Well The Motor is back inthe Chevelle !

Bel-Dooch

Established Member
Well The Motor is back inthe Chevelle ! UPDATE New pictures ~~

~~~ NEW PICTURES ~~~~~~ scroll down. .............

1970 Chevelle -400ci de-stroked to a 377.

Me power washing the under side of the body after the media blasting.
restoring70chevelle1ec.jpg

Body back on the frame. The frame was painted and new brake lines ran and new suspension.
12280522120id.jpg

The FireWall has already been painted silver. The car went back to the body shop Sunday so he could finish painting the body. I hope to have it back in about 4 weeks.

Sorry for the crappy pictures they were taken with my Nokia cam phone. I have better pics on my real cam (which is at my office). My best friend as I are trying to do as much of the work as possible with out taking it somewhere. We're doing all this out of my brothers garage. We started on this around Thanks Giving. We hope to have it back together around Fall time.

I will update this again when I get my cam from work.

Last edited:

04torchred

Established Member
Do you mean destroked 400? That would be a 377ci if I am correct not 383ci. If you have a 383ci(350 w/ 400 crank) you will have fun. The torque is awesome, I have one in my S-10 my dad and I built(425hp/500tq) and it pulls hard. Enjoy it.

Bel-Dooch

Established Member
04torchred said:
Do you mean destroked 400? That would be a 377ci if I am correct not 383ci. If you have a 383ci(350 w/ 400 crank) you will have fun. The torque is awesome, I have one in my S-10 my dad and I built(425hp/500tq) and it pulls hard. Enjoy it.

You're correct.
We bored and de-stroked Chevy 400ci, used Dart 215cc heads. We should be around 13.5:1 compression. I want to rev this thing to about 10 grand and have it hold up. LOL We'll see how well my plans work .....

Last edited:

04torchred

Established Member
Bel-Dooch said:
You're correct.
We bored and de-stroked Chevy 400ci, used Dart 215cc heads. We should be around 13.5:1 compression. I want to rev this thing to about 10 grand and have it hold up. LOL We'll see how well my plans work .....

Good heads, I made the numbers I posted above with Dart Iron Eagle 215cc(10.2:1 was measure compression)heads and no A/F tweaks, just played with timing. Our friend did not have A/F hooked up on his dyno yet. You should be able to see 7500rpm no problem with a good solid lifter or solid roller cam. I ran a hydraulic roller(234/238 @ 0.050) and that thing was just too heavy in the valve train department, was going to switch to a solid roller(244/248 @ 0.050 duration) and I figured peak power should have been made around 6300-6500rpm with that cam. Bought the Cobra so never got a chance to try a new cam and nitrous(Was hoping to make around 600-650 with a 150-175 shot). If you want to see north of 8000rpm for peak power production you best be looking for something in the 255-270 @ 0.050 range. Seen a lot of motors dynoed and you will need every bit of bumpstick to get there. Good luck and hope she works out. It is gonna idle at like 1500-2000rpm(whoomp...pause...whoomp...pause...whoomp) Gotta love it.

Bel-Dooch

Established Member
The problem I had with the cam was that I still have the 4 wheel drums(manual brakes). I didn't go over IIRC 248 480. I can go brake out the folder and see for sure but I think that was the biggest cam Summit said I should use with manual brakes. T400 tranny with a 2500 stall.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

04torchred

Established Member
Bel-Dooch said:
The problem I had with the cam was that I still have the 4 wheel drums(manual brakes). I didn't go over IIRC 248 480. I can go brake out the folder and see for sure but I think that was the biggest cam Summit said I should use with manual brakes. T400 tranny with a 2500 stall.

Thanks

Yeah you are gonna have no brakes as is. I was having to switch to a hydroboost setup to run off the powersteering because the brakes were crap and I had 234/238 with almost 0.600" valve lift(1.6 rocker) I think I had like 8-10" of vacuum at idle. I will try and find the hydroboost company I was gonna buy from after I get home tonight, have a midterm in Mechanics of Materials(should be a gooder)

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Bel-Dooch said:

Thanks

Not to be a complete tool, but if you have manual (non-power) brakes, why do you care about the cam, you won't need vacum for the brakes anyway, go big and nasty...

maybe I'm missing something.

And yes, I know all about the manual drum brakes. People wonder why I sit so close to the steering wheel... :shrug: Fred Flinstone has nothing on me at the end of a run down the 1320

04torchred

Established Member
ElGato said:
Not to be a complete tool, but if you have manual (non-power) brakes, why do you care about the cam, you won't need vacum for the brakes anyway, go big and nasty...

maybe I'm missing something.

And yes, I know all about the manual drum brakes. People wonder why I sit so close to the steering wheel... :shrug: Fred Flinstone has nothing on me at the end of a run down the 1320

You are correct I totally missed that. Just have to stomp the pedal hard, just invest $300 in a hydroboost setup and have good brakes, well worth the safety.

Bel-Dooch

Established Member
Well the motor is back out of the car. we weren't happy with the firewall. We had the body man slick the passenger side and now we want the drivers side done as well. So we pulled the motor, the steering colum, master cyclinder and the factor wiring harness. Then I started cutting.

He, the bodyman started dry fitting the new door and the fenders. The door handles have been shaved.

Here's the way it looks now.

Last edited:

Bel-Dooch

Established Member
Tony 96 Cobra said:
Cool project. Here is a pic of my 65 I just purchased about 3 weeks ago. Planning complete disassembly next winter.

FrontAngleWeb.jpg

It's diffently fun to restore something. But I should have just bought another house with all the money I have tied up in this thing already. I only planned to have around 10K in this thing and be done and driving it. But that didn't work out to well. I have allot more then that in it already and I'm not even finished yet and I've been doing allot of the work myself! Be ready to drop some coin !

When will it end ???

P.S. sweet car !

Last edited:

Bel-Dooch

Established Member
Well my body man called me and told me he had everything lined up and will be painting it the first of next week. So maybe I will have it back allot sooner then I thought. He said all he had left to do was finish the trunk lid and trim it out and then he's going to spray it all at once.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Users who are viewing this thread