but it is real world. As has been noted, it is normal driving data - not race or dyno.

gregs 03 cobra

Established Member
Hey Bob!
Didn't see you at VMP yesterday, FFW not your game?
FWIW, I know that a bigger HE/resovoir has to help due to the capacity change but it is interesting to see hard data.

Users who are viewing this thread